ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Weird case

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ILR2
Newly Registered

Weird case

Post by ILR2 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:09 pm

Mine is an odd case. Any help would be appreciated. Below is a brief history:
Arrived 6th October 1996 aged 17 with a 2-year UK student visa
When Visa ran out, older brother (who is a British Citizen born in the UK) decided to apply for ILR as a dependant on him (he was aged 24 then) and two other British siblings. No reply from HO, so he and a solicitor decided to apply for asylum. I had no idea what this was, but they took statements from me (I had a dodgey past).
Several months later, still no reply, but I applied for a work permit (2001) and started working. Claim not upheld (2002) but advised by new solicitor to appeal. Apparently they never got this application, so left in limbo for a few months. Solicitor decides that best option would be for another application for indefinite leave to remain in the UK for exceptional circumstances, so new application made November 2003. In all this time I have been working for various employers. Will now have been living in the UK continuously for 7years and almost 7 months. No police record, no children, no partner, and no gaps in employment since I got my work permit. No reply yet from HO. Unfortunately will not consider my job as 'highly skilled', just a secretary who started out as a cleaner. Only educated to A' Level standard, no plans to go to University at the moment. Might consider starting a business, but will have to go to university before even starting to research that.

What do I do? Sit and continue to wait? Or is there some other application I should have been making?

Thank you for your time.

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:37 pm

ILR2,

Your case is really weird because I have read several times and cant follow it up...

...could you please break it down in order and explain it further!!

Just a few more questions

1)Did you get a workpermit for a secretarial job???

2). What happened to your assylum case?

3). What is your current status?- waiting for reply from HO
Where there is a will there is a way.

ILR2
Newly Registered

Post by ILR2 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:03 am

Thanks, I hope I can clarify things for you...

I did not have to have a job to get one. I was told to just ask for one becuase I had an outstanding asylum case.

2). What happened to your assylum case?

The first one was rejected, the second one 'vanished' because the HO claimed there was no appeal, which there was. The solicitor wrote to them several times asking them to comment on what was going on and did not get anywhere with that, so decided to the ILR application, as a lot of time had elapsed etc.

3). What is your current status?- waiting for reply from HO

I don't really know. No one is looking for me, so it isnt all bad. But no one is responding to me either! As it is, it seems I have one asylum appeal that they never recieved, and two ILR applications that are awaiting responses. The last one I can vouch for at least, because I got written confirmation. I think I'm as confused as you are, but time waits for no one and that is why I am here to see if there is something else I should be doing.

Thanking you in anticipation.

ILR2

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:30 am

ILR2,

I think we should wait for the results of the appeal and then lay a better strategy....

can you please re-write your first post in a clearer manner as it is not quite straight forward working out your case!!!!

I did not have to have a job to get one. I was told to just ask for one becuase I had an outstanding asylum case.

So YOU applied for a workpermit!, this is quite strange as only employers are able to apply for workpermits......(decision not upheld in 2002??)..what decision was that?

I am afraid you will have to break down your case further to be able to get meaningfull help from the forum.

All the best
Where there is a will there is a way.

ILR2
Newly Registered

Post by ILR2 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:51 pm

Tricky one eh?

"I think we should wait for the results of the appeal and then lay a better strategy...."

Ok. Thanks.

"So YOU applied for a workpermit!, this is quite strange as only employers are able to apply for workpermits......"

Erm...now you've got me confused. Thats not what I was told by the solicitor and HO officials. I was told that I needed to contact them for a letter that I could show employers that I am able to take up employment in the UK. Thats all that it was. Just a letter saying that I could work. Apparently if you apply for asylum then you are entitled to take up employment after ?6 months, but you need the letter first. The solicitor called it a work permit. Maybe that is not what it is actually called, but thats what he called it.

"(decision not upheld in 2002??)..what decision was that?"

That was the first asylum decision. The case was not coherent, there was a lot of unanswered questions and time wasted, but the abjucator admitted as much and thus granted permission for us to appeal (or so the letter said).

"I am afraid you will have to break down your case further to be able to get meaningfull help from the forum"

I suppose the lingo I use is not the right one, but thats what I hear from the solicitors. Apologies for any misunderstanding.

ILR2

abib1
BANNED

Re: Weird case

Post by abib1 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:50 am

ILR2 can u plz update, did u ever get ur asylum accepted? im in a similar position
thanks

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Weird case

Post by ohara » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:32 am

abib1 wrote:ILR2 can u plz update, did u ever get ur asylum accepted? im in a similar position
thanks
:shock: :shock: :shock:

This thread is TWELVE YEARS old and the original poster hasn't visited the forum since the day they posted the thread!!!!