ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Urgent I need to travel to India

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Namita Shah
Newly Registered

Urgent I need to travel to India

Post by Namita Shah » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:08 am

Hello Can someone please let me know whether I can travel on Indian Passport or not. I went through the oath ceremony on 24th October 2016 and I am expecting my passport by end of november 2016. I dont have time to apply for the OCI because i have my booked tickets to India on 1st December 2016. So is it possible to travel on Indian Passport and while coming back I can show the British Passport.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Urgent I need to travel to India

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:46 am

Yes, you can travel. You have a 90 day grace period to use your Indian passport, this is counted from the date of your ceremony. Passports are currently taking about 2 weeks.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Namita Shah
Newly Registered

Post by Namita Shah » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:59 am

But when I dropped in the mail to Indian embassy and VFS they told me I cant travel and there will be fine imposed and i need to go through the Surrender Passport formality immediately after i receive my British passport.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:00 am

Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

haiksuresh
Member of Standing

Post by haiksuresh » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:03 am

Namita Shah wrote:Hello Can someone please let me know whether I can travel on Indian Passport or not. I went through the oath ceremony on 24th October 2016 and I am expecting my passport by end of november 2016. I dont have time to apply for the OCI because i have my booked tickets to India on 1st December 2016. So is it possible to travel on Indian Passport and while coming back I can show the British Passport.
Once you attend ceremony, you have to return your BRP in 5 working days otherwise you will get fined 1000£. In my opinion you can't travel on indian passport. If you get any news or update, Please share with us.

Regards,
Suresh

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:12 am

haiksuresh wrote:Once you attend ceremony, you have to return your BRP in 5 working days otherwise you will get fined 1000£. In my opinion you can't travel on indian passport. If you get any news or update, Please share with us.
Regards,
Suresh
I have shared a useful link!! :shock:
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Namita Shah
Newly Registered

Post by Namita Shah » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:36 am

Sorry I went throught the links can you please tell me which section i need to refer as I am unable to find the information

Namita Shah
Newly Registered

Post by Namita Shah » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:46 am

haiksuresh wrote:
Namita Shah wrote:Hello Can someone please let me know whether I can travel on Indian Passport or not. I went through the oath ceremony on 24th October 2016 and I am expecting my passport by end of november 2016. I dont have time to apply for the OCI because i have my booked tickets to India on 1st December 2016. So is it possible to travel on Indian Passport and while coming back I can show the British Passport.
Once you attend ceremony, you have to return your BRP in 5 working days otherwise you will get fined 1000£. In my opinion you can't travel on indian passport. If you get any news or update, Please share with us.

Regards,
Suresh

I ahve already returned my BRP but i will be having british passport in 4 weeks time and after that i need to travel.

rmukherjee
United Kingdom

Post by rmukherjee » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:52 pm

If you are returning your BRP in time, as requested by the Home Office, then it is advisable not to travel on your Indian passport. This thread explains why.

rmukherjee
United Kingdom

Post by rmukherjee » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:19 pm

Namita Shah wrote:Sorry I went throught the links can you please tell me which section i need to refer as I am unable to find the information
I think it was intended to refer to the fact about the "grace period". The grace period is a period of 3 months where you will not be fined (upon being found out -- usually during passport surrender) for use of the Indian passport after obtaining citizenship of another country (as defined by obtaining a naturalisation certificate).

Immigration officers in India have no duty to abide by this rule and can quite easily block you from travelling if they find anything untoward in your passport situation. If you enter India using an Indian passport and try to leave using a British passport, you are just opening yourself to trouble from Indian immigration authorities (note that they can find out after the fact as well, thanks to information they receive from the airlines). And if you plan to show an Indian passport while heading for the UK but cannot show your visa, you're done.

There is a thread on this forum (scroll up) by a person who said he managed it after "convincing" an Indian immigration officer. All I'll say is -- if your strategy to leave India involves arguing with an Indian immigration officer, you're taking a huge chance and it's something I do not recommend to anyone. Anyway, in that same thread I and another user have given reasons NOT to go down this road.

What you do after that is up to you :) but you cannot say you were not warned.