ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA ANd Non EEA move to England

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

scimo

Post by scimo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:09 pm

Hi,
i am realy very happy to find out this forum.
thanks a lot of to Admin and Team and all members. you do good job.

my Question IS:
i am german and my wife is non EEA National, we are living in germany.
we wanna to move in london for living there and working.
how can I do it?
If she get EEA Family Permit for 6months, how long she can stay there and how can she applying for 5 years EEA family permit.

i am very thankfull for your guidance,
Any help wold be highly appreciated.
Thank you very much.
best regards
scimo
Last edited by scimo on Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:46 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

scimo

Re: EEA ANd Non EEA move to England

Post by scimo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:35 pm

a lot of thanx for your answer.

can you Please explain me here: i am confuse here.
i am german, can i stay without any registration long time in the uk or only 3 months. or what i do for long time stay in the uk.. and also my non EEA national wife: she have EEA family permit: Thanx in advanced

Do I have a right to live and work in the UK?
European Community law gives EEA nationals a right to live and work in the UK. This is called a right of residence.

You have an initial right of residence in the UK for three months if you are an EEA national. You would lose this right of residence if you or your family members became an unreasonable burden on the social assistance system of the UK.

If you are an EEA national and you want to live in the UK for more than three months, you must be a 'qualified person'. A qualified person means an EEA national who is in the UK as:

a jobseeker
a worker
a self-employed person
a self-sufficient person (someone who can support themselves financially), or
a student.

You do not need a work permit to work in the UK but you may need to register as a worker under the Worker Registration Scheme (see below).

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:08 pm

If you are working in the UK, you and your family can stay for as long as you want in the UK.

You are not required to apply for anything as an EU citizen. Your non-EU spouse should probably apply for an EEA family permit before entering the UK which is an easy way to prove that they have a right to work, and then as soon as you are working in the UK they should apply for a Residence Card.

Einfach!

scimo

Post by scimo » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:05 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:If you are working in the UK, you and your family can stay for as long as you want in the UK.

You are not required to apply for anything as an EU citizen. Your non-EU spouse should probably apply for an EEA family permit before entering the UK which is an easy way to prove that they have a right to work, and then as soon as you are working in the UK they should apply for a Residence Card.

Einfach!
Thanks alot for the info mate :D
vielen dank,

geracsso
Newly Registered

Post by geracsso » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:07 pm

hi,

im from germany as well, so im eu citizen.
did i understand this right: i am allowed to stay in the uk without a time limit, as long as im supporting myself or am working? i dont need a work permit and can pursue any kind of job (given i am qualified and excepted by the employer)?

another question to getting a job: do i need to apply for a tax file number or NI number or anything of that sort before I enter a position or is that being dealt with by the employer?

do i HAVE to apply for a residence permit or is that obligatory? if im allowed to stay in the UK as an EU citizen as long as i want it shouldnt be compulsory, should it?

thanks for taking the time!

G.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:29 pm

geracsso wrote:hi,

im from germany as well, so im eu citizen.
did i understand this right: i am allowed to stay in the uk without a time limit, as long as im supporting myself or am working? i dont need a work permit and can pursue any kind of job (given i am qualified and excepted by the employer)?

another question to getting a job: do i need to apply for a tax file number or NI number or anything of that sort before I enter a position or is that being dealt with by the employer?

do i HAVE to apply for a residence permit or is that obligatory? if im allowed to stay in the UK as an EU citizen as long as i want it shouldnt be compulsory, should it?

thanks for taking the time!

G.
If you are an EU citizen you have a right to live in the UK unrestricted, and you do not need to notify the UK authorities of your presence. You can simply turn up and start working. And of course you can do any type of job! That's the whole point of the EU...obviously some jobs are restricted to UK citizens only, like some posts in the civil service or MI5, but otherwise you can apply for any job.

Your national insurance is for tax and pension purposes. I'm not 100% sure how it works to obtain one...mine just arrived through the post before I was 16 so I've never had to apply for one! I do believe, though, that you can go to your local job centre and apply for one there, with identification.

This website explains it: http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/ni_number.asp

You don't need to apply for anything to live in the UK as an EU citizen. Absolutely nothing. If, however, you have a non-EU partner, then it would be best for that person to apply for an EEA family permit, otherwise it might prove difficult to live/work in the UK without proof of status.

geracsso
Newly Registered

Post by geracsso » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:38 pm

thx :)

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:22 pm

You typically apply for a UK national insurance number shortly after starting your first job.

Note that you can work at any job, or be self employed. You can also have a part time job. Or study. Or being self sufficient and just enjoying life. Each of these is sufficient for staying in the UK for the first 5 years, and then after that you can stay on what ever basis you want.

Some (but not all) non-EU citizens may need an UK issued "EEA family permit" to enter the UK. Once they are here, it is best for them to apply for a Residence Card to prove to potential employers that they have the right to work.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:10 pm

My wife has not applied for the EEA FP and is currently on a visitors visa which expires in 1 month. On entry to the UK she was told that she should have applied for the EEA FP and as such her visitors visa says no work and recourse to public funds.

Am I right in thinking that she could apply for her residence card straight away without having to leave the country to apply for the EEA FP although she was advised too by the immigration officer at the port of entry that she should have applied for the EEA FP?

