ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registration of a child born in Nigeria as BC

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

agba_akin
Newly Registered

Registration of a child born in Nigeria as BC

Post by agba_akin » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:17 am

I would like to as the forum about an application for my daughter registration as a bc. I am a british citizen naturalized in 2011 and i gave birth to my daughter in 2008 and her mother is in nigeria as well we all living in nigeria nw. Am considering moving my family to the UK dis yr and i want to consider applying for my daughter registration.Please can someone advice on which section am qualify to register her and what are the documents i need to put in the application.I would appreciate ur responses.many thx

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Registration of a child born in Nigeria as BC

Post by ohara » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:01 am

You will be able to register the child under section 3(1) once she and the mother have ILR.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-form-mn1

Read the application and the guidance thoroughly. The price is currently £925 but it will almost certainly have increased by the time you're ready to apply.
Last edited by ohara on Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

secret.simon

Re: Registration of a child born in Nigeria as BC

Post by secret.simon » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:01 am

As a child born abroad, the child's registration as a British citizen is at the Home Office's discretion.

Children born abroad have the same immigration status as that of the less-privileged parent. So, if you were to return to the UK with your family, you would have to apply for both the wife and child on VAF 4A and meet the salary requirement for a spouse and a child (£22,400 per annum).

Once the child is in the UK with the mother, his/her immigration status will remain in line with that of the mother uptil ILR. Once the mother and child both get ILR, the child can apply for registration under Section 3(1).

Also see Page 12 of the Guide MN1;
Children in this category will be considered at the Home Secretary’s discretion and will usually be registered only if both the parents are granted or already hold British citizenship, or if one parent holds British citizenship and the other is settled in the UK.
"Settled in the UK" means holding ILR.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.