ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

American fulfilling the English Language Requirement

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

claytoncrabtree
Newly Registered

American fulfilling the English Language Requirement

Post by claytoncrabtree » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:29 pm

I am an American applying for the HSMP the website states:

According to the HSMP website, you need to meet one of the following two criteria:
- - You need to have a bachelors degree that was taught in English (not a Masters degree or PhD).
- - You need to possess an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) qualification at least at Band 6 less than two years old.

I did a Masters degree here in England so technically I don't meet the requirements. I do not currently have a bachelors degree. Obviously I am a native speaking English American and know no other language. Is there anyway around having to pay a hundred quid to take a IELTS test?

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Re: American fulfilling the English Language Requirement

Post by pantaiema » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:37 pm

claytoncrabtree

You need to sit for IELTS, I am afraid (as you do not have Bachelor degree taught in English). There are already a few cases of rejection based on this so just be cautious.

This is irrational, I fully agree. If The person like you could not speak English, whoelse could speak English ??

But the HSMP CW only follows what is written on the guidance, so it is not their fault. Hope they will correct this blunder when the new guideline is published

Keep in mind, officially you are not allowed to sit for IELTS test, because your native language is English. (This rule is from IELTS administrator not from HSMP). So make sure you do not tell the IELTS administrator that your native Language is English. If you get caught by the IELTS administartor/examiner you might argue my native language is American not English :lol: :lol:

Good Luck with your application
Pantaiema

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:49 pm

pantaiema wrote:If The person like you could not speak English, whoelse could speak English ??
I know British people who cannot speak English. Why is it different in USA?

hari15
Member of Standing

Re: American fulfilling the English Language Requirement

Post by hari15 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:08 pm

claytoncrabtree wrote:I am an American applying for the HSMP the website states:

According to the HSMP website, you need to meet one of the following two criteria:
- - You need to have a bachelors degree that was taught in English (not a Masters degree or PhD).
- - You need to possess an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) qualification at least at Band 6 less than two years old.

I did a Masters degree here in England so technically I don't meet the requirements. I do not currently have a bachelors degree. Obviously I am a native speaking English American and know no other language. Is there anyway around having to pay a hundred quid to take a IELTS test?
In the New rules which is coming on the month of March, Citizens of Native english speaking country like USA no need attend IELTS test or proove any other qualification just passport is enough.But for that you need to wait until the new rules comes into place (probably by march)

If you want to apply now, you must satisfy IELTS or Bachelor degree rule
Last edited by hari15 on Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:08 pm

PaperPusher

I see your point. I am aware that In the US, especially in the border with South America, there are american people (mainly hispanic) who cannot speak English. Especially those who do not have university degree.

Hovever, if you notice, claytoncrabtree did a Masters degree in England, He does not have Bachelors degree. Therefore, it can be concluded that he did 4 years degree course leading to master's degree in England. This is typical if you take degree such as MEng. It is 4 years master's courses, without BSc degree earned e.g direct MEng.degree,

So it is not comparable with the case that you are refering to.
PaperPusher wrote:
pantaiema wrote:If The person like you could not speak English, whoelse could speak English ??
I know British people who cannot speak English. Why is it different in USA?
Last edited by pantaiema on Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Pantaiema

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:08 am

I would think you could take the Life in the UK test to override all this crap

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:10 am

Thanks

He hasn't got a degree.
claytoncrabtree wrote:I do not currently have a bachelors degree
pantaiema wrote:Therefore, it can be concluded that s/he did 4 years courses degree leading to master's
I do not think this is the only conclusion that can be drawn based on "masters from England without a bachelors". Some people do join masters courses because of their relevant work experience. A good example would be an MBA.

claytoncrabtree, if it is a four year course then all there is to it is to find out if the BIA accept 4 year courses leading to a masters from the UK. If you do a search there will have been other people in your situation. I know I have read about similar situations with 4 year courses from the UK.

Regards

gordon

Post by gordon » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:36 am

On the more likely assumption that claytoncrabtree has not done a four-year master's degree, he has two options:
1) take the IELTS
2) wait until Tier 1 is rolled out and apply if/when they've implemented the language-exemption for selected country nationals.

By the time he's taken the IELTS and gotten the results, Tier 1 seems likely to be in place, or very nearly so. And while the IELTS was clearly designed to compare non-native speakers to native speakers, the reality is that the IELTS examiners are far from prohibiting native speakers to sit the examination. After all, it seems quite a number of British would-be migrants to Australia are sitting the IELTS examination in order to get additional points to qualify for the Australian PBS.

tomkin

Post by tomkin » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:52 am

When I was preparing for IELTS, I remember reading somewhere that

"Candidates with english as their mother tongue cannot take IELTS"

I cannot find it anywhere on net now. May be the rules have changed.

If this is still the case then I think it is better to wait till March when english speaking countries' citizens dont have to prove their english requirement for HSMP.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:31 pm

I have mentioned before in my previous postings, I mentioned that IELTS is required. They will not except 4 years courses Master's degree to meet the english language requirement. They only except bachelor's degree.

PaperPusher wrote:Thanks

claytoncrabtree, if it is a four year course then all there is to it is to find out if the BIA accept 4 year courses leading to a masters from the UK. If you do a search there will have been other people in your situation. I know I have read about similar situations with 4 year courses from the UK.

Regards
Pantaiema

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:34 pm

This is true I mentioned it in my previous posting:

Code: Select all

Keep in mind, officially you are not allowed to sit for IELTS test, because your native language is English. (This rule is from IELTS administrator not from HSMP).  

I think the best think to argue if you get caught is that native language is American, etc not English. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Are they going to accept that, I do not know .....
nileshratan wrote:When I was preparing for IELTS, I remember reading somewhere that

"Candidates with english as their mother tongue cannot take IELTS"

I cannot find it anywhere on net now. May be the rules have changed.

If this is still the case then I think it is better to wait till March when english speaking countries' citizens dont have to prove their english requirement for HSMP.
Pantaiema

boonworkpermit
Newly Registered

Post by boonworkpermit » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:54 pm

I remember that when I took the IELTS test two months ago,
there was an Australian guy sitting in the same room.

So, they may not strictly enforce this rule about mother tongue.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:03 pm

This is probably becuase he did not tell the IELTS adminsitrator that his mother tongue is english.

ALso, Just to remind you might be australian but english is not necessarily your mother tongue. Example, naturalisation case.

But I agree with you they are not strict about this. They need your money to run their test centre, are not they ?.
boonworkpermit wrote:I remember that when I took the IELTS test two months ago,
there was an Australian guy sitting in the same room.

So, they may not strictly enforce this rule about mother tongue.
Pantaiema

claytoncrabtree
Newly Registered

Post by claytoncrabtree » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:37 pm

gordon wrote:On the more likely assumption that claytoncrabtree has not done a four-year master's degree, he has two options:
1) take the IELTS
2) wait until Tier 1 is rolled out and apply if/when they've implemented the language-exemption for selected country nationals.

By the time he's taken the IELTS and gotten the results, Tier 1 seems likely to be in place, or very nearly so.
So on average how long does it take to get the results back. I know there is a lot of speculation but is there much chance of the requirements/fees drastically changing when this new Tier 1 comes into picture? I easily score a 90 on my points at the moment... I won't loose out on the ability to apply will I? Thanks for all your help on this; very good discussion!