ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Cost of living in London and budget sample

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

danonne
Newly Registered

Cost of living in London and budget sample

Post by danonne » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:28 pm

Very Important: Please comment and help me improve this.

Hi everybody!

This is my first post here - I have joined a little while ago and have been reading a lot on this forum. The reason I have not posted here until now is that I found everything I needed without asking questions :) .

However there is one aspect of UK immigration that I cannot seem to find proper answers to anywhere on the web. Although this forum comes closest to answering some of the questions I would like to start a new thread and hopefully have a full resource (first on the web so far I think) for people with similar problems.

Over the last few months I have done a lot of research in my quest to understand the cost of living in London and to compile a sample budget for newcomers to the city. This budget is split in to two options first is a single person living on their own and second is a married couple living together. The reason for this is that my plan is to make the move on my own, settle down, and then a few months later my wife will join me.

I spent many, many hours on property websites, (rightmove, thinkproperty, findaproperty and others), TFL site, Supermarkets, Household and Furniture stores, and just talking to people who live in London or near it.

Here is what I came up with so far:

The basic regular expenses are – Rent, Council tax, Utilities (Water, Electricity, Sanitation, Gas), Phone (cellphones and landline), Transport (car or public transport or both), Groceries and General household consumables (personal care {excluding cosmetics}, household chemicals, laundry) Internet and TV licence.

These basics do not include clothes and shoes. Firstly I am planning to bring quite a lot of that with me when I arrive (and I assume others will do the same) and secondly in my opinion this is a very unpredictable expense and will vary greatly from person to person.

Keeping the above in mind here are some figures I came up with (these are explained below):

Item...................1 person...........Multiplier..........2 people

Rent......................850...................1.5.................1275
Council tax............150....................1.5.................225
Utilities..................120....................1.5.................180
Phone.....................45....................1.8..................81
Transport..............220.....................2...................440
Groceries etc.........200.....................2...................400
Internet.................20......................1....................20
TV licence..............12......................1....................12

Total:...................1617........................................2633

Ok let me explain my reasoning behind these numbers.

I know that you may be able to get away with quite a bit less than the 850 I allocated to rent, but I do not want to share accommodation and am willing to pay a little more for my own one bedroom place (or good studio). Yes, I also know that it will depend on where in London you look in terms of price that is why I used north-west London as my bench mark because, if I’m not mistaken, it is the most expensive part of London generally, and if I can find a place to rent there for this price, I should be able to find the same quality/size elsewhere cheaper or better for the same price.
Council tax is an estimate and I may be completely wrong here but from what I understood from people living in London the figure is somewhat accurate.
Utilities include Water, Electricity, Sanitation, and Gas. This figure again is an estimate based on information gathered from people living in or around London.
The phone charges are based on prices from BT website and Vodafone and Orange offers. The figure under one person includes one cellphone contract with roughly 300 minutes anytime talk time and 500 texts, and a landline rent and a few calls (as most calls will be made from the cellphone).
Transport is a very unpredictable thing. I assume that I will be using public transport as I have no problem with that and in some way it even appeals to me. So there is no car included in to the transport figure. The figure was calculated based on information from TFL website using weekly passes.
Groceries etc – this figure was calculated by doing some online shopping, my wife and I took our weekly shopping list and went shopping at Tesco (I think it was Tesco)… if not then it was another major UK supermarket. The figure includes only home prepared food (in other words no pub or restaurant meals) it also includes some toiletries and basic household chemicals.
Internet – some people may discount this altogether as they may find it unnecessary, for me the Internet is very important as it will be used for Job hunting, communications with family and entertainment.
TV Licence - yeah for many people it may be wierd but you have to pay a licence to own a TV in the UK... actually here in SA you also have to payit.

Add them all up and you get the total.
Now for the multiplier – I used different multipliers to get from 1 person figures to 2 people figures as some of the numbers do not need to be a direct X2 multiplication.
Again with accommodation I understand that one can get away with less but this is a figure I found I am comfortable with. If you wish to change it – I’m not stopping anybody.
The rest is pretty self explanatory.

This is my thinking so you may have to adjust the numbers according to your ideas or findings. Also keep in mind that these were calculated based on research done during November 2007 – January 2008.

