ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

recent EU1 decisions (no priorior EU residency)

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rainbow2007
Newly Registered

Post by rainbow2007 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:49 am

Hi there!
Have anybody got a EU1 decison recently?
What are those?
Any hope for positive answers?

My husband does not have priorior evidence of legal residence in another EU country. He is here since 2004.

And we are still wondering about possible outcome.
He is sure that he will need to go back to his home country as his student visa had expired.
Any ideas?
Best regards & best luck to everybody struggling like us!

Hell on the earth!

Rainbow

runie80
Member of Standing

Post by runie80 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:11 pm

Did his student visa expired after applying EU-1 or before applying EU-1 ?

If its after the EU-1 then he has some possibility of extension.

If his student visa was expired when you applied EU-1
than its an uphill struggle.

Thats according to my information.

In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

rainbow2007
Newly Registered

Post by rainbow2007 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:32 pm

His visa expired in june.
We got married in august.
In between he got stamp 3 and as advised by Gardai Officer, we didnt extend his student visa, because that EU1 application would be enough.
On the day when we send the papers (we were waiting for marriage licence) even his stamp 3 was expired.
If we would not be misadvised, we would definiteely taken that student visa...

Any hope for us?

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:02 pm

Not much Im afraid, unless you are willing to wait and see what happens to the Kumar Case in the supreme court...which is not expected to be positive anyway.Best option would be your husband to go back home and apply. If he still has stamp3 try moving to the U.K on EEA family permit.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Re: recent EU1 decisions (no priorior EU residency)

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:33 am

rainbow2007 wrote:My husband does not have priorior evidence of legal residence in another EU country. He is here since 2004.
Have you travelling together to another EU country since you got married? If so he had residency in that country for the period of your visit. See http://eumovement.wordpress.com/2007/06 ... -question/

microlab

Post by microlab » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:52 pm

If so he had residency in that country for the period of your visit.
Directive,is it you that wrote this?:

Code: Select all

I have resided in three member states since April 2006: Germany, Italy, France. In each case, I was there for a few days.
I cant see how few days stay in Paris hotel can be called residence.
Did anyone actually apply on these basis?

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:07 pm

I did write that.

The only place that lays out the requirements for "residence" (for EU citizens and their families) is in Directive 2004/38/EC. Take a look at http://eumovement.wordpress.com/2007/06 ... -question/ for the actual extracts from the Directive and from Irish and UK transposition of this into their national law. There are no preconditions that must be satisfied for residence of under 90 days (except for maybe a visa for people with certain passports). You just go. Don't need to work. Don't need to own propety. Can stay at a camp ground if you like camping.

Ireland does not say in its transposition of the Directive that the non EU family member must have been resident in another EU member state for a specific period of time (like for example a year). They simply that you must have been resident. (I suspect the Irish government know they are on thin ice already and intentionally tried to be vague).

An example of this in action is the wife of Erik84. After she came to Ireland, his wife was granted a residence permit to Sweden. They never actually went to Sweden to use it. Instead they referred to it as part of their carefully worded appeal, and were granted their requested EU1.

This is clearly not an automatic thing. They will likely say no and you will have to push. But it seems pretty clear cut, and worth using as one part of any application or any appeal.

Remember that they know they have a very hard legal position to defend. They have settled some cases and had to pay a lot of lawyers fees in the process. They are not going to want to get into more fights they will loose. Imagine them saying in court: "Your honor, even though the EU law and our own law refers to residence for a period of under 90 days, we do not think that counts as residence..."

microlab

Post by microlab » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:12 am

This is clearly not an automatic thing. They will likely say no and you will have to push. But it seems pretty clear cut, and worth using as one part of any application or any appeal.
Totally agree.
:wink:

rainbow2007
Newly Registered

recent EU1 decision (no priorior residency)

Post by rainbow2007 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:25 pm

Thank you for all your answers.
We have only been in Poland for few days before getting married.
Since we got married we stuck here both in that limbo status.
I really dont know what to think.
Hopefully I wont loose my mind!
With what Brian Lenihan published recently (Bill2008)
it might be more complicated then it is.
I am only gratefull that time is running fast,
and nearly 6 months of waiting is gone.
We are awaiting our decision early February.
Any advises, if negative??

Rainbow2007

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:44 pm

You could try applying some pressure using your local T.D....some people report that they received a 1 year stamp4 even though they didn't have prior E.U residency.

rainbow2007
Newly Registered

Post by rainbow2007 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:47 pm

Sorry for my negligance, but what is TD?
Definitelly a political party.
Really sorry.
You think they might be interested to help us,
even if they dont know us?
How is possible?
What about taking a case to the court?
Will that take long?

