ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Suggestions for EU Dependent

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

_Angel_

Suggestions for EU Dependent

Post by _Angel_ » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:08 am

Hi All,

I am asking this question on behalf of my friend.

Need some suggestions on to how to proceed.

His situation.

- Married (unregistered, religious marriage) to Irish girl
- He is from non EU country
- Both are currently living in UK, since April 2016
- The boy has no valid "leave to remain"
- The girl is expecting a baby in Jan 2017.
- The girl has a NI number and I think exercising her EU treaty rights

He wants to legalize his stay in this country. What are his options.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Suggestions for EU Dependent

Post by ohara » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:35 pm

If his marriage is a religious one performed in the UK and no civil registration has been done, then legally he is not married.

How long have they been together?
How did he initially enter the country?
Does he have a valid passport?
Has he been working?

_Angel_

Post by _Angel_ » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:48 pm

How long have they been together?. since June 2015
How did he initially enter the country? He was on Tier 1. Tier 1 extension was refused and he currently have no leave to remain.
Does he have a valid passport? Yes( I think)

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:54 pm

He's in about the most difficult situation possible then. He won't even qualify as an unmarried partner.

Your best bet would be to return to his or your home country, marry, and then return under the EEA regulations.

When did his Tier 1 visa expire? Is the Home Office aware that he has overstayed?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:37 pm

Does your non-EEA friend and his EEA girlfriend live together? Do they have proof of living together such as joint bank accounts, joint utility bills, joint council tax statements?

When did his T1 visa expire? And has he appealed the decision?

I agree with Ohara, the fastest option for him would be to marry the EEA citizen, either in Ireland or in another country (i.e. not the UK) and return as spouse of an EEA citizen.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

_Angel_

Post by _Angel_ » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:52 pm

secret.simon wrote:Does your non-EEA friend and his EEA girlfriend live together? Do they have proof of living together such as joint bank accounts, joint utility bills, joint council tax statements?

YES.

When did his T1 visa expire? And has he appealed the decision?

About 4/5 years ago - no appeal as far as I know

I agree with Ohara, the fastest option for him would be to marry the EEA citizen, either in Ireland or in another country (i.e. not the UK) and return as spouse of an EEA citizen.

Why not get marriage in UK? as he is currently living in UK? He won't be able to travel to Ireland or any other EU country without visa (which he can't apply, as have no UK VISA)
I was under the impression that he can apply as a spouse of EU national within UK once the marriage is registered.

Please guide as he desperately needs help to sort out this issue.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:06 pm

He can't "register" his religious marriage because the UK will not recognise it. He will need to register his intent to marry, and will almost certainly be required to attend an interview with the Home Office. It's highly likely that he will be detained at the interview with a view for removal.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:11 pm

_Angel_ wrote:Why not get marriage in UK?
Marriages where one of the participants is a non-EEA citizen in the UK must have notice given at designated register offices. The notice period can be and usually is extended from 28 days to 70 days and the couple are interviewed by Home Office staff to ascertain if the marriage is genuine.

https://www.gov.uk/marriages-civil-part ... n-national

There has been a case on these forums (which I can't find the link to) when the Home Office staff turned up at the marriage venue and detained the illegal non-EEA migrant (before the marriage could take place).

Be aware that in any case, due to his illegal status, your non-EEA friend will not be able to apply for British citizenship for at least ten years from the time his status was legalised.

EDIT: Beaten by Ohara.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:41 pm

_Angel_ wrote:Hi All,

I am asking this question on behalf of my friend.

Need some suggestions on to how to proceed.

His situation.

- Married (unregistered, religious marriage) to Irish girl

He wants to legalize his stay in this country. What are his options.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.
What is this religious marriage?
Who conducted it?
Where/when?
What proof of the union is there?
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

_Angel_

Post by _Angel_ » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:46 pm

noajthan wrote: What is this religious marriage?
Who conducted it?
Where/when?
It is an Islamic marriage (Nikah), performed in Scotland this year. They have utility bills on joint names etc. but there is no "registered/legal" proof of marriage.

Thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:52 am

secret.simon wrote:
_Angel_ wrote:Why not get marriage in UK?
Marriages where one of the participants is a non-EEA citizen in the UK must have notice given at designated register offices. The notice period can be and usually is extended from 28 days to 70 days and the couple are interviewed by Home Office staff to ascertain if the marriage is genuine.

https://www.gov.uk/marriages-civil-part ... n-national

There has been a case on these forums (which I can't find the link to) when the Home Office staff turned up at the marriage venue and detained the illegal non-EEA migrant (before the marriage could take place).

Be aware that in any case, due to his illegal status, your non-EEA friend will not be able to apply for British citizenship for at least ten years from the time his status was legalised.

EDIT: Beaten by Ohara.
See secret.simon's post above.
An Islamic ceremony in a UK Mosque won't be recognised as a legal marriage under British law.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:18 pm

_Angel_ wrote:
noajthan wrote: What is this religious marriage?
Who conducted it?
Where/when?
It is an Islamic marriage (Nikah), performed in Scotland this year. They have utility bills on joint names etc. but there is no "registered/legal" proof of marriage.

Thanks
Have a read of this BBC News article from 2010: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8493660.stm

While they may be married under Islamic law, a Nikah conducted in the UK without having performed a civil registry is not recognised under British law.