Ok so this is about it in terms of the basics.
The reason I did not include anything else in to this calculation is that I want to know what are the most basic expenses before any extra or luxury expenses are consider.

According to listentotaxman website 27k per year will give you 1673.26 per month after tax and national insurance. This means that it is the absolute minimum one will have to earn in order to pay the very basic bills. It is obviously unrealistic to say that if you make 20k you’ll be able to survive, as there will always be other expenses no matter what. Yes it is possible to cut some of the expenses mentioned above but it still will not give you much to play with.
As for the 2 people figure – a salary of 44k will give you 2636.13 per month which means you will once again barely cover the bills. The situation is a little easier here if both people work since they have to each be making about 22k to be able to manage the bills.

Ok now I have a few questions for anybody who is living in London (or has lived there recently). I am looking for opinions, if possible backed up by facts or experience. So please if you don’t have anything meaningful to add – don’t post things like “Well, it dependsâ€
Last edited by danonne on Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:19 pm

I am VERY impressed!

I think your figures are close to being spot on.

My boyfriend and I live in North London, and while we pay a little less in rent and a little more in council tax than your table, the total is about right. Also, if you cook (as I do) you can massively decrease your grocery bill.

I also think your salary expectations are reasonable, and your chances of securing employment should be pretty good. But scout around some recruitment sites first, so that you can get a better idea of what is available.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

kkashif
Newly Registered

Post by kkashif » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:00 pm

hi

i am very much impressed too. i am also collecting now a days information about an estimated budget and i must say that you are almost accurate.

thank you very much for this informative mail.

regards

kashif

danonne
Newly Registered

Thanx

Post by danonne » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:52 pm

Hi guys

Thanx for the positive feedback!
It took quite a bit of time and effort but I hope once i get a bit more feedback and do any needed adjustments it should help other people too. :)

Victoria, I have had a look at Jobsite, Jobserve and Moster and seems like it is a bit of a quiet season right now as the number of suitable positions for me, though still reasonably high, are a little less than they were in November / December. But since I am planning to arrive in about August - I'm sure it will be fine. Also I will try to get a transfer with my current company as they have offices in Uk as well.
Oh, and thanx for your reply to my private mesage too :)

Dan

arsenalsri

Post by arsenalsri » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:17 pm

It is an excellent collection and very very informative. you may probably want to factor in the cost of tv license as well.

Indians can check this link and they can also get a fair idea of the cost of things and plan a budget.

http://www.kiranreddys.com/ukstuff/cost.html

P.S : I don't have anything to do with the site, It was something I found when researching on costs of living

danonne
Newly Registered

Post by danonne » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:47 pm

thanx for the link, arsenalsri.

My wife and I are white but we love indian food - so the site will be more helpfull to me than you may have thought.

I see it provides some estimates on expences other than the basics that i have mentioned. I will try to factor these in to my next section which will deal with the next "level" of expences.

You mentioned TV license - can anybody let me know what the price is exactly? how is it paid too (monthly, quaterly)?

Dan

SKUK
Member of Standing

Post by SKUK » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:55 pm

TV License costs around 135 Pounds..you can pay this yearly, quarterly or monthly......

Also Dan, the latest news is that Energy companies are increasing prices by around 15 - 20 %..so add this to your utility bills....

arsenalsri

Post by arsenalsri » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:24 am

135.50 for Colour Television and 45.50 for Black and White. Think it can be paid monthly, quaterly and annualy

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/index.jsp
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/waystopay/ ... .jsp#link1

danonne
Newly Registered

changes done

Post by danonne » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:29 am

Ok, I have edited my original post.
I increased the Utility bill by 20% and added the TV licence charge (i used the monthly charge of 12 pound as this is how all my other number work).
This actually moved the minium wage for a single person up to 22k from 20k. This minimal wage is based on barely making your mandatory monthly bills.

