ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PR for unmarried non-EEA and EEA national

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

oct84
Newly Registered

PR for unmarried non-EEA and EEA national

Post by oct84 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:31 pm

Hi,

I am a non EEA unmarried partner of a EEA national and have my RC just "expired" after 5 years. I have been living in the UK for 10.5 years legally now.

My EEA partner wants to apply for PR and naturalisation, she has lived in the UK for 30+ years but only holds a EEA passport.
She is divorced (was married to a UK citizen for 5+ years) and has 1 kid from that marriage.

We have a couple of questions that we hope you can assist with:

Q1. Does she need to apply for PR under EEA law or can she go other way?

Q2. What would be the best option for both of us to get PR.

Thanks!

secret.simon

Re: PR for unmarried non-EEA and EEA national

Post by secret.simon » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:37 pm

oct84 wrote:Q1. Does she need to apply for PR under EEA law or can she go other way?
If she wishes to retain PR, it is highly recommended (due to the uncertainties of Brexit) for the EEA citizen to get a DCPR, but it is not a requirement.

If she wishes to become a British citizen, a DCPR is a requirement.
oct84 wrote:Q2. What would be the best option for both of us to get PR.
a. Apply for and get your (non-EEA) PR Card.
b. Apply for and get the DCPR for the EEA citizen.
c. Assuming that the EEA citizen's PR was acquired in the past, she should be able to apply for naturalisation immediately.
d. The unmarried non-EEA partner can apply for naturalisation one year after having acquired PR (five years after the start of the RC).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:43 pm

secret.simon wrote:
c. Assuming that the EEA citizen's PR was acquired in the past, she should be able to apply for naturalisation immediately.
d. The unmarried non-EEA partner can apply for naturalisation one year after having acquired PR (five years after the start of the RC).
Bearing in mind that PR itself is of course acquired automatically, not applied for, so the status exists regardless of whether one holds a PR card or DCPR.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:46 pm

ohara wrote:
secret.simon wrote:
Bearing in mind that PR itself is of course acquired automatically, not applied for, so the status exists regardless of whether one holds a PR card or DCPR.
Apologies. The latter part of my answer was predicated on the assumption that the couple would want to progress towards British citizenship.

Ohara is quite correct in stating that if both members of the couple have acquired PR in their individual right, they do not need to do anything to retain it (apart from avoiding absences longer than two years from the UK).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:50 pm

Pro tip: If one partner becomes a BC the other may naturalise as soon as they have PRC (& meet all other requirements for privilege of citizenship) by making a section 6(2) application to naturalise.
That is, instead of waiting a further 12 months for a section 6(1) application.

:!: But make sure everyone who needs EU documentation has it in the bