ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child Born in the UK to EEA Nationals

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

klepakd
Newly Registered

Child Born in the UK to EEA Nationals

Post by klepakd » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:24 pm

Hi Everyone,

I wondered if the senior members of this forum can help me out. Me and my wife just had a daughter born on the 9th of November 2016. We are about to register her here in the UK on the 8th of December. I am currently trying to fill out the passport application form and I'm confused about which application form I should fill out. I have two of them on my hand the MN1 and S2 application forms. Me and my wife have been in the UK since 2005 so we have exercised the rights for much longer than 5 years. My question is about the form itself. Our daughter is currently classified as "stateless" she doesn't have a nationality. Does that mean we need to fill out the S2 form or you would suggest filling out the MN1 form anyway. I'd really appreciate your feedback.

Kindest Regards,

David.

klepakd
Newly Registered

Re: Child Born in the UK to EEA Nationals

Post by klepakd » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:44 pm

I just read the guide on the MN1. It states the following:

Children born outside the UK who are, and always have been stateless (have
no citizenship) see – guide S2

 Children born in the UK who are, and always have been stateless (have no
citizenship) see – guide S3

By looking at the guide, if the child at present is stateless but was born in the UK, I need to fill out the S3 application form correct?

Thanks

David.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:01 pm

Why do you think your child is stateless :?:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:23 pm

Just because the child does not have a passport does not mean that s/he is stateless.

What is the nationality of your wife and yourself? There is a good chance that your child has inherited citizenship from either your wife or you or both.

Have either your wife or you acquired PR? If one of you has, apply with form MN1.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:33 pm

secret.simon wrote:Have either your wife or you acquired PR? If one of you has, apply with form MN1.
Child born after OP and spouse been in UK for 11 years. Likely either or both attained PR a long time ago, therefore child will be automatically British if OP can provide the evidence of being a qualified person and attaining PR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:07 am

CR001 wrote:
secret.simon wrote:Have either your wife or you acquired PR? If one of you has, apply with form MN1.
Child born after OP and spouse been in UK for 11 years. Likely either or both attained PR a long time ago, therefore child will be automatically British if OP can provide the evidence of being a qualified person and attaining PR.
That is a good observation. If in the 12 years theRe has been continuous treaty rights and in the last 5, there has been no absence of 2 years or more, then I agree that child will be British.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:41 pm

I don't think there are many, if even any EEA countries which do not permit citizenship to pass down at least one generation to children born abroad.

FYI my sister was born with citizenship of UK, Switzerland, and Finland.

If for some bizarre reason both parents are unable to transmit citizenship jus sanguinis due to whatever nationality laws in their home country, and they are not settled in the UK (highly unlikely after 12 years residence), the child is most likely a British citizen automatically under the UN convention on the reduction of statelessness.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:09 pm

There are multiple unknowns at the moment regarding the OP's situation. Knowing his specific nationality and that of his wife (out of the 30-odd EEA nationalities) will help us guide him better, by for example, advising the statelessness of the children, WRS status/questions, etc.

So, I request the OP again to list the specific nationalities of his wife and himself for us to advise him further.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.