Ok in the next section I would like to put together other expences that people are likely to incur on a monthly basis. My ultimate goal here is to be able to build a table of income levels and expences that the relevant income will allow for.
The expences will be split in to 4 major groups:
1. Basic monthly expences (as listed in the table in my original post)
2. General expences (these are things you would do or buy regularly and you may even need some of these but if you simply cannot afford them you can do without them. Things like Clothes, going out, better furniture, etc.)
3. Savings (this is money you put away in to an investment account or something similar)
4. Luxury (Holliday trips, jewlery, expensive designer clothes etc)

If you can, please suggest in your posts things that in your oppinion would fall in to categories 2, 3 and 4. Once I have a list of things I will continue researching the prices and perhaps soon will put up a new table for the next level.

Ajay Kumar Singh

Quite close

Post by Ajay Kumar Singh » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:10 pm

danonne you are quite close and your figure looks to be real.

However there are plenty of other variables which affect the living in London.

1) If you are working out of London and take train to work then add 300+ for it (London comm. included)

2) Council Tax - I've doubt over your figure. make it 150+ if you are not sharing

3) Phone.....................45
This not true. You got to get it free :) Take a mobile on cash back and it would cost less than 10 quid a month

So do minus here and make it 10-25

Groceries - say add 50 quid in it if you are not dieting ..

Rest seems to be quite realistic.

chandra28
Newly Registered

london avg studio prices

Post by chandra28 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:14 pm

dan, hi i was in london for two months in oct & nov ( and hv lived there bfr too while i was studying). these two months i was staying with a friend and was just researching on studio prices ( the studio would include a small Spam, bathroom and a decent sized room), this comes to an avg starting rate of 180-190 pounds and doesnt include bills ( water, elec, council, gas ) so i would say put your rent figure as atleast 760..
also grocery 160 pounds would come to around 5 pounds per day, but i think you would need atleast 210 ( avgng 7 pounds a day) - i hv included things like water, bread, vegetables etc
as regards transport in london if you are travelling only zone 1 & zone 2 your tube expenses would come to about 7 pounds a day or if you stay in others zones, i think you would hv to factor in 10 pounds a day
plus the internet if you want a decent speed would cost you about 24 pounds a month
as for mobile phones - i used a pay as you go connection there and the charges works to about 15 p a minute and 10 p for a msg, you could use this till you shift to another long term scheme.. plus you might telephone cards to call back home, and this would cost you about 3-5 pounds a card and give you about an hours talk time.. if you have a landline connection then you can use it to dial the toll free no to use the card, if you use your mobile you wouldnt be able to use the toll free no
will try to remember the cost of some the other essential expenses i had and post it here
i think the minimum figure for one person would hv to be atleast 25000.. and even this would just about cover it - 9000 odd for accomodation expenses ( rent, bills etc) 9000 odd for living expenses ( travel, food, net, fone, + about 200 pounds a month other expenses - could be anything right from posting applications to buying stationery, medicines or anything like that) + taxes ( national insurance, income tax)
but your article was really good.. thanks for sharing it
Last edited by chandra28 on Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wanna_bee
Mood:
India

Post by wanna_bee » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:23 am

one question out of curiosity :- why consider London only ? surely there must be other cities in UK which are good for IT and which must be cheaper ? can anyone throw some light on this ?

danonne
Newly Registered

Post by danonne » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:49 am

Another edit to the original post.
I have increased the Rent, Council Tax, Transport, and Groceries etc figures according to new info. I actually checked property sites and it seems like the new number is more realistic than the previous 700 I had there. As I mentioned - you can get away with quite a bit less if you share, but I just dont think I can do it (if I have a choice).
Transport was probably a bit undervalued because I was planning to make sure I dont live too far from work. But since thats a bit unpreditable, at least at first... I made that number bigger too.
Groceries I had a problem with increasing, but I did anyway just to be safe. Both my wife and I cook quite well (and enjoy it) so the chances are that if we are eating at home then its home made food not take aways or something like that.
Also council tax - it seems like I may have underestimated that. Well its ok, its gone up in my table now.

This has now pushed the minimal wage up as well (again).

danonne
Newly Registered

Post by danonne » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:58 am

wanna_bee wrote:one question out of curiosity :- why consider London only ? surely there must be other cities in UK which are good for IT and which must be cheaper ? can anyone throw some light on this ?
To reply to this - this is my point of view. I have no problem living in other cities, but i feel that there is a better chance of me finding employment in London. I have actually been contacted by somebody from Maidenhead (thats about 20 - 30 Km away from London) regarding a job in that area and I would have no problem taking something like that. But at the moment I think its easier to focus on London.

