ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa and visits abroad

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

John Green

Spouse visa and visits abroad

Post by John Green » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:06 am

If a person gets a spouse visa, then wants during the 30 months to FLR to visit outside the UK, how easy is this?

So she has the UK short term settlement information inside her passport. This allows her the SAME rights as a UK citizen to travel abroad, does it? So, for example, she can as easily go to EU member countries without having to get a visa as I can. Conversely, if she needs to travel outside of Europe, she needs to get EXACTLY the same travel documents (like a visa) as her UK sponsor?

In other words, is it the case that once she gets the spouse visa her travel documentation required to go abroad is precisely the same as that of her UK sponsor? Or is it the case that because she is only here on the spouse visa, she would need to supply more in the way of travel documentation?

This query would also apply to the stage after she gets FLR.

Cheers.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Spouse visa and visits abroad

Post by ohara » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:27 am

John Green wrote:So she has the UK short term settlement information inside her passport. This allows her the SAME rights as a UK citizen to travel abroad, does it? So, for example, she can as easily go to EU member countries without having to get a visa as I can.
No, a UK visa won't give your spouse visa-free access to other countries they would normally require a visa for. Even if she had ILR, it wouldn't make a difference. Only by becoming a British citizen would she enjoy the mostly visa-free travel that British passport holders do.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:33 am

Whatever entry visas are required now, will remain a requirement until she is granted British citizenship.

She will be assessed on her current nationality.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

John Green

Post by John Green » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:45 am

Appreciated. As a Moldovan citizen, she is entitled to visa-free travel within the Schengen Zone. However, she cannot visit here, Ireland and a few other countries outside the Zone in Europe without getting a visa. So this limitation will always apply to her, even after she gets ILR? Unless she applies for the UK passport (giving her dual nationality)?

KatieWills
Wales

Post by KatieWills » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:48 pm

She will only have the same travel rights as a UK citizen if and when she becomes one and holds a UK passport.
Be humble for you are made of earth, be noble for you are made of stars.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:52 pm

John Green wrote:Appreciated. As a Moldovan citizen, she is entitled to visa-free travel within the Schengen Zone. However, she cannot visit here, Ireland and a few other countries outside the Zone in Europe without getting a visa. So this limitation will always apply to her, even after she gets ILR? Unless she applies for the UK passport (giving her dual nationality)?
She will need to qualify and be granted British citizenship before she is entitled to apply for a British passport. They are completely different processes.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:04 pm

Casa wrote:
John Green wrote:Appreciated. As a Moldovan citizen, she is entitled to visa-free travel within the Schengen Zone. However, she cannot visit here, Ireland and a few other countries outside the Zone in Europe without getting a visa. So this limitation will always apply to her, even after she gets ILR? Unless she applies for the UK passport (giving her dual nationality)?
She will need to qualify and be granted British citizenship before she is entitled to apply for a British passport. They are completely different processes.
:shock: This is starting to feel like de ja vu!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

John Green

Post by John Green » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:36 am

Sorry, a short time after I posted that message, I tried to delete or edit it. But it would not let me. There seems to be a time limit within which this is possible.