You archigabe had been offered a settlement, isnt it?
but how long did you need to wait for that?

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:57 pm

archigabe wrote:...some people report that they received a 1 year stamp4 even though they didn't have prior E.U residency.
What happens after their 1 year Stamp 4 is up?

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:11 pm

rainbow2007 wrote:Sorry for my negligance, but what is TD?
Definitelly a political party.
Really sorry.
You think they might be interested to help us,
even if they dont know us?
How is possible?
What about taking a case to the court?
Will that take long?

You archigabe had been offered a settlement, isnt it?
but how long did you need to wait for that?
T.D is the Irish Member of Parliament. Every district has a T.D responsible for that area. You can find out the name of your T.D and try and meet them when they have a public clinic or meet with their district constituents.Maybe an Irish member of this board will be able to help better on this.
It took around 4 months before the government settled with us.
The government might not settle unless you have rock solid paperwork and they know they will lose the case if it goes to court.
Last edited by archigabe on Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:12 pm

benifa wrote:
archigabe wrote:...some people report that they received a 1 year stamp4 even though they didn't have prior E.U residency.
You have to ask the DOJ to send another renewal letter and use the letter to go to GNIB to apply for renewal of stamp4.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:31 pm

archigabe wrote:
benifa wrote:
You have to ask the DOJ to send another renewal letter and use the letter to go to GNIB to apply for renewal of stamp4.
Thanks for your reply, archigabe.

Ok, let's say I'm a non-EU (but not visa required) family member (brother-in-law, to be precise) of an EU citizen living in Wexford. I came here to live with my EU family member, applied on EU1 and had it rejected due to clause 3(2) (no previous residence in another Member State).

My EU family member appealed the decision on my behalf and so the DoJ gave me Stamp 4 but only for a year (seemingly as "good will" - they're not recognising my entitlement to be here and state this in their letter to me - "compassionate grounds" is what I think they said).

Are you saying that after the 1 year Stamp 4 is up, I'm to write back to the DoJ and request a renewal letter? Is that what it's called? Then after I receive this I go back to Wexford Garda Station (GNIB section) and renew my Stamp 4 card for another year? Have I got that right? Will they definitely renew my Stamp 4 after a year, or might they not?

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:42 pm

Yes, you are right. Though they seem to send a renewal letter without much problems.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:57 pm

archigabe wrote:Yes, you are right. Though they seem to send a renewal letter without much problems.
Thank you. Would likelihood of renewal depend on whether I am working or not?

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:59 pm

Don't know...only condition is that you should not be a 'burden on the state'

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:01 pm

archigabe wrote:Don't know...only condition is that you should not be a 'burden on the state'
Fair enough. Thanks very much for your advice, archigabe.

microlab

Post by microlab » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:32 pm

Don't know...only condition is that you should not be a 'burden on the state'
I assume that all usual documents(passports,employment details,rent agreement, etc.) should be sent except the actual EU1 form.

sfak
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: recent EU1 decisions (no priorior EU residency)

Post by sfak » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:24 am

rainbow2007 wrote:Hi there!
Have anybody got a EU1 decison recently?
What are those?
Any hope for positive answers?

My husband does not have priorior evidence of legal residence in another EU country.

Rainbow
i applied for eu1 agust 2007 but i granted stamp 4 for a period of 1 year and they said they will review my application again but same story how they will review i dont ve other eu country residency. can anybody tell me wht kind of evidence they need e.g my wife is british and we been lived there several time just like a visit but we living here in ireland and many times we trevelled togather to the UK and Frace just like a visit so wht type of evidence they want.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:29 am

sfak
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by sfak » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:46 pm

still not quite clear wht dose that mean lawfully residence of another eu state i need help thanks

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:16 pm

Are you asking whether you were resident? Or how to prove it?

The non-EU family member was resident if they were travelling with the EU family member. Does not matter what they were doing there if it was for less than 90 days. If it was for more than 90 days, then the EU family member had to have been working, studying, or self sufficient.

sfak
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by sfak » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:23 pm

[quote="Directive/2004/38/EC"]Are you asking whether you were resident? Or how to prove it?

The non-EU family member was resident if they were travelling with the EU family member. Does not matter what they were doing there if it was for less than 90 days. If it was for more than 90 days, then the EU family member had to have been working, studying, or self sufficient.[/quote

we travelled so many times togather. so it means if i visit to france with my wife n son (British National) n come back to ireland where we are living so it means i will have a evidence yeah that your means i m totaly confused could u suggesting me any adivse whah to do i have been granted stamp 4 alreay but under national laws they need a evidence even i have send my passport to them which stamped so many times by british immigration.