ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I get ILR status - options for my wife and son?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

RDeen25
Newly Registered

I get ILR status - options for my wife and son?

Post by RDeen25 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:58 pm

Hello All,

Thanks in advance for your responses.

I'm eligible for ILR now and will be lodging my application this month. My wife and son (born in UK) are both currently dependent on my Tier 2 visa which expires in September 2017. I've read through the UK Immigration website but confused with the different options...

My question: what are the visa options for my wife and son now??
- Is there a dependent on ILR option for my wife (she arrived here in 2013) and when should I apply for this?
- when is the best time to apply for my son's citizenship, given he was born in the UK?

Thanks.
Deen

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: I get ILR status - options for my wife and son?

Post by CR001 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:00 pm

On what basis are you applying for ILR, PBS 5 years residence or 10 years long residence?

UK born child does not need ILR if you intend to register him as British once you have ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

RDeen25
Newly Registered

Post by RDeen25 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:01 pm

CR001 wrote:On what basis are you applying for ILR, PBS 5 years residence or 10 years long residence?
I'm applying on the Tier 2 PBS 5 year tenure.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:28 pm

- Is there a dependent on ILR option for my wife (she arrived here in 2013) and when should I apply for this?
She can continue to extend her PBS Dependent visa until she qualifies for ILR. If you switch to FLR(M) - (Dependent on ILR as you say), it will reset her clock for ILR to zero and she will need a new 5 year residence period (2 X 2.5 year visas) before she qualifies for ILR.
- when is the best time to apply for my son's citizenship, given he was born in the UK?
Once you have ILR and have your BRP card. There is no 'best time'.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

RDeen25
Newly Registered

Post by RDeen25 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:06 pm

Okay, thanks for that!

So I can continue to extend my wife's PBS dependent visa even though I have now moved on to the ILR? They won't force me to move her on the FLR right?

I will prepare my son's documentation then - I don't want Theresa May messing with any rules next April!!

Also, slightly off topic - upon my wife reaching the 5 year tenure for ILR, will she have to show evidence of a salary in order to qualify?

Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:53 pm

RDeen25 wrote:Okay, thanks for that!

So I can continue to extend my wife's PBS dependent visa even though I have now moved on to the ILR? Yes They won't force me to move her on the FLR right? No

I will prepare my son's documentation then - I don't want Theresa May messing with any rules next April!! Citizenship laws do not really change, it is a big thing to change them, unlike immigration rules which are easier to amend/change. A UK born child has an entitlement to register, i.e. cannot be refused.

Also, slightly off topic - upon my wife reaching the 5 year tenure for ILR, will she have to show evidence of a salary in order to qualify? No, I don't believe so as she is a dependent.

Thanks.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

RDeen25
Newly Registered

Post by RDeen25 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:05 pm

Thanks Char! You've been really helpful :)

Have a good one!

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:22 pm

RDeen25 wrote:I will prepare my son's documentation then - I don't want Theresa May messing with any rules next April!!
Even when changes are made, they rarely have retrospective effect. If you look at the wording in of the British Nationality Act 1981 it almost always says "A person born in the United Kingdom after commencement" therefore the legislation will not affect people born before.

Such things are evident with UKM and UKF, where significant changes were made between the 1948 and 1981 acts, but instead of retrospectively changes people's status, they simply added a provision which would allow people to apply instead.