ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language Requirement for FLR(M)

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

wxyuanilr

English Language Requirement for FLR(M)

Post by wxyuanilr » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:35 am

My wife passed Cambridge English Preliminary English Test (PET) with Distinction in December 2013 and she used the test result to apply for a spouse visa in February 2014 successfully. Performance at Pass with Distinction demonstrates an ability at the UK National Qualifications Framework Level 1 and Council of Europe Level B2.

Her spouse visa is due for renewal in December this year, and we just noticed that Cambridge PET is no longer an approved test according to https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... entres.pdf . Does that mean she has to take an English language test again in order to extend her spouse visa for another 2.5 years?

menwall

Re: English Language Requirement for FLR(M)

Post by menwall » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:51 pm

Under paragraph 32D of Appendix FM-SE, you can apply using your old certificate test pass. If you look on the FLR(M) form, there is a question which asks 'are you relying on an old test pass' and if yes, you fill in the details of it.

However at the start of 2016 they announced that there would be a change of English requirements in October so anyone applying for FLR(M) at the 2.5 year stage of the 5 year route would need level A2 or above, which you have anyway.

However it is not clear if those changes will also modify they ability to rely on an old test pass. Details are STILL to be announced despite it being October already, which is a joke in itself.

If I were you, I'd check back in early November and see if you can still rely on the old test pass. Keep an eye on UKVI announcements or changes to the FLR(M) form, FM 1.21 or FM-SE. Googling these appendix will give you a link

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:26 pm

The announcement for A2 level English was 'not before October 2016'
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

wxyuanilr

Post by wxyuanilr » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:19 pm

Thanks very much for your replies.

My wife's visa is due for renewal in December, and if they announce in November or December that the old test result can not be used anymore, then it wouldn't give sufficient time for my wife to take another English test and get the result by the planned visa application date.

When a new policy comes in place, shouldn't that become effective from a few months later rather than immediately?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:24 pm

There is generally a transitional period, but this was announced in January 2016 and the statement reads:

The government recognises the need to give those affected sufficient time to prepare for the new test which is why the new requirement will not be implemented before October 2016.

This suggests that at least 10 months notification was given for applicants' preparation.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

wxyuanilr

Post by wxyuanilr » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:33 am

menwall wrote:However it is not clear if those changes will also modify the ability to rely on an old test pass. Details are STILL to be announced
I was worrying about this one. The current policy still allows her to use her Cambridge PET result (Pass with Distinction) in Dec 2013 which she used for her previous successful application for spouse visa. Do you think my wife should take another test now?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:54 am

wxyuanilr wrote:
menwall wrote:However it is not clear if those changes will also modify the ability to rely on an old test pass. Details are STILL to be announced
I was worrying about this one. The current policy still allows her to use her Cambridge PET result (Pass with Distinction) in Dec 2013 which she used for her previous successful application for spouse visa. Do you think my wife should take another test now?

IMHO it would be wise to do so.
(Casa, not CR001)

wxyuanilr

Post by wxyuanilr » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:32 pm

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new- ... mily-route said that "the precise timing and further details will be confirmed by the Home Office in the next few weeks" but it's now 9 months after that announcement, where are the precise timing and further details confirmed?

Also, the announcement in January only talked about the new A2 requirement, without mentioning whether an old test result at B2 level (two levels above A2) which was used for the previous successful application for spouse visa can still be used for the visa extension.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:31 pm

Higher levels will always be accepted as long as they are on the approved list.
(Casa, not CR001)

wxyuanilr

Post by wxyuanilr » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:56 pm

Paragraph 32D indicates it doesn't have to be on the current approved list.

Most of the approved tests 2-3 years ago are no longer approved now. The test my wife took for the previous successful spouse visa application was Cambridge PET.

Is there any document or advance announcement that Paragraph 32D will be revised? The PM's announcement in January was only about the level that must be achieved, not mentioning whether the policy in Paragraph 32D will be changed or not.

If UKVI changes the policy in Paragraph 32D in the next couple of months, shouldn't there be an advance announcement about that?

rudey786

Post by rudey786 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:21 am

Hi all

Can someone advise which English Test needs to be done FLR(M) next year?

Husband did City & Guilds in 2014 which I think is no longer valid.

Thanks.
Online Form: 14 Nov 14
Documents & bio: 21 Nov 14
Requested to send additional docs: 2 Feb 15
Concluded email received: 4 Feb 15
Visa collected: 6 Feb 15 :-D
Cat A - Mirpur

May Allah (swt) grant everyone success with their Visas In Sha Allah.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:41 am

If the HO continue with their published statement, it will be A2 level English.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... entres.pdf
(Casa, not CR001)

wxyuanilr

Post by wxyuanilr » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:10 pm

Is there any document or advance announcement that Paragraph 32D will be revised? The PM's announcement in January was only about the level that must be achieved, not mentioning whether the policy in Paragraph 32D will be changed or not.

arash_uk

Post by arash_uk » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:14 am

Just a quick question, the HO announced in Jan 2016 that they want to increase the English level required however nothing has been officially announced since then and still all guidances, forms and rules need IELTS at A1 level. So, I want to make sure that still the required level is A1? As there are some websites claimed that the level should be A2 but I could not find anything in the HO website.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:59 pm

Statement of Changes to the Immigration Rules published today confirms A2 level English will be required from May 1st 2017

Introduce from 1 May 2017 a new English language requirement at level A2
of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages for
applicants for further leave in the UK as a partner or parent, after completing
30 months here on a 5-year route to settlement under Appendix FM.
(Casa, not CR001)

wxyuanilr

Post by wxyuanilr » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:03 pm

wxyuanilr wrote:My wife passed Cambridge English Preliminary English Test (PET) with Distinction in December 2013 and she used the test result to apply for a spouse visa in February 2014 successfully. Performance at Pass with Distinction demonstrates an ability at the UK National Qualifications Framework Level 1 and Council of Europe Level B2.
So now it'll definitely be okay for my wife to use that old result to apply for the extension of her family visa (5-year route) in December 2016?

The online application form at https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... ily-routes only asks "
Have you passed an approved English language test?" Should my wife say 'Yes' here even if Cambridge English PET is no longer an approved English language test?

Ksene4ka
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by Ksene4ka » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:30 am

wxyuanilr wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:03 pm
wxyuanilr wrote:My wife passed Cambridge English Preliminary English Test (PET) with Distinction in December 2013 and she used the test result to apply for a spouse visa in February 2014 successfully. Performance at Pass with Distinction demonstrates an ability at the UK National Qualifications Framework Level 1 and Council of Europe Level B2.
So now it'll definitely be okay for my wife to use that old result to apply for the extension of her family visa (5-year route) in December 2016?

The online application form at https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... ily-routes only asks "
Have you passed an approved English language test?" Should my wife say 'Yes' here even if Cambridge English PET is no longer an approved English language test?
Hello, may I ask you has you wife applied to extend her existent spouse visa with an old English test? As I’m in the same boat but passed my test in dec’14, applied for first visa successfully in June’15 and now have to extend mine and not sure whether it’s ok to use an old test or not. Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:45 am

Ksene4ka wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:30 am
Hello, may I ask you has you wife applied to extend her existent spouse visa with an old English test? As I’m in the same boat but passed my test in dec’14, applied for first visa successfully in June’15 and now have to extend mine and not sure whether it’s ok to use an old test or not. Thank you
Kindly start your own topic or continue in you own topic if you already have one rather than digging up topics from 2016 and tagging on. The FLR(M) English requirement changed in May 2017 and you now required English A2 on one of the HO approved tests.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.