ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

90 Day Tourist > WHV

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Dan01
Newly Registered

90 Day Tourist > WHV

Post by Dan01 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:03 am

Just wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to switch from a 90 day tourist stamp to a Working Holiday Visa. I'm a Canadian citizen who will be on a 12 month WHV. However, I'd rather spend the first couple of months traveling around as a tourist instead of eating up my 1 year WHV time. Is this possible? Would I have to leave the country before coming back on the WHV and registering with Immigration?

The thing is, I have to choose when the WHV begins before I leave. The last thing I want is to be denied entry/told to leave AFTER my Visa has started.

The last time I was in Ireland I was only given 30 days to register with immigration upon arrival in Dublin. But that's probably because I told them I was on a WHV right away and not a short-term tourist. (that was a student-WHV...this one will be a one-time *non student* WHV).

Thanks

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:36 pm

Other Working Holiday visas (Australia & UK, for example) are a once in a lifetime item.

Ireland allows you to get more than one ..? Also, others can be for up to two years. If Ireland offers a two year option, try to get that one and your problem is simplified & solved.

I don't know for certain, but I suspect you probably have to leave the country between status as a visit visa and a WHV. It may be as simple as entering the UK (with a stamp in your passport) for one day & then returning to Ireland.

the Admin

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:54 pm

http://www.swap.ca/out_eng/faq_ireland.aspx

I found this site, and it seems you must be in Canada to apply for the WHV.

Dan01
Newly Registered

Post by Dan01 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:32 pm

Yes, SWAP (Student Work Abroad Programme, for Canadians) offers both a student WHV and a non-student WHV. Both are for 12 months and they can't be repeated.

I know you have to be in Canada to apply, but I was wondering if they make you leave and then come back after your 90 days are up. It seems they don't (based on a reply I received to my cross-post on movetoireland.com). Since Canadians don't require tourist visas, they can tour around for up to 90 days before beginning work. So basically I just need to set my WHV start day for 90 days after I arrive...so there's no overlap. Which is what I wanted.

Thanks for the replies anyway.