SKUK
Member of Standing

Post by SKUK » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:41 am

London is the nerve centre of UK. It's advisable to come down to London first (unless you have ready accomo in another city/town like ur friend or relative), search & apply for Jobs and be prepared to move to any city within UK for the job. This is my opinion, others may differ.

Wannabee, IT jobs are everywhere, but of course more concentrated in London as it's the global financial capital. I once worked in a software company which was based in a village, yes, typical English country side, with a river beside and lush green meadows all around with lots of well bred horses grazing.....

quite eager

Post by quite eager » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:56 pm

Can someone provide some info about cost of living in Manchester? Is there any website providng info about manchester?
Quite Eager

danonne
Newly Registered

Post by danonne » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:21 pm

Hi quite eager, :)

one of the reasons i started this thread is because i could not find any good indication of what the cost of living is anywhere in the UK...
you may find bits a pieces here and there on the web but nothing really conclusive.
I would suggest - go to property sites, look for property in Manchester. That will cover the biggest expence. Then, if I'm not mistaken, the prices for everything else are about 10% - 20% less than in London. Except things like Phone and Internet (im sure those are pretty much the same all over - but then have a look at BT.co.uk and Vodafone and such... see what you can dig up there). Also transport may be different because I am not sure what kind of transport system they have in Manchester, so you may need to budget for a car.

Dan

arsenalsri

Post by arsenalsri » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:51 am

Danone,
Another point one might want to consider is the expected change in the tax rates for the year 2008-2009. You may perhaps want to factor that in also to see whether the expected minimum wages go up or down marginally/substantially.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/it.htm

danonne
Newly Registered

Post by danonne » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:41 am

arsenalsri,

According to listentotaxman.com after April 2008 - the basic 10% rate is going to be abolished and the 22% will drop to 20%. This means that the after tax income will be higher. I dont think it will significantly reduce the minimal required income level, but I guess we will see.

Dan

Ajay Kumar Singh

Post by Ajay Kumar Singh » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:39 pm

wanna_bee wrote:one question out of curiosity :- why consider London only ? surely there must be other cities in UK which are good for IT and which must be cheaper ? can anyone throw some light on this ?
Make it London + a big circle around it to cover surrounding area + Cambridge + few other cities

Beyond that it is black hole for the job.

Do a search for any job and see the location cloud, it would be London + big circle.

It is not only the nerve but it is the place where you chances of getting job would be highest.

There are jobs out of London but very rare.

coronat
Newly Registered

Post by coronat » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:09 pm

oxford/swindon/bracknell/newbury area are good for IT jobs, Im a cisco trained network engineer and managed to get 3 offers 2 in newbury and one in bracknell ranging between 30k and 45k (CCNA/CCDA 3yrs networking hands on in South Africa) the cost of living is marginally cheaper but still high (accomodation) but you dont have the hassle of commuting and the costs associated with travelling too..I have a lot of recruitment contacts if you need any....just pm me...

kmehta

Post by kmehta » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:57 am

I had pm you. please see and reply.

ashik_a_s

Hi Guys

Post by ashik_a_s » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:41 am

Does an offer of 25000 GBP is good one to be in Birmingham????
EC Applied Date : 16-01-2008
VFS Bangalore
BHC: Chennai
Integra: --No Idea When happened
Result : EC Stamped

ThirdWorldTraveller
Member of Standing

Re: Hi Guys

Post by ThirdWorldTraveller » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:12 pm

ashik_a_s wrote:Does an offer of 25000 GBP is good one to be in Birmingham????
A gross income of GBP 25K is coming around GBP 1560 for monthly take home. If you pay 1K for rent+utilities+tax, you will have 500 odd bucks for other expenses.

You figure it out.
Third World Traveller

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:34 pm

Well, 1100 is normal fixed expenses and you will normally end up paying 300 for food/travel etc..
Dont think 25K is good enough salary ,but it is better to have some job in hand while you are searching for a job