ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU Citizen applying for PR - passport original or copy?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

melbel
Newly Registered

EU Citizen applying for PR - passport original or copy?

Post by melbel » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:21 pm

I am a German citizen and after living and working in the UK for over 9 yerars I now want to apply for Permanent Residence with the view to obtain citizenship thereafter.

For the PR application does any know whether it will be acceptable to send a certified of my passport with the application? The current waiting times seem to be incredibly long and I would continue to need my passport for travel. Any thoughts?

LilyLalilu

Re: EU Citizen applying for PR - passport original or copy?

Post by LilyLalilu » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:08 pm

Copies (certified or not) are not usually acceptable - you can request your documents back which usually takes 10-20 working days or else you can apply through the new Passport Return Service where they take certified copies of your passport and you can hold on to the original.
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:06 am

You will need to send your passport unfortunately. Do you have a German ID card you can use to travel while you are without your passport?

You are able to request your documents back from UKVI, which they aim to do within 10 working days. But as of late a lot of people have been waiting a lot longer than that.

fadedGlory
Newly Registered

Post by fadedGlory » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:01 pm

I submitted my application on July 6th and followed on with a request to return my passport on August 10th. After hearing nothing for 2 weeks I filed another request on August 25th. I received my passport on September 1st.

My application is still being processed.

melbel
Newly Registered

Post by melbel » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:53 pm

I don't have a German ID card anymore, as am registered as living abroad. My 80 years old grandfather isn't well, and whilst I want to progress my application for PR I don't want to end up in the situation where I need to travel over and can't! :(

I'll look into the passport return service. Thanks all.