ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English language requirement

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tim1234
Newly Registered

English language requirement

Post by tim1234 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:51 pm

My wife is currently applying for British citizenship. She currently has ILR and I am a British citizen.
She completed the IELTS exam in 2011 which we used for the ILR application.
Can we use this same IELTS exam, even though it has expired, for the citizenship application.
She also has a BA degree from the British Open University in English and French. Would this be ok to use?
The Open Univeristy is on the list of approved universities: https://www.gov.uk/check-a-university-i ... sed-bodies
As it is a British university NARIC can't approve. We do have a letter from the Open University detailing the course and that it was taught in English.
Also, does the fact that it is distance learning affect it?
Any help would be really appreciated.
Thanks.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: English language requirement

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:43 pm

A degree taught in English in the UK is sufficient for the English requirement, so no need for IELTS. Suggest you attach the letter plus degree certificate. If you go via NCS you will retain the originals.
EDIT: You got the LITUK? That's valid for life! OU is a bona fide academic institution, therefore on the official list.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Anusha008
Newly Registered

Post by Anusha008 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:56 pm

Thanks Tim for the reply.

I have also called HO to enquire about this, they also advise me to provide evidence for English language Test.

Though I strongly believe I don't have to provide this document, I have decided to get the B1 certificate from Trinity College.

All the best everyone.

Regards,
Anusha

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:41 pm

Anusha008 wrote:Thanks Tim for the reply.

I have also called HO to enquire about this, they also advise me to provide evidence for English language Test.

Though I strongly believe I don't have to provide this document, I have decided to get the B1 certificate from Trinity College.

All the best everyone.

Regards,
Anusha
Per AN_Booklet Page 13 - note point (ii):
b. Have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and
(i) UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English or
(ii) the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country other than Canada;
Not sure why HO Helpline did not state this if your degree was taught in the UK. They should know this? Rather than telling you to take the B1?
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:45 pm

Because the HO helpline is useless :D
What alterhase told you is correct - if you have obtained a Bachelor's degree from a UK university there is no need to take an English test.
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.