ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Should I apply for ILR now or in Sep 2018?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

arsat14
Newly Registered

Should I apply for ILR now or in Sep 2018?

Post by arsat14 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:08 am

Hi,

I have become eligible for ILR based on 10 year route. I am currently on Tier 2 visa (for 3 years) and my wife is Tier 2 Dependent. My wife is Tier 2 dependent for 3 years so she needs to be on tier 2 dependent for another 2 years to qualify for ILR. (we both have valid 2 year tier 2 and depandant visa which will make us both qualify in two years)

I have two options I think (please correct me if I am wrong)

1. I switch to ILR now, my wife will seitch to FLR(M) or (O) which will reset her clock for ILR
2. My wife and I stay on tier 2 for another 2 years so that my wife qualifies as well in two years. Both of us apply for ILR in two years time.

if I go for option 2, I run the risk of rules changing and who knows what the rules will be in two years time from now. If I go for option 1, my wife's clock for ILR will reset.

Am I correct in my assumptions?
Any suggestion? I cant make up my mind , please help me or correct me if I am wrong in my thinking.

cyborg001

Re: Should I apply for ILR now or in Sep 2018?

Post by cyborg001 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:54 pm

Tough choice! I'd say ILR'ise one of you so you are 'safe' and nothing to fear ahead given how things are changing. If your relationship is strong and subsisting then it doesn't really matter in the long run if you lose 1-2 years in grand scheme of things. :)

Though I don't see any rules changing for 10 year route plus you will also qualify under Tier 2 route if they close 10 year route...

paradoxical
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by paradoxical » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:09 pm

The other thing is, there is always some notice before very drastic rule changes.. It is a tough choice but if I were you, I might just continue on Tier 2 while keeping a close eye on any rule changes (assuming you have no intention of changing your employer and are happy with the current job)..
And in case there is any announcement of a rule change, you can immediately apply for your own ILR..my 2 cents

cyborg001

Post by cyborg001 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:23 pm

paradoxical wrote:The other thing is, there is always some notice before very drastic rule changes.. It is a tough choice but if I were you, I might just continue on Tier 2 while keeping a close eye on any rule changes (assuming you have no intention of changing your employer and are happy with the current job)..
And in case there is any announcement of a rule change, you can immediately apply for your own ILR..my 2 cents
Agreed, rule changes don't happen overnight so you should have every opportunity to apply for ILR.

arsat14
Newly Registered

Post by arsat14 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:08 am

cyborg001 wrote:
paradoxical wrote:The other thing is, there is always some notice before very drastic rule changes.. It is a tough choice but if I were you, I might just continue on Tier 2 while keeping a close eye on any rule changes (assuming you have no intention of changing your employer and are happy with the current job)..
Agreed, rule changes don't happen overnight so you should have every opportunity to apply for ILR.
Brilliant, thanks for your suggestions guys.

This is what I am doing, stay on Tier 2 for now and keep an eye on the rules, if they change then I apply for ILR in time to secure my self :)

Thanks again