ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Refusal To Grant Leave To Remain

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nickg
Newly Registered

Refusal To Grant Leave To Remain

Post by nickg » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:38 pm

Please help !

I married my Bulgarian wife in Sofia in May 2007, when we got married we had known each other about 30 months, Irina, my wife, had visited the UK on three occasions, with me being the sponsor, I had visited Bulgaria six times.

Prior to getting married I had to obtain a Certificate of no legal impediment from the UK, then I had to travel to Sofia to go through the legal side of the wedding at the British Embassy, prior to my visit, Irina had visited the Embassy and had enquired as to how she should obtain a visa once married, she was advised that she should wait until she was resident in the UK and apply from here, when we visited the Embassy to go through the wedding arrangements I asked the same question and was given the same answer,

Irina relocated to the UK the first week of September 2007 (Irina is a GP & had a contract until August 31st) we didn’t apply for leave to remain immediately, Irina registered with the General Medical Council, once that was sorted we applied for leave to remain (November 12th) the application was accompanied with all the relevant documentation, both our passports, marriage certificate, original & legalised translation, bank statements, payslips etc, etc.

We have just been advised that Irina has been refused leave to remain referring to Paragraph 286 with reference to 284 (i) and there is no right of appeal.

We’re confused, should she have got the leave to remain in Sofia, prior to coming to the UK ? no right of appeal, is that it ?

Help

Many Thanks

NickG

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:49 pm

Under European Law, as a Bulgarian national, your wife did not need permission to enter or remain to live in the United Kingdom. She may apply to work in the UK.

Alternatively, if you are settled or British, then your wife has a choice (21.4.7) of applying under the UK Immigration Rules instead. However, then she would need to qualify as a spouse (13.5) and apply for prior entry clearance before entering the UK. But as she did not have leave to enter or remain, she did not satisfy 284(i), and has no right of appeal.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

petkanov

No worries

Post by petkanov » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:22 am

She needs to apply on form BR1 and will recieve registration certificate with unrestricted right to work. there is no charge for this application

JAJ
Australia

Re: Refusal To Grant Leave To Remain

Post by JAJ » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:59 am

nickg wrote:Please help !

I married my Bulgarian wife in Sofia in May 2007, when we got married we had known each other about 30 months, Irina, my wife, had visited the UK on three occasions, with me being the sponsor, I had visited Bulgaria six times.

Prior to getting married I had to obtain a Certificate of no legal impediment from the UK, then I had to travel to Sofia to go through the legal side of the wedding at the British Embassy, prior to my visit, Irina had visited the Embassy and had enquired as to how she should obtain a visa once married, she was advised that she should wait until she was resident in the UK and apply from here, when we visited the Embassy to go through the wedding arrangements I asked the same question and was given the same answer,

Irina relocated to the UK the first week of September 2007 (Irina is a GP & had a contract until August 31st) we didn’t apply for leave to remain immediately, Irina registered with the General Medical Council, once that was sorted we applied for leave to remain (November 12th) the application was accompanied with all the relevant documentation, both our passports, marriage certificate, original & legalised translation, bank statements, payslips etc, etc.

We have just been advised that Irina has been refused leave to remain referring to Paragraph 286 with reference to 284 (i) and there is no right of appeal.

We’re confused, should she have got the leave to remain in Sofia, prior to coming to the UK ? no right of appeal, is that it ?

As far as I know she cannot obtain leave to remain because she has been admitted under the EEA rules.

In that case her choices are:

1. Go back to Sofia and apply for entry clearance as a spouse; or

2. As someone else has noted, apply for work rights on form BR1

The disadvantage of option 2 is that she will only get Permanent Residence in September 2012, so she can't think about naturalisation as a British citizen until then.

Under Option 1 she can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain after 2 years on a spouse visa, ie around February 2010 (if she switched now) and could go for naturalisation (if you're a British citizen) in September 2010.

petkanov

here is hope for you

Post by petkanov » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:16 pm

Read point 16 in chapter 4 of the instructions of the European directorate within the homeoffice:

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... dlaw/ecis/

Basically, she could go either route, the br1 or the immigration rules route, and she doesn't need entry clearance for that. But may I ask you, why doesn't she go the BR1 route, whats the hurry, she will automatically become permanent resident in 5 years, and can get british citizenship in 6 years. THe bulgarian passport is very good travel documents these days, as far as visa free access, so there shouldn't be hurry.

nickg
Newly Registered

Post by nickg » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:59 pm

Thanks for your help, very much appreciated, we're leaning towards the BR1 route at the moment, we've got an appointment with an IAS adviser on Friday and we'll make the decision then.

vinny

Re: here is hope for you

Post by vinny » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:39 am

petkanov wrote:Read point 16 in chapter 4 of the instructions of the European directorate within the homeoffice:

Interesting. The above does suggest that she didn't need to have prior entry clearance. If she didn't need prior entry clearance, then refusal, with reference to 284(i), would not have been applicable!
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

nickg
Newly Registered

Post by nickg » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:01 am

nickg wrote:Thanks for your help, very much appreciated, we're leaning towards the BR1 route at the moment, we've got an appointment with an IAS adviser on Friday and we'll make the decision then.
I'm even more confused, after spending the best part of 2 hours with an IAS adviser yesterday she advised us that my wife should apply via the EEA1 route !

Opinions ?

Thanks

Nick

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:28 am

Why did IAS advise to apply EEA1?

nickg
Newly Registered

Post by nickg » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:41 am

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:Why did IAS advise to apply EEA1?
She insisted that was the way to go for a residence permit.

JAJ
Australia

Re: here is hope for you

Post by JAJ » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:25 pm

petkanov wrote:Read point 16 in chapter 4 of the instructions of the European directorate within the homeoffice:

Basically, she could go either route, the br1 or the immigration rules route, and she doesn't need entry clearance for that. But may I ask you, why doesn't she go the BR1 route, whats the hurry, she will automatically become permanent resident in 5 years, and can get british citizenship in 6 years. THe bulgarian passport is very good travel documents these days, as far as visa free access, so there shouldn't be hurry.
As spouse is a British citizen she can go for naturalisation immediately after she has permanent residence, so it's 3 years vs 5 years (not 6).

But I would still point out that the extra 2 years might be an issue - what if they want to emigrate somewhere in that time? The opportunity to get British citizenship would be lost.

The Bulgarian passport is ok for travel around Europe but for travel to the United States, Canada and Australia (as examples) a tourist visa will be needed.

nickg
Newly Registered

Post by nickg » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:56 pm

nickg wrote:
nickg wrote:Thanks for your help, very much appreciated, we're leaning towards the BR1 route at the moment, we've got an appointment with an IAS adviser on Friday and we'll make the decision then.
I'm even more confused, after spending the best part of 2 hours with an IAS adviser yesterday she advised us that my wife should apply via the EEA1 route !

Opinions ?

Thanks

Nick
The IAS adviser rang my wife this morning to say she'd researched it more over the weekend and she needs to apply on BR1 !

Glad we hadn't posted it !