ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Life in the UK test website

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

remontado
Newly Registered

Re: Seeking advise!

Post by remontado » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:02 pm

nkoe wrote:Hi! i´m in the same situation most of you are and i would like to know of any particular experiences using the thousands of paid "test packages" that are said to help you for the test. Are they any good? i mean, most of them are advertised to work, though they are priced (this one for instance). I checked out others that are for free, but can anyone give advise or at least assure that they are worth it? do they actually help?
Thanks a lot. :D
Hi nkoe,
I have developed myself something similar to the official test and it is free. I haven't tried the ones you mentioned, but if you like to have a look at this one called life in the UK test, it contains the test similar to the official one and in parallel it gives you the text from the official book.
In the end, it is the user who decides which one is good, otherwise, it will all be just self-advertising.

piglet

Post by piglet » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:36 pm

This is an excellent one, however, I am not sure if it is for the first edition or the second edition book. In any case it helps.

Good luck, test really is very easy and you have plenty of time, all the best.

http://www.hiren.info/life-in-the-uk-test/1

Eugene_UK

Post by Eugene_UK » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:35 pm

Very useful and FREE web-site: www.lifeintheuk.org

Test yourself as many times as you want online for free.

I have passed my test today - it was easy, much easier than I expected but one guy was saying that he managed to fail three times. I think he was just nervous.

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:33 am

I guess the whole test is a joke, it took just 1 minute and 35 seconds to complete the exam successfully. But we have to enter exam centre before 1 hour of test :(

Emma84

Post by Emma84 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:52 am

I've got my test booked for Nov. 9th. Was a pain to even book it, no one would answer their phone! Anyway, how easy is it to do? I've read that I should only read chapters 2, 3, 4 and 5 to pass this test. Should I bother reading 6, 7, 8 and 9?

thamu15
Newly Registered

Post by thamu15 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:20 am

rogerroger wrote:Hi
The "life in the UNited kingdom book" is abotu 137 pages, i ws told by a lady at one of the NCS that i just need to read chapters 1,2 and 3 of it, and some where else i read that i need to read/learn chapter's 2,3 and 4.

can i just read chapters 1,2,3 and 4 and go for the exam.

there are so many names, henry VII, henry VIII(harry), chaucer, arthur and the dates 1066, 1215, and i am still in the first chapter. i am gonna get mixed up by the time i get to the end. (if i do, it is slow going)

Dont worry about those Henries they will not be tested . In the new version of test which is based on

Life in the uk :A journey to citizenship chapters 2,3,4,5 and 6 will be tested only.
There are free websites provides free practice tests such as http://www.testroom.net
and www.life inthe uk.org.
http://www.testroom.net has a learning zone where you have summaried notes of each chapters that covers all the aspects of each topic. I found it is very usefull . Good for lastminute preparation

Emma84

This is frustrating!

Post by Emma84 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:34 pm

I have a question for those of you who have taken the test and come across this question:

Government passed laws restricting immigration in the:
- 1980s
- 1970s
- 1960s
- 1950s

My book says late 1960s, so that's the answer I give. However four seperate test sites say that it was the 1970s! That's very frustrating to me because I don't know if they're wrong or not (I'm a website admin, I know better than to assume the validity of site info). :x

I have my test tomorrow and I'd like to know the right answer, so has anyone run across this question in the actual test, what was your answer and what is the right one?

SYH
BANNED

Re: This is frustrating!

Post by SYH » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:38 pm

Emma84 wrote:I have a question for those of you who have taken the test and come across this question:

Government passed laws restricting immigration in the:
- 1980s
- 1970s
- 1960s
- 1950s

My book says late 1960s, so that's the answer I give. However four seperate test sites say that it was the 1970s! That's very frustrating to me because I don't know if they're wrong or not (I'm a website admin, I know better than to assume the validity of site info). :x

I have my test tomorrow and I'd like to know the right answer, so has anyone run across this question in the actual test, what was your answer and what is the right one?
I dont remember. what i do remember is that each decade had a theme so did you read the question correctly what happens each decade and which decade were laws passed to RESTRICT immigration.
Please use your book=.

