ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spousal Visa Paperwork Question

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

futureUKbride
Newly Registered

Spousal Visa Paperwork Question

Post by futureUKbride » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:11 pm

Hello,

My boyfriend and I will be getting married next summer. I am an American citizen currently on a Tier 4 Student Visa and have been living in the UK now for almost 4 years. He is a UK citizen. My question is about the spousal visa paperwork.

Unfortunately, 8 years ago I did something really stupid and now have a misdemeanor on my record. I spent no time in jail and did 24 hours of community service. I am in the process of having my file expunged (sealed) as to not have any issues with obtaining a job/house should we ever decide to move back to the states. My question is, obviously, I was able to get a Tier 4 visa with my record, however, should my file be expunged, should I still list it on the application when it asks for past convictions? Will writing "expunged" on the paperwork suffice or will I need to spell out what I did. Once my record is expunged, I won't have access to my file any longer as it will be sealed. Will I need to provide documents of the expungement?

Thank you for your help

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Spousal Visa Paperwork Question

Post by seagul » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:54 am

If you have few spare quids and little patience then request SAR file under freedom of information which will tell your records in the books of home office. It takes some time to reach but it's great source of information.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Spousal Visa Paperwork Question

Post by Casa » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:27 am

futureUKbride wrote:Hello,

My boyfriend and I will be getting married next summer. I am an American citizen currently on a Tier 4 Student Visa and have been living in the UK now for almost 4 years. He is a UK citizen. My question is about the spousal visa paperwork.

Unfortunately, 8 years ago I did something really stupid and now have a misdemeanor on my record. I spent no time in jail and did 24 hours of community service. I am in the process of having my file expunged (sealed) as to not have any issues with obtaining a job/house should we ever decide to move back to the states. My question is, obviously, I was able to get a Tier 4 visa with my record, however, should my file be expunged, should I still list it on the application when it asks for past convictions? Will writing "expunged" on the paperwork suffice or will I need to spell out what I did. Once my record is expunged, I won't have access to my file any longer as it will be sealed. Will I need to provide documents of the expungement?

Thank you for your help
I assume you mean that you are intending to have your criminal records sealed in the US? UKVI Case Worker may well refuse your application if they are unable to have access to your records to confirm the gravity of the past convictions. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.