ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Jobs in Finance field for freshers..

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dps
Newly Registered

Jobs in Finance field for freshers..

Post by dps » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:28 am

i m going to apply for HSMP soon. I have been working in sales and marketing of pharma products. i can claim the required points.
I have a query... I want to get into finance filed once i land in UK ( if i m getting HSMP). My graduation is in finance management. and i m interested to work in financial firm or bank. What are the chances to get placed in these filed without much of experience in the same?

pleaes guide me..

thanks

OFCHARITY
Member of Standing

Post by OFCHARITY » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:15 pm

It is probably not difficult to get into an entry level job in a bank, provided you have proof address and at least 12 months left on your visa when you apply, the remuneration is likely to be very low though and because they are entry level jobs you may face more competition than you would for highly skilled jobs. The same goes for finance jobs, except they may be more difficult to get into without experience.

One point of caution though, HSMP as the name suggests is aimed at people intending to do highly skilled jobs, not entry level. If you go down this route you may have problems qualifying for extension. When I first came to the UK nearly 4 years ago, I took the silly advice of some friends and started applying for entry level jobs in finance and banking and pretty much any other field I could find, as they convinced me that I would not get a highly skilled job in my field without UK experience. I found myself frustrated at my inability to secure the simplest of jobs, until I started applying for highly skilled jobs in my field of expertise and within weeks I was employed and offered a higher salary than I had even asked for, the employer admonished me for undervaluing my skills.
'In everything give thanks'

deaconblues1
Newly Registered

Post by deaconblues1 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:04 pm

OFCHARITY wrote:It is probably not difficult to get into an entry level job in a bank, provided you have proof address and at least 12 months left on your visa when you apply, the remuneration is likely to be very low though and because they are entry level jobs you may face more competition than you would for highly skilled jobs. The same goes for finance jobs, except they may be more difficult to get into without experience.

One point of caution though, HSMP as the name suggests is aimed at people intending to do highly skilled jobs, not entry level. If you go down this route you may have problems qualifying for extension. When I first came to the UK nearly 4 years ago, I took the silly advice of some friends and started applying for entry level jobs in finance and banking and pretty much any other field I could find, as they convinced me that I would not get a highly skilled job in my field without UK experience. I found myself frustrated at my inability to secure the simplest of jobs, until I started applying for highly skilled jobs in my field of expertise and within weeks I was employed and offered a higher salary than I had even asked for, the employer admonished me for undervaluing my skills.
Hey,

Can you please elaborate on that? What were you doing? where did you search? and how did you manage what you managed? I mean specifically which sectors and cos.?

Thanks in advance.

cheers, dB

OFCHARITY
Member of Standing

Post by OFCHARITY » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:24 am

The moral of the story is that you should try and look for jobs in the area of expertise in which you have proven experience. Based on my observations, UK companies seem to value experience even more than educational qualifications.

Whenever I am looking for jobs I generally do a google search with my desired job title as keywords this allows me to see vacancies from agencies/websites that I otherwise would not have known about. I find that searching for jobs in newspapers, walking into companies to drop off CV's and asking friends about vacancies in their companies are the least effective ways to find a job.
'In everything give thanks'