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:50 pm

I realize my response is a bit late, but...

UK Citizenship study material states the following:
"...In the 1970s migration from these areas fell after the Government passed new laws restricting immigration to Britain."

So the answer is:
- 1970s
Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans

ajayjain

Life in uk test

Post by ajayjain » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:53 pm

Hi,
I am planning for this test
I got 2nd edition book but it says valid before 30 june 2007
do i need 3rd edition book?
Please guide me and do i need to read only chapter from 2 to 6.
should i read only objective type questions

Thanks

whirly

Post by whirly » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:36 am

ajayjain wrote:

Hi,
I am planning for this test
I got 2nd edition book but it says valid before 30 june 2007
do i need 3rd edition book?
Please guide me and do i need to read only chapter from 2 to 6.
should i read only objective type questions

Thanks

--

Hi ajayjain,

I took the test this morning. All the questions were from chapters 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 of Life in the United Kingdom: A Journey to Citizenship, Second Edition, Fourth Impression 2007 (ordered on amazon.co.uk in November.) The cover of my book says, 'The official publication valid for tests taken from April 2007.' You should make sure your book is the same.

FWIW, all the questions/answers were taken directly from the book, so it was quite easy. I read the relevant chapters several times, made flash cards to quiz myself, and took some free online practice tests. I had no problem passing (the actual test only took me 3 minutes.)

I read the entire book just for good measure; it helped my general understanding, but the test questions only ask about chapters 2-6.* My only caution about the free online practice tests is that they ask a lot of questions from older editions of the book and test. The only questions I missed in the practice tests were the ones that were not in my book. Everything else was easy and straightforward.

Good luck!

* I still don't understand why the test does not include chapter 7: Knowing the Law. Surely this would be the most important section for an immigrant?!

ajayjain

test

Post by ajayjain » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:39 pm

Thanks whirly

I got Second edition , second impression

has anybody got pdf file for the latest ?
Please PM me to email.

Thanks

maibesa
Newly Registered

Post by maibesa » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:22 pm

I'm due to apply for Naturalisation in May 2008.The IND kept my original Life in Uk Pass Certificate. Will I have to re-write the test when I apply in 2008 or what , since they the AN guidance form requests for ' the original evidence of your knowledge of life in the UK '

extrovert

Post by extrovert » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:18 am

Hi All

I passed my Life in the UK in my first attempt. I bought three books including the official guide(read my other posts) but I found the following website very helpfull.

http://www.hiren.info/life-in-the-uk-test/4

There are 55 sample tests on this website which is enough in my opinion to be prepared for the test. I recomend reading the book though and test your knowledge on the above mentioned website.

Just to add this test isn't a big deal if you prepare well and one more important thing please don't forget to ask for an extra one or two copies of the result(if you pass) from the person who will give you the result as if you loose your result copy you have to sit the exam again. So extra copy will help you in case. I have been offered another copy by a very good looking lady. Its just a print out with the test centre stamp and signature on so they wouldn't mind to give you one or two extra.

Plz let me know if my post helped you in anyway as this is my first post for information sharing.

Big hand for the forum moderators and all of you who make this website worth visiting and in some cases "The Last Resort"

Regards

Tam
Newly Registered

Post by Tam » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:14 pm

rogerroger wrote:Hi
The "life in the UNited kingdom book" is abotu 137 pages, i ws told by a lady at one of the NCS that i just need to read chapters 1,2 and 3 of it, and some where else i read that i need to read/learn chapter's 2,3 and 4.

can i just read chapters 1,2,3 and 4 and go for the exam.

there are so many names, henry VII, henry VIII(harry), chaucer, arthur and the dates 1066, 1215, and i am still in the first chapter. i am gonna get mixed up by the time i get to the end. (if i do, it is slow going)
hi,
i am also about to take this exam, as far as i know questions will be from the chapter 2,3,4,5 and 6

Tam
Newly Registered

Post by Tam » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:33 pm

Hi all,
i am about to take a test, any more tips from those who has already passed it ?

