ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizenship for spouse options

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

marsenal

British citizenship for spouse options

Post by marsenal » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:08 pm

Hi all, looking for some help about getting British Citizenship for my French wife. We are currently based abroad but want to look into options available for her to get it. Obviously at the moment there's still no issue for her to come and live in the UK... but who knows what that will look like soon.

We have not lived in the UK for over 2 years, but prior to that she spent a combined three years living there.

Are there any options available for us? All I've seen states you need to first have PR and to get that you need to live in the country for the previous 5 years. Any other paths that we should look into?

Thanks very much!

noajthan

Re: British citizenship for spouse options

Post by noajthan » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:38 pm

marsenal wrote:Hi all, looking for some help about getting British Citizenship for my French wife. We are currently based abroad but want to look into options available for her to get it. Obviously at the moment there's still no issue for her to come and live in the UK... but who knows what that will look like soon.

We have not lived in the UK for over 2 years, but prior to that she spent a combined three years living there.

Are there any options available for us? All I've seen states you need to first have PR and to get that you need to live in the country for the previous 5 years. Any other paths that we should look into?

Thanks very much!
Absence from UK of over 6 months(/1 year in exceptional cases) breaks continuity of residence and resets PR clock to zero.

It takes 5 years to become settled in UK whether on EU route or UK domestic route.
Obviously you don't have 5 years to play with if starting on EU route from zero.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

marsenal

Post by marsenal » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:44 pm

That's what I was afraid of. Was hoping there were some alternatives.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:05 pm

marsenal wrote:That's what I was afraid of. Was hoping there were some alternatives.
UK domestic route will remain. It takes 5 years to become settled.
In some countries it takes longer.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.