ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Urgent OCI query

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Anndeep

Urgent OCI query

Post by Anndeep » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:18 am

Hello

I am really confused about the procedure for OCI.

Once I have completed the online OCI application do I need to go to VFS?

Or I need to wait for my online application status to change "OCI received in London" then I need to go to VFS.

Please kindly help.

Thanks

itsmylife

Re: Urgent OCI query

Post by itsmylife » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:26 am

You will need to book an appointment with VFS and carry the required documents
http://www.vfsglobal.com/India/UK/sched ... tment.html

KeepCalm4OCI
Newly Registered

Post by KeepCalm4OCI » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:54 am

Hi,

After you have completed the online application, you will need to upload your photo, signature and the documents on the basis of which you are claiming OCI ( Ex Surrender Certificate and Photo page of your British passport.)

You will then need to print the application form ( 1 copy )
Get an appointment at the VFS centres ( I recommend Goswell Road )

You will need to submit
1. Application form with 1 photo stuck and 1 extra photo
2. Original British Passport and a self attested copy
3. Surrender certificate and a self attested copy
4. Naturalisation certificate and a self attested copy
5. 2 self addressed prepaid special delivery envelopes
6. Cash or Debit card ( approx 183 pounds )

Original passport is given back to you

Original Surrender certificate and Naturalisation certificates will be sent by post in 10 days via special delivery envelope
2nd Special delivery envelope will be returned back to you after scanning to bring it back at the time when your OCI arrives in London and you have to visit the VFS again.

And then wait for 6 weeks and check online status of your application

When completed you will need to visit the VFS again with your British passport / status update / Receipt / Special delivery envelope scanned earlier.

Good luck

Anndeep

Post by Anndeep » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:08 pm

Thank you for your most helpful and clear reply. I have now understood the process.
Many thanks again

pogotosh
Newly Registered

Post by pogotosh » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:38 pm

Hi KeepCalm,

Thanks a lot for laying down the steps. This is super useful.However, can I clarify a couple of points you have made.

"Original passport is given back to you"
Just to double check, is this returned immediately on the day of your appointment? I am planning to travel to India in December and was going to apply for an e-visa while simultaneously starting my OCI process. Hence, wondering if this Is possible or if I am being too optimistic and placing too much faith in Indian bureaucracy :)
2. "When completed you will need to visit the VFS again with your British passport / status update / Receipt / Special delivery envelope scanned earlier."
I noticed this point on the VFS website as well. But can you please clarify this process better? What does the status update really mean? Is it the approval of our OCI Card? Hence do we need to go into the VFS office again to submit the envelope so that they can actually then send us the approved OCI card? Just confused as to why they dont just retain the 2nd envelope and automatically send us the OCI card once it has been approved? And what about the British Passport ? Is that given back to us immediately on our 2nd visit as well or will this be returned with the OCI card via Special Delivery/Courier?
Finally any particular reason why you recommend Goswell Road over Paddington?

Thanks for your help in advance!

KeepCalm4OCI
Newly Registered

Post by KeepCalm4OCI » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:02 pm

pogotosh wrote:Hi KeepCalm,

Thanks a lot for laying down the steps. This is super useful.However, can I clarify a couple of points you have made].

"Original passport is given back to you"
Just to double check, is this returned immediately on the day of your appointment? I am planning to travel to India in December and was going to apply for an e-visa while simultaneously starting my OCI process. Hence, wondering if this Is possible or if I am being too optimistic and placing too much faith in Indian bureaucracy :)

for the purpose of when you are applying for OCI they check the passport with the attested copy and give it back to you immediately. Yes you can do both processes simultaneously

When you go to get the OCI ( second visit ) they take the passport and send it back to you in a week
2. "When completed you will need to visit the VFS again with your British passport / status update / Receipt / Special delivery envelope scanned earlier."
I noticed this point on the VFS website as well. But can you please clarify this process better? What does the status update really mean? Is it the approval of our OCI Card? Hence do we need to go into the VFS office again to submit the envelope so that they can actually then send us the approved OCI card? Just confused as to why they dont just retain the 2nd envelope and automatically send us the OCI card once it has been approved? And what about the British Passport ? Is that given back to us immediately on our 2nd visit as well or will this be returned with the OCI card via Special Delivery/Courier?

Status update means you need to check online to see if your OCI has been approved printed and sent to London. Yes you have to go to VFS again to submit he scanned envelope and British passport. I guess they dont retain it as they have thousands of application and chances are they will loose it or mix it up ( DATA Protection ACT ) I believe they take 7 - 10 days for British Passport / OCI via Special delivery to be sent back to you on the second visit. I havent reached that part yet.
Finally any particular reason why you recommend Goswell Road over Paddington?

Goswell Road wasnt crowded, helpful staff close to a post office ( 8 minutes walk ) near Old Street station just in case. Convenient for me to travel from London Bridge.

When I visited Paddington Office it took me a while to fin the entrance and was crowded.

Thanks for your help in advance!

pogotosh
Newly Registered

Post by pogotosh » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:32 am

Thanks a lot for your clarifications KeepCalm. Much appreciated.