ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling after citizenship application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

hshah123
Newly Registered

Travelling after citizenship application

Post by hshah123 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:32 pm

I am looking for the answer for these specific questions which I cant find in the forum.

I am a doctor and I entered UK on a Tier 2 visa in June 2011. I have been in the UK since and I have been approved for ILR which I received June 2016.

1) Can someone please clarify what happens at the NCS when one goes there to submit a citizenship application. Do they go through your passport? How come you dont have to submit your passport if you apply through NCS? What does one submit then through NCS? Does one apply for the passport then and there? When does one have to submit the ILR card?

2)After application through NCS + after biometrics are taken, can I travel on my ILR and passport?

3) I have worked most of the time I have been in the UK for which I can provide payslips; however, there was two months in the UK (Aug-Sept 2016) when I wasnt working. How do I prove I was in the UK during that time? Would airline inbound and outbound tickets do?

4)If I am abroad when they send the approval letter of Citizenship and invite me to attend a oath ceremony, can I safely enter the country on the ILR? I will have family in the UK who will be checking my mail and can inform me if the approval letter arrives so I can return to the UK immediately.

5) Will my travel abroad make them question my intention to stay in the UK permanently and will they know if I do travel after applying for citizenship?

Many thanks.

haiksuresh
Member of Standing

Re: Travelling after citizenship application

Post by haiksuresh » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:00 am

My answers are inline, But you can wait for replies from gurus.
hshah123 wrote:I am looking for the answer for these specific questions which I cant find in the forum.

I am a doctor and I entered UK on a Tier 2 visa in June 2011. I have been in the UK since and I have been approved for ILR which I received June 2016.

1) Can someone please clarify what happens at the NCS when one goes there to submit a citizenship application. Do they go through your passport? How come you dont have to submit your passport if you apply through NCS? What does one submit then through NCS? Does one apply for the passport then and there? When does one have to submit the ILR card?

NCS will certify your passport & BRP, And send a photocopy to HomeOffice. NCS validate your application and other documents eligibility criteria etc.
Once you attend your ceromony, you need to return BRP with in 5 working days.

2)After application through NCS + after biometrics are taken, can I travel on my ILR and passport?

In general HomeOffice or NCS or Gurus will advice not to travel, But technically you can travel once your submitted your Biometrics, But if HomeOffice had communication for extra evidences or invitation for ceromony booking etc, Some one should monitor your mails and take necessary actions then should be fine.

3) I have worked most of the time I have been in the UK for which I can provide payslips; however, there was two months in the UK (Aug-Sept 2016) when I wasnt working. How do I prove I was in the UK during that time? Would airline inbound and outbound tickets do?

You dont need to submit any extra evidences, You need to fill your application with absences. But you should meet requirements like
1) 5 years back you should be in UK from when you are applying naturalisation
2) You should not away more than 450 days in 5 years Individual applicant or 270 days in last 3 years if you applying as spouse of british citizen
3) You should complete at lease 1 year after getting ILR.
4) you should not away 90day since 1 year just before applying naturalisation.

4)If I am abroad when they send the approval letter of Citizenship and invite me to attend a oath ceremony, can I safely enter the country on the ILR? I will have family in the UK who will be checking my mail and can inform me if the approval letter arrives so I can return to the UK immediately.

Above my answer suffice.

5) Will my travel abroad make them question my intention to stay in the UK permanently and will they know if I do travel after applying for citizenship?

Above my answer suffice.

Many thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:06 am

hshah123 wrote:1) Can someone please clarify what happens at the NCS when one goes there to submit a citizenship application. Do they go through your passport? How come you dont have to submit your passport if you apply through NCS? What does one submit then through NCS? Does one apply for the passport then and there? When does one have to submit the ILR card? NCS is a third part agent acting for HO. They copy all your documents and give originals back to you.

2)After application through NCS + after biometrics are taken, can I travel on my ILR and passport? Yes you can travel. Member haiksuresh has incorrectly stated that HO or Gurus on the forum advise against traveling. You are free to travel but be mindful of how long you travel as there are time limits to book and attend ceremony once you receive approval. Have someone keep an eye on your post in case HO writes to you for anything.

3) I have worked most of the time I have been in the UK for which I can provide payslips; however, there was two months in the UK (Aug-Sept 2016) when I wasnt working. How do I prove I was in the UK during that time? Would airline inbound and outbound tickets do? Stamps in your passport should suffice. List your absences in the space provided in the form.

4)If I am abroad when they send the approval letter of Citizenship and invite me to attend a oath ceremony, can I safely enter the country on the ILR? I will have family in the UK who will be checking my mail and can inform me if the approval letter arrives so I can return to the UK immediately. You are ONLY British once you attend your ceremony. Until that point, you are free to travel on your ILR.

5) Will my travel abroad make them question my intention to stay in the UK permanently and will they know if I do travel after applying for citizenship? Yes it might but it might not.

Many thanks.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

hshah123
Newly Registered

Post by hshah123 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:06 pm

Thankyou very much for your help. Really appreciate it.