ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EAA Family Permit - Biometrics Question

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

colonel_sanders
Newly Registered

EAA Family Permit - Biometrics Question

Post by colonel_sanders » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:16 pm

Hello,

I am a New Zealand national a currently living in the UK with an EAA Family Permit 'Ink' stamp that was issued to me at the border when I travelled with my wife (French National). I would like to be able to leave the UK and come back without my wife having to walk me through the border each time.

I realise that I have the option to apply for a residence card, but I can't be without my passport for 4 months at the moment (which is how long I've read that it takes to process the application). The very helpful staff at the UK border mentioned that if had applied for an EAA family permit outside of the UK, I could leave and return as I please for 6 months.

I was wondering if I could apply for an EAA family permit outside of the UK through the NZ embassy in France (or any other European country)? Or, will I have to go back to New Zealand to submit my application? I could not find the answer online...

Hope that makes sense. Thank you for your help!

C_S

noajthan

Re: EAA Family Permit - Biometrics Question

Post by noajthan » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:22 pm

colonel_sanders wrote:Hello,

I am a New Zealand national a currently living in the UK with an EAA Family Permit 'Ink' stamp that was issued to me at the border when I travelled with my wife (French National). I would like to be able to leave the UK and come back without my wife having to walk me through the border each time.

I realise that I have the option to apply for a residence card, but I can't be without my passport for 4 months at the moment (which is how long I've read that it takes to process the application). The very helpful staff at the UK border mentioned that if had applied for an EAA family permit outside of the UK, I could leave and return as I please for 6 months.

I was wondering if I could apply for an EAA family permit outside of the UK through the NZ embassy in France (or any other European country)? Or, will I have to go back to New Zealand to submit my application? I could not find the answer online...

Hope that makes sense. Thank you for your help!

C_S
Readily available guidance (online) intimates that residence is required in country of application for a FP.
But previous discussion in forum (you may find it if you search) suggests that's not strictly correct.
As its free to apply why not try.

And be aware of a new pilot RC scheme whereby passport is validated by a council checking service and returned to you. That may float your boat.

It started this month.
Not sure if only available to EEA nationals or non-EEA too - check it out.

Example:
https://new.enfield.gov.uk/services/reg ... n-service/
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

colonel_sanders
Newly Registered

Post by colonel_sanders » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:36 pm

Thanks noajthan!

I'll look into this information.

MrSlyFox

Post by MrSlyFox » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:06 pm

Sadly the online application which allows you to keep your passport is only open to EEA nationals and not their non-EEA family :'(

I believe you can apply for an EEA Family Permit at any UK mission aboard (that issues visas, etc).

Otherwise if you do apply for a Residence Card you can request your passport back after you submit biometrics, however the HO may take several weeks to return it (Unlikely to be returned in the ten days they promise).

colonel_sanders
Newly Registered

Post by colonel_sanders » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:09 pm

Hi Mr Slyfox,

That's great news, thank you!

Do you have any idea how long the wait time is from application to the time you submit biometrics?

Warm regards,
C_S