ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Self extension for existing Tier 2

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

newage
Newly Registered

Self extension for existing Tier 2

Post by newage » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:53 pm

Dear all

My tier 2 work visa (employer sponsored) is to expire early December 2016.

My HR has finally decided to extend my visa. But every day I speak with them I have less and less faith as they seem to be very confused. They have also managed to mess up applications in the past. Hence asking for help here.

I have gone through older posts but not much luck. I was told there is a way to extend my existing Tier 2 visa on my own without ever requiring my employer to do so. i.e. I apply directly to the UKBA on my own.

To do that they said I need just a letter from them (current employer) that I've been working with them for almost 3 years. I also need to submit bank statements and salary slips. Considering I am here for over 7 years (4 years at university + 3 years work with current employer) the UKBA should be able to give me extension directly.

The benefit is that I can then switch to a different company to work for, this is something I am keen on doing. But if my employer extends my visa then I will find it much harder to move elsewhere.

My question is, is this even possible to apply for an extension on my own independent of current employer? I have also looked at UKBA but still a bit unsure.

Thanks.

iworker
Diamond Member
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: Self extension for existing Tier 2

Post by iworker » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:06 pm

1 UKBA was disbanded years ago.
2. even after 7 years here, if you dont know how visas works, it should be a rather wake up call for u

3 u need employer to extend the visa, there is no other way.

if you still are confused about same things, start reading the reply again.

newage
Newly Registered

Post by newage » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:25 pm

Thanks for the reply, with all the unnecessary attitude in it.

Luckily never had any issues with visa, until now. Moved here for uni. Got a grad job where employer sponsored visa. It is only now that issue came up, probably because key change in our HR last year - may be they are just not updated.

I am still very well aware how UK visa works.

But if HR itself suggested something on the lines of being able get a visa on my own, I am certain you will you understand anyone to be be a bit surprised? Post Brexit may have changed, something I may have missed - hence this post? I saw one intern from our NY office who was to move to London as a grad, but decided not to because he felt there was too much uncertainty in the UK. So you see why I was a bit worried?

As far as I know only an employer can sponsor my visa but with above points in mind I had no choice but to come here seeking help.

It is my mistake mentioning UKBA in my post but feel free to replace that in your head by whatever the concerned authority is - as mentioned UK visa issue was always handled by HR and some paid consultants they work with. The firm hires some 50 people each year from universities across the world.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:48 pm

Your employer has to issue you with a CoS.

YOU have to apply for the visa, pay the visa fees and the immigration health surcharge. You can only apply once you have a CoS.
It is my mistake mentioning UKBA in my post but feel free to replace that in your head by whatever the concerned authority is
More than 3 years since it became UKVI. Comments like above won't help get you much advice, members and experienced members like iworker, refrain from offering free advice when there are insulting and sarcastic retaliatory posts.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

newage
Newly Registered

Post by newage » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:59 pm

CR001 - thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

I understand this is free advice - just that after facing HR that have completely surprised me with their advice I came here. Just felt the first reply was a bit harsh particularly after explaining why i was confused in the first place and hence the type of reply - my apologies. Been a moderator for a forum myself for years so i understand.

The first time I secured a work visa, employeer did issue me with a CoS but they paid the fees and did the application too. I am pretty sure they will do the same via their usual consultants this time too.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:09 pm

No worries, we just also have families and work etc so when a newly registered member retaliates, we get our backs up. We have all (most of us) been through the immigration route ringer, so do understand, but being polite costs nothing.

If they issue a CoS, you can do the application yourself, it is not difficult and you will get help here.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

newage
Newly Registered

Post by newage » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:16 pm

CR001 - thanks again for the quick response.

Once again, I apologise but you see why I reacted : )

I just had a call with HR to find more on this following response received here. I made it clear that from my knowledge it is not possible for me to apply on my own. This person is still giving me the same reply saying I can do visa on my own, all I need is a letter from them saying I work there and so on....They even went on to quote another person who did the same. I stressed that it must have been a few years ago, pre post study or HSMP and so on. I have booked a meet with them for next week and hopefully they will give help me out.

They're all a nice bunch of people but if what they're saying is true then it is just too good to be true.

eduleal

Post by eduleal » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:18 pm

Hi there,

Most pressing thing is to get your employer to issue an unrestricted CoS to your name - especially because they need to check if they have one unused to allocate. Otherwise, they have to request it asap (and it can take time).

From there it will be the same application process as your previous visa.

Your HR must have mistaken the extension with the ILR application. Basically after 5 years on Tier 2 (i.e. in 2 years time), you can apply for permanent residence yourself - and all the employer will need to provide is a letter and proof that you work there... However, you need to do this extension first, which is basically getting a new visa - and they will need to issue a CoS.

Hope that makes sense.

dragon098
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by dragon098 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:58 pm

Hi,

Why not just print documents from https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/extend-your-visa and then show it to them.

Either your current HR is ignorant about the fact with immigration and visa or else he/she is playing with you.

However, pressing matter is that like eduleal mentioned you need to quickly find out if your company has Unrestricted CoS allocated if not then you better hurry cause it takes time and I am stuck with that myself.

newage
Newly Registered

Post by newage » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:18 pm

Many thanks for the reply eduleal and dragon098!

There is less chance they're playing with me - if they are it is very likely they will get into serious trouble. I think they are just being ignorant or have probably thought I've alreayd completed 5 years post uni - but then I made it clear 2 more years for my ILR.

I'm definitely printing the pages from the link shared by dragon009 for my meeting next week so they can show me where I'm wrong. I've also asked about status of unrestricted CoS last week itself but haven't heard back yet since last week.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:24 pm

It is possible that the person in HR is confusing your immigration route and maybe is thinking of Tier 1 General (far more relaxed visa) where you DID NOT need a sponsor and could extend with only an employer letter.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

newage
Newly Registered

Post by newage » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:46 pm

CR001 wrote:It is possible that the person in HR is confusing your immigration route and maybe is thinking of Tier 1 General where you DID NOT need a sponsor and could extend with only an employer letter.
I really hope that is the case so at least when the confusion will be over they can finally make my application!

eduleal

Post by eduleal » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:28 pm

My guess is that someone else in the company got their ILR and they just assume it will be as simple as that.