ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

advise to bring my mum under settlement

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sen
Newly Registered

Post by sen » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:07 am

Current visa status is WP. Another yr to go before PR.

My mum stays with me 6 months in a year as its the max we could get out of visitor visa.

I checked the vaf 4 visa guidance notes and form... it doesnt list any sort of conditions like age limit or financial support proof necessary etc before my mum could apply for settlement visa.

My dad supports her back in india and he is still working. she's got years to go before she is 65.

Please advise if it is possible to add her in the dependents list in my visa? or is there something I'm overseeing??? Many thanks in advance.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:56 am

Unfortunately, parents are not included in the list of possible dependants (194-199 and 295J-295L) of work permit holders.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

deepakmehtauk

Post by deepakmehtauk » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:05 pm

sen,
I dont think its possible.
I am a British citizen, my mum isnt. She is all alone in India & has been diagnosed with a terminal illness. She was 64 last year & we applied for ILR under compassionate grounds. We got a refusal notice last week after 10 months.
I think BIA are very strict. In your case, I am not particularly sure about mums being on the list for eligibility as dependants (wrt WP), but as your dad is alive & financially supports her, you would find it impossible to convince the HO to allow her to stay with you as you dependant.

You could apply for 2 or 5 yr multiple entry visa & then she could spend 6 months here, go back to India for a few weeks & reenter UK. Even though technically you can spend only 6 months in the UK in 1 calender yaear, HO is not very strict in this regard. My friends mum has re-entered UK after 1 week in France for a period of another 6 months.

Deepak Mehta

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:53 pm

You could apply for 2 or 5 yr multiple entry visa & then she could spend 6 months here
It needs to be appreciated that the current 6 months time per visit is going to get reduced to a maximum of only 3 months.
John

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:01 pm

deepakmehtauk wrote:sen,
Even though technically you can spend only 6 months in the UK in 1 calender yaear, HO is not very strict in this regard. My friends mum has re-entered UK after 1 week in France for a period of another 6 months.

Deepak Mehta
It's pot luck, mate, I know two who got in bother for this although both we're admitted. And they're both white Americans!

And as John said the six months is gonna go down to three, visit visas are for visits, not for effectively settling on.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:43 pm

Deepak - if you'd like help with the appeal please let me know.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!