If she is able to apply for the residence permit as she is already in the UK on a visitors visa, we will logged her EEA 2 with the Home Office before the expiry date of her visitors visa. Whist under consideration by the Home Office, what will be her legal status in the UK? Would she still able to take up offers of employment? The reason for asking is that her visitors visa says no work or recourse to public funds but I am not sure if the 'no work'' proviso is not applicable as she is the spouse of an EU Citizen, pls advise.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:47 am

scimo wrote:H
my Question IS:
Can she become a German citizen?

scimo

Post by scimo » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:21 am

JAJ wrote:
scimo wrote:H
my Question IS:
Can she become a German citizen?
yes, she can apply for german citizen, but it long period, and we are planing to this year, if she have EEA family permit and we are move to Uk she have 6 months time to apply toEEA2,
one more Question,
if we are living together with our family, when she applying for EEA2 it be ok or we must rent a house our name.
Thanx in advanced

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:16 am

All that matters is that (1) you have a real marriage and (2) you will be going together in the UK. It does not matter that you have been living previously or how much money you have in the bank.

If you want to stay more than three months in the UK, you need to be going to work, or to study, or you need to have enough money (and health insurnace to be considered "self-sufficient". Note that you do NOT need to have a job before you move to the UK.

See http://eumovement.wordpress.com/info-united-kingdom/

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:52 am

scimo wrote:Can she become a German citizen?

yes, she can apply for german citizen, but it long period, and we are planing to this year, if she have EEA family permit and we are move to Uk she have 6 months time to apply toEEA2,
Wouldn't it be simpler for her to get her German citizenship first, and then move, even if it means you have to wait some extra time?

What's her nationality?

scimo

Post by scimo » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:01 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:All that matters is that (1) you have a real marriage and (2) you will be going together in the UK. It does not matter that you have been living previously or how much money you have in the bank.

If you want to stay more than three months in the UK, you need to be going to work, or to study, or you need to have enough money (and health insurnace to be considered "self-sufficient". Note that you do NOT need to have a job before you move to the UK.

See http://eumovement.wordpress.com/info-united-kingdom/
thanx for replay,

1: real marriage
2:we are going together and our child (whole family).

scimo

Post by scimo » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:03 pm

JAJ wrote:
scimo wrote:Can she become a German citizen?

Wouldn't it be simpler for her to get her German citizenship first, and then move, even if it means you have to wait some extra time?

What's her nationality?
but it be take long time period. minimum 1 year.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:41 pm

Have fun in the UK!

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:46 pm

scimo wrote:

What's her nationality?

So why not wait the extra time? Is going to England so urgent to make it worth her throwing away her chance of having German citizenship?

Once again - what's her nationality?

scimo

Post by scimo » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:07 am

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:Have fun in the UK!
than alot.........mate

one more question?
what kind of question in interview.........??? we are married. we have child.
she get last year EEA family permit 6 months. without any interview, we sent application with post.
Thanx in advanced.

scimo

Post by scimo » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:23 am

JAJ wrote:
scimo wrote:

What's her nationality?

So why not wait the extra time? Is going to England so urgent to make it worth her throwing away her chance of having German citizenship?

thanx JAJ, reason our child have to begin school.
she came from pk

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:47 am

scimo wrote:thanx JAJ, reason our child have to begin school.
she came from pk
Last time I checked, there are good schools in Germany.

With respect, you should be giving a higher priority to her chances of getting German citizenship.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:33 pm

scimo wrote:
JAJ wrote:
scimo wrote:

What's her nationality?

she came from pk
To be honest you might be making things very difficult for you in the long run. If she stays one more year in Germany and can qualify/apply for German citizienship, she would need no issues with working and travelling anywhere in the EU/EEA and (travelling) almost anywhere in the world. If you move to the UK immediately, she would have to wait 6 years before applying for British citizenship, and - if you read the information all over this board - applying just to go on a short break to France can be a bit of a hassle as an EU/non-EU couple.

There is little to no problem with a child going to school for one extra year in Germany, unless you are thinking of a public school. If the child is very young, (IMHO) this shouldn't even be an issue.

Of course I don't know your personal situation, but if you can manage 12 or so more months, it would work out much better for you in the long run.

Consider, also, for example, if you decided to move to France or Italy after being in the UK? Then you'd have to go through the whole EEA process again. Obtaining citizenship (if that is a goal for her) might thus be even more of a wait.

scimo

Post by scimo » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:20 pm

JAJ wrote:
scimo wrote:thanx JAJ, reason our child have to begin school.
she came from pk
Last time I checked, there are good schools in Germany.

With respect, you should be giving a higher priority to her chances of getting German citizenship.
Thanx a lot,
german school system its not too good,

i think your sugestion is good. we are waitng for her German citizenship.
thank you very much
Take care

scimo

Post by scimo » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:28 pm

sakura wrote:
scimo wrote:
JAJ wrote:
scimo wrote:

What's her nationality?

she came from pk
To be honest you might be making things very difficult for you in the long run. If she stays one more year in Germany and can qualify/apply for German citizienship, she would need no issues with working and travelling anywhere in the EU/EEA and (travelling) almost anywhere in the world. If you move to the UK immediately, she would have to wait 6 years before applying for British citizenship, and - if you read the information all over this board - applying just to go on a short break to France can be a bit of a hassle as an EU/non-EU couple.

There is little to no problem with a child going to school for one extra year in Germany, unless you are thinking of a public school. If the child is very young, (IMHO) this shouldn't even be an issue.

Of course I don't know your personal situation, but if you can manage 12 or so more months, it would work out much better for you in the long run.

Consider, also, for example, if you decided to move to France or Italy after being in the UK? Then you'd have to go through the whole EEA process again. Obtaining citizenship (if that is a goal for her) might thus be even more of a wait.
Thank you very much.
i know that, we are decided so long stay in geramny to have German citizenship.
thank you
Take care

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:39 pm

scimo wrote:Thanx a lot,
german school system its not too good,
You may find that the British school system is worse.