ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English test requirement A2 now?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tbbcuk

English test requirement A2 now?

Post by tbbcuk » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:35 am

My wife will be applying spouse visa extension, FLR M in Oct, the website still not confirm if it is A2, does anyone know if A2 is definitely needed for all Oct and onward aplication?

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: English test requirement A2 now?

Post by Casa » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:25 am

To the best of my knowledge there has been no confirmed date to raise the English language requirement to A2 level for the second FLR(M) extension.

The 04/16 application form hasn't yet been updated.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

huqqapani
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by huqqapani » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:18 am

Casa wrote:To the best of my knowledge there has been no confirmed date to raise the English language requirement to A2 level for the second FLR(M) extension.

The 04/16 application form hasn't yet been updated.
Sorry to hijack this post however my question is the same as OP's.
is it actually decided that it WILL be raised? I remember my wife applied for FLR M successfully with A1 certification in April 2014? If so, I may need to send the extension application in sooner than planned. Her visa runs out 15/11/16. Can I send the application in on around 16/10/16?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:07 pm

The application can be submitted 28 days before the expiry date. If your wife submits any earlier than this she would have to apply for an additional visa extension to make up any shortfall.

The decision to raise the level to A2 for the second extension has been confirmed as not earlier than October 2016.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new- ... mily-route
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

huqqapani
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by huqqapani » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:18 pm

So assuming an exact date doesn't get announced until mid October then her existing language test certificate will remain valid?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:23 pm

huqqapani wrote:So assuming an exact date doesn't get announced until mid October then her existing language test certificate will remain valid?
Yes
(Casa, not CR001)

tbbcuk

Post by tbbcuk » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:40 pm

Thank you casa, so if my wife pass A2 and submit FLR while Home Office still not confirmed they need A2, it will still be ok right? as A2 is harder than A1 am I correct?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:44 pm

Correct
(Casa, not CR001)

John Green

Post by John Green » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:45 pm

Also sorry to butt in.

But once my wife gets the spouse visa, she will eventually need to take this A2 English language test.

There is a local course that runs English classes that give certificates organised by CITY AND GUILDS.

The question is whether these City and Guilds certificates awarded by this course would be acceptable to demonstrate she passed English at the A2 level. If City and Guilds awards are acceptable, at what level would she have to reach to be equivolent to the A2 level required for FLR?

Is there some sort of official guidance on this please?

Or are City and Guilds awards not part of the system that is recognised for this specific immigration purpose?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:00 pm

John Green wrote:Also sorry to butt in.

But once my wife gets the spouse visa, she will eventually need to take this A2 English language test.

There is a local course that runs English classes that give certificates organised by CITY AND GUILDS.

The question is whether these City and Guilds certificates awarded by this course would be acceptable to demonstrate she passed English at the A2 level. If City and Guilds awards are acceptable, at what level would she have to reach to be equivolent to the A2 level required for FLR?

Is there some sort of official guidance on this please?

Or are City and Guilds awards not part of the system that is recognised for this specific immigration purpose?
Yes there certainly is official guidance on which tests/test providers will be approved....which is why I posted the link in this thread. :idea:

And yes, your wife will need to pass A2 level for her first FLR(M) extension. However, by then the level may be raised even higher. No one can say what the Immigration Rules will be in 2.5 years time.
(Casa, not CR001)