ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Stamping a UK/EU Passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Stamping a UK/EU Passport

Post by Marco 72 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:53 pm

Does anyone know if UK immigration can put a stamp on an EU passport (or even a British passport) upon request?

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:03 pm

They were certainly willing do this a few years ago, with British passports at least; they would stamp the passport with the date of entry and make a hand-written annotation "by request" or "stamped by request". Whether they will still do it if asked I don't know for certain, but I think that they would. (A common reason for people asking for it to be done is because they discover on arrival at their UK airport that they didn't surrender their US immigration card on leaving the US.) Having the passport stamped on departure from the UK would be more problematic in that exit passport controls are still rather erratic, although becoming more frequent.

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:54 am

The answer is; IOs do have the power to do this but whether they are willing depends entirely on which IO you get and to be honest what kind of mood he /her is in.

@Christophe

Embarkation controls only consist, at the moment, of checks. There are no exit stamps.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:16 pm

I have been told by an IO that it is "illegal" for them to stamp a UK passport.

It is certainly illegal for them to stamp a passport from another EU state (Directive 2004/38/EC) but that does not apply to UK passports.

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:55 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:I have been told by an IO that it is "illegal" for them to stamp a UK passport.

It is certainly illegal for them to stamp a passport from another EU state (Directive 2004/38/EC) but that does not apply to UK passports.
I beg to disagree, it is procedurally incorrect for an IO to endorse an EU passport with a refusal stamp. But nothing in law prevents an IO placing an entry stamp in an EU passport if it is requested by the holder. It often happens with kids who want a stamp.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:48 am

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:I have been told by an IO that it is "illegal" for them to stamp a UK passport.

The stamp may have no legal effect but I very much doubt that the term "illegal" is appropriate.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:31 am

JAJ wrote:

The stamp may have no legal effect but I very much doubt that the term "illegal" is appropriate.
I would have expected exactly the same thing. But the IO very politely refused to do it for the person who was asking, even though the IO had the stamp right there.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:06 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:

I would have expected exactly the same thing. But the IO very politely refused to do it for the person who was asking, even though the IO had the stamp right there.

Perhaps a polite request should have been made to see his supervisor.

Decus et Tutamen

Post by Decus et Tutamen » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:44 pm

I was given to believe that for an IO to endorse either a British or EEA passport could be construed as having treated the holder as subject to immigration control which, of course, they are not, and would be illegal.

There is a myriad of reasons why someone not subject to immigration control may ask for a stamp in their passport, the principal ones being kids who just want a stamp, and others for tax reasons (demonstrating to HMRC the number of days absent). As a consequence, the IO annotates the stamp "on request" in order to indicate it was given at the passport holder's instigation.

Indeed, there are other passports which an IO should not endorse, for example a Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC) passport, as to do so would tacitly acknowledge a government which the UK does not recognise.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:54 am

I will ask for a stamp next time as my british passport will remain empty if I keep travelling around europe and use my other passport when I go back home.

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:49 am

paulp wrote:I will ask for a stamp next time as my british passport will remain empty if I keep travelling around europe and use my other passport when I go back home.
As I said whether it is given to you willingly all depends on the IO on the day, how you ask and the circumstances. So for example if there is a long queue you are likely to be told no. Also if the IO considers that by giving you a stamp then every other person in the queue will request one he/she might say no.

Good luck

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:36 am

INSIDER wrote:As I said whether it is given to you willingly all depends on the IO on the day, how you ask and the circumstances. So for example if there is a long queue you are likely to be told no. Also if the IO considers that by giving you a stamp then every other person in the queue will request one he/she might say no.

Good luck
Thanks. I'll try the IO at the non-EU queue, as my wife definitely wants a stamp. She's applying for ILR+nat soon and wants her travels recorded.