ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can B2 tourist visa holders ger SSN and driving license?

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

onyeekwo@gmail.com
Newly Registered

Can B2 tourist visa holders ger SSN and driving license?

Post by onyeekwo@gmail.com » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:03 pm

Greetings ... I have a friend who is currently here in the USA on a B2 visiting visa, valid for 2 more months. I want to know ...

- can he get a social security number? he needs it to open a bank account and I heard there is one they issue to visitors that says 'not valid for employment'

- can he get a driver's license? I heard that there are some states that are less strict when it comes to this, even issuing drivers license to illegal immigrants. Will these states issue him one and which ones are they?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:43 am

No.

Visit visas are for visiting and then leaving.

Social Security Numbers are for working .. which require different visas.

S/He can try to get a drivers license, and possibly even succeed. I would not advise it. It may cause serious problems if they attempt to get another visa in the future. It could be considered as an attempt to bypass the intent of the visit visa.

If really interested in the DL, then be very careful to explain this is temporary and only for use for a short term. There may be a special class available for this purpose.

the Admin

JAJ
Australia

Re: Can B2 tourist visa holders ger SSN and driving license?

Post by JAJ » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:52 am

onyeekwo@gmail.com wrote: - can he get a social security number? he needs it to open a bank account
No he doesn't, not legally.
- can he get a driver's license? I heard that there are some states that are less strict when it comes to this, even issuing drivers license to illegal immigrants. Will these states issue him one and which ones are they?
Why on earth would he need one if he is just a tourist?

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:23 pm

onyeekwo@gmail.com wrote:- can he get a social security number? he needs it to open a bank account and I heard there is one they issue to visitors that says 'not valid for employment'
Social Security Numbers For Noncitizens wrote: Lawfully admitted noncitizens can get many benefits and services without having a Social Security number. You do not need a number to purchase savings bonds, conduct business with a bank, register for school or apply for educational tests, obtain private health insurance, apply for school lunch programs or apply for subsidized housing.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

bertram
Newly Registered

Post by bertram » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:37 pm

onyeekwo@gmail.com wrote:Greetings ... I have a friend who is currently here in the USA on a B2 visiting visa, valid for 2 more months. I want to know ...

- can he get a social security number? he needs it to open a bank account and I heard there is one they issue to visitors that says 'not valid for employment'

Hope to hear from you soon.
He does not need a SSN to open a bank account.
Passport will do