Also, has anyone had in the test all those helpline phone numbers?

I am reading this book and seems very easy, but a lot of things to memorise by heart :roll:

thanks

deepakgeorge
Newly Registered

Completely Free Study Material

Post by deepakgeorge » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:55 pm

I have spotted this.

Free Life in the UK Test Material.

www.lifeinuktest.info/sitemap.html

Tam
Newly Registered

Post by Tam » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:29 pm

passed today, very easy

johnboy096

Post by johnboy096 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:54 am

Tam wrote:passed today, very easy
I just took a mock test even though I'm English.

I found it difficult and I've got a BSc - 4 A'levels one in Sociology, English Literature & History.

And wouldn't say I'm isolated from society either, my best friend is English and I'd say we were both had a pretty well rounded education.

I mingle with society I go to the cinema, I go to sports events - one happens to be the big fight at o2 Arena tonight - David Haye KO's Enzo!

But my friend and I were still dumbfounded with some parts of the test.

Here's some of the questions asked...

A) What is the first footing tradition?

the first visitor of the New Year has to step into the house with his (her) right foot

the first visitor of the New Year brings in particular items such as coal, bread and whisky

whoever enters the house during the New Year’s Eve has to take his (or her) shoes off

the person with the largest feet at a given New Year’s party must drink a toast for good luck and prosperity

B) According to some theories, on what folklore is the Father Christmas based?
Dutch, German and Swedish settlers’ folklore
Irish folklore
Welsh folklore
Russian folklore

C) How many countries are members of the Commonwealth?

D) Nowhere in Britain is more than......
75 miles ...from the coast.
125 miles ...from the coast.
25 miles ...from the coast.
150 miles ...from the coast.

E) How many children live with a single parent?
15% of all children
25% of all children
35% of all children
45% of all children

Even I got these wrong?
Maybe I've wasted the last 25 years...lol
Or perhaps the questions are just not relevant.

Peace :)

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:00 am

maibesa wrote:I'm due to apply for Naturalisation in May 2008.The IND kept my original Life in Uk Pass Certificate. Will I have to re-write the test when I apply in 2008 or what , since they the AN guidance form requests for ' the original evidence of your knowledge of life in the UK '
they should have returned it,
ask for it back

Tam
Newly Registered

Post by Tam » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:01 pm

johnboy096 wrote:
I just took a mock test even though I'm English.

I found it difficult and I've got a BSc - 4 A'levels one in Sociology, English Literature & History.

And wouldn't say I'm isolated from society either, my best friend is English and I'd say we were both had a pretty well rounded education.

I mingle with society I go to the cinema, I go to sports events - one happens to be the big fight at o2 Arena tonight - David Haye KO's Enzo!

But my friend and I were still dumbfounded with some parts of the test.

Here's some of the questions asked...

A) What is the first footing tradition?

the first visitor of the New Year has to step into the house with his (her) right foot

the first visitor of the New Year brings in particular items such as coal, bread and whisky-this is and it is in Scotland
whoever enters the house during the New Year’s Eve has to take his (or her) shoes off

the person with the largest feet at a given New Year’s party must drink a toast for good luck and prosperity

B) According to some theories, on what folklore is the Father Christmas based?
Dutch, German and Swedish settlers’ folklore-correct
Irish folklore
Welsh folklore
Russian folklore

C) How many countries are members of the Commonwealth?
54-correct

D) Nowhere in Britain is more than......
75 miles ...from the coast
125 miles ...from the coast.
25 miles ...from the coast.
150 miles ...from the coast

i know 870miles is the longest distance on the mainland
:oops:
E) How many children live with a single parent?
15% of all children
25% of all children-correct
35% of all children
45% of all children

Even I got these wrong?
Maybe I've wasted the last 25 years...lol
Or perhaps the questions are just not relevant.

Peace :)
peace :-D

gainvidya
Member of Standing

Post by gainvidya » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:33 pm

Do I have to buy the book (is there a online version available) or just going through the helpful sites mentioned by people in this thread is enough!

whirly

Post by whirly » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:16 pm

gainvidya said:
Do I have to buy the book (is there a online version available) or just going through the helpful sites mentioned by people in this thread is enough!
I would highly recommend getting the book (buy it, borrow it, maybe it's at the library?) instead of relying on these websites. Most of the ones I have seen have old information that is not necessarily asked on the test. The test is taken almost directly from the book, so I think the best way to prepare for it is by going to the source. Testing myself on websites before the test, I missed all the questions that were not in the book. Using the book, I scored 100% on the test...

cityhunter
Newly Registered

Life in the UK test

Post by cityhunter » Tue May 13, 2008 9:55 pm

I have just passed my test recently. Easier than I have initially thought of. The only book required is the official book endorsed by the Home office which unfortunately you would need to study a few times. It is a very 'dry book', but one of the easiest way to help you remember is to practice by taking practice tests and lots of them.

Try borrow some test practice books with from your local library or try online tests.

The following is one of the best websites, FREE OF CHARGE!

http://www.hiren.info/life-in-the-uk-test/1

The website has got 55 tests of 24 questions in total. By the time you have done 55 tests, you WILL pass the test, assuming that halfway through the 55 tests, your are comfortable with at least above the 75% pass rate. There are lots of repeat questions, which is the whole point of helping you to remember.

Most of the questions are picked from the official book. If you got any question wrong, don't worry, they will appear again in other tests. If the question is not from the official study material, they will unlikely to be asked.

As the only official study material is 'the life in the uk handbook', all materials will come from this book, from chapter 2 to chapter 6. The last thing the home office wants is somebody took the test, failed and try to sue them for asking questions that are not in the official handbook in a test. Even though this is possible, but unlikely as it is not in the spirit of the test. Questions might be re-phrased or being asked indirectly but will arrive at the same answer.

p/s - please be aware that some of the answers in the 55 tests are incorrect. However, these are only a very small percentage. If in doubt, always refer to the handbook.

[b][color=red]
Good luck, please IGNORE anyone in this forum that is trying to recommend you to pay money to buy books (other than the official guide), study guides or taking paid online tests as it is absolutely unnecessary!![/color][/b]

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Sample question NOT UNDERSTANDING but "MEMORISE"

Post by pantaiema » Sat May 31, 2008 12:58 pm

The sort of question you might be asked: (this question appear on online practice test)
In 2001 what was the population of Pakistani descent?
a. 0.7 million
b. 0.6 million
c. 0.5 million
d. 0.4 million

Because the questions are randomly chosen by computer, you will never know what is going to be asked. So to ensure that you will be able to answer this sort of question on the real test correctly, you need to memorise all of figures (population, percentage, etc).

This is what is written in the Official book "life in the UK":

UK Population 2001

Million UK Population %
White 54.2 92
Mixed 0.7 1.2

Indian 1.1 1.8
Pakistani 0.7 1.3
Bangladeshi 0.3 0.5
Other Asian 0.2 0.4

Black Caribbean 0.6 1.0
Black African 0.5 0.8
Black other 0.1 0.2
Chinese 0.2 0.4
Other 0.2 0.4
Source: National Statistics from the 2001census

For 1 question that you anticipate to be asked during the test, you need to memorise 22 figures/number. In my opinion, this is not fun at all.

So, the test is not just about understanding but your memory is also tested . Where is the point to test such things ?. You remember today, you will forget it next week.

It will be different, if the questions is formulated, for instance:

What was the second largest ethnic group in the UK ?.

In my opinion, it is hard to say whether the test is difficult or easy.
It could be easy it could be hard, just depends on your luck.
Pantaiema