ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Photo for NTL/BRP application, can someone double check?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jamEnergy
Newly Registered

Photo for NTL/BRP application, can someone double check?

Post by jamEnergy » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:57 pm

I just used one of those booths, but I'm not 100% sure if I've done it right.
Also the machine recommended that I take off my glasses, which meant I couldn't really see the markers for positioning 100% well (but it's not like I couldn't see them at all).

Image is here for reference... is it ok?

[edit: I think the image is 1mm off, so I'll go retake it... I'll get a company to do it for me because I don't trust the booth at my local Tesco]

1)
The NTL guidance here [1] says "Please read these guidance notes and the separate UK Visas and Immigration photography guidance", but I cannot find such a document. Does anyone know where that is?

2)
I read the passport photo guidance, and it contradicts the advice on the booth.
Is there any restriction on ears being visible? Mine are somewhat hidden in the photo I accepted (did not realize until after) and my hair is at the length where it is too short to tie up and too long to leave everything uncovered.

3)
I think the size is slightly wrong (by 1mm). But it is not obvious, because as I am not bald, the crown of my head is not visible.
The user-interface on the booth was not very good, as it did not have a ruler on the photo screen.
It had one oval, but it wasn't obvious if the oval demonstrated the upper or lower bounds of the height of the face, as it did not say if the oval was 34mm in height or 29mm in height...
The passport photo guidance says the chin-crown length must be >29mm.
As someone who did a maths degree at Cambridge and works as a software developer, this whole experience has been very frustrating for me. Everything seems to be ill-defined and lacking precision... but anyway, what can you do.

4)

My shoulders are uneven, because I had to press the button with one hand. I don't think this matters, but if it does, someone do tell me.

My hunch is that I should get some contact lenses and give the photo another go and also mark a ruler on the screen for the benefit of future users.

Apparently Timpson do it, so I'll just go to them.

Stupid £5 con machine. It's like a microcosm of the rest of the immigration process.

thanks

[1] https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _11-16.pdf

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Photo for NTL/BRP application, can someone double check?

Post by CR001 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:21 pm

Are you kidding us???

You are over thinking this on a nuclear scale!! If that is a genuine photo of you, it is fine. Good grief!! :shock:
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jamEnergy
Newly Registered

How strict is the "no absence of 2 years" for NTL ILR "renew

Post by jamEnergy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:06 pm

Continuing here as advised, delete the other thread if you can.

I can't seem to edit the topic of this thread, and I didn't want to post something that might be considered off-topic, but all right.

I've had ILR for a very long time, and while I can prove continuous residence for the most part (about 18 years going back) I do not have any evidence from when I was under 10 years old or so... not like I would have P60s from that kind of time in my life.

Is this going to matter?

jamEnergy
Newly Registered

Post by jamEnergy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:07 pm

CR001 wrote:Are you kidding us???

You are over thinking this on a nuclear scale!! If that is a genuine photo of you, it is fine. Good grief!! :shock:
I am working under the assumption that they will do everything they can to make my life a nightmare.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:08 pm

Were there any black helicopters in the vicinity when photo was taken?
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:12 pm

jamEnergy wrote:
CR001 wrote:Are you kidding us???

I am working under the assumption that they will do everything they can to make my life a nightmare.
HO is not intent on making your life a nightmare. You are making a simple application, follow the guidelines and submit was is asked for.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:15 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.