ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long does approval take?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Ohoopee

How long does approval take?

Post by Ohoopee » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:20 am

Hi, I have been offered a job in Ireland and have accepted it. I am now going through the process of filling out the work permit paper work with my prospective employer. I have filled out my personal information and have sent the form along with all necissary item (photo's ect.) to my prospetive employer so that they can fill out the rest and submit the form.

I noticed while filling out the form that it states to send in the form 12 weeks before the planned start date. I have just finished school and am currently unemployed waiting for my work visa to be approved so I can go to Ireland. My question is, what is the average time that it takes for a work permit to be issued? Will it take the full 12 weeks?

Also, I am young (25), unmarried and have two college degrees in my field from two different schools, one in the US and one in the UK.

What do you think the chances are that my work permit will be denied?

I am a citizen of the US if that matters at all.

My prospective employer told me that I am the first non EU citizen that the buisness has ever hired so they have no idea about the above questions.

Thanks in advance.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:09 am

It all depends what line of work you're applying for and what the annual salary will be. Don't apply for a work permit if you are eligible to apply for a 'green card' - its not a green card like the US green card but it is more favorable than a regular work permit. It wont take 12 weeks, the average waiting time seems to be around 2 weeks after receipt of application. If you meet the criteria you wont be denied. Most of the information can be found at:

http://www.entemp.ie/labour/workpermits/guidelines.htm

Current Processing Times: Applications are processed strictly in date of receipt order. Today we are processing applications received on the following dates for the specific types of permits.

* Green Cards 15th January 2008
* Work Permits 15th January 2008
* Medical Professionals 15th January 2008
* Spousal/Dependant 23rd January 2008
* Intra-company Transfer 25th January 2008

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:27 pm

If everything is in order, it should take around 2-3 weeks. I had to supply additional documents (these weren't actually asked for in the application) and mine took 5 weeks in total. It took another week for my green card to show up in Denmark, where I was living at the time. I think they say allow 12 weeks due to the issues that can crop up.

Regarding the dates, however, when I was applying they said that there was something wrong with the system that actually updated these dates on the website, and they were out by about a week (meaning I had to wait longer). I think they've since been fixed as I know of someone who was granted their green card after 3 weeks waiting (and over christmas too).

Regarding denial, the major reasons that I'm aware of are either being in the country and applying for your first permit (there are some exceptions to this rule), and, for the green card, not having a degree. Seemingly they approve a large portion of the applications they receive. They publish these statistics on the DETE website.

Ohoopee

Post by Ohoopee » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:47 am

Thank you both very much. I feel a lot better about the situation now. My work permit is being mailed to my employer not me as I figured that they would need it before I would but I will send them an email and tell them what you said about a Green Card. Since I have two degrees. I shoudl be eligable for it.

Ohoopee

Post by Ohoopee » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:24 am

Hey, joesoap101,

I have read the information page you linked to and I think I should be fine but I want to run the job details by you to see what you think.

I am being hired by a hotel as a Chef. I have an associates degree from a Le Cordon Bleu School in the United States and also hold the Cuisine Diploma from Le Cordon Bleu in London. I am just coming off of my first Head Chefs job in the US.

I am being hired as a Chef de Partie in the Hotel Spam.

The salary offered is only 410 Euros a week but, the hotel is also providing me with free furnished housing, free utilities, and free meals on the days that I work. So when you calculate that in, that is about 600 Euro's a week (their breakdown not mine) which would come to a little over 30,000 Euros a week.

So seeing that, I should be eligable for a Work Permit or a Green Card right?

Thanks in advance.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:38 am

Ohoopee wrote:..which would come to a little over 30,000 Euros a week..
Wow - lucky you! (He he, I know you meant a year). :D

sovtek

Post by sovtek » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:13 pm

Ohoopee wrote:Hey, joesoap101,

The salary offered is only 410 Euros a week but, the hotel is also providing me with free furnished housing, free utilities, and free meals on the days that I work. So when you calculate that in, that is about 600 Euro's a week (their breakdown not mine) which would come to a little over 30,000 Euros a week.

S
I think that the salary must be at least 30K excluding benefits and that is only for certain occupations. Check out http://www.entemp.ie/publications/labou ... ncards.pdf. Go to the Appendix A and they give the professions that qualify for under €60K. Chefs don't seem to be in the list.
Also is the free accomodation permanent or just for a limited period of time. If the latter then that is not a great salary for Dublin (well Ireland really).
Typical monthly rent for anything above a tenement is at least €500 a month sharing. Thats before bills, food and the real killer...drink.

Ohoopee

Post by Ohoopee » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:46 pm

The housing is for as long as I want it. I said it was free but they have it worked out into packages. If I did not pick the live in package, I would be making more money per week so I guess technically it is not free, I am just not seeing it come out of my check. If I decide later to get my own place, then my salary will go up.

It is not in Dublin, it is in County Kerry. I told them that I would require a place to stay at least until I decide if I like the job and the area and want to stay. So, they have never told me what the salary without the live in would be, they just said that if you count the value of the housing, it would be 600 - 700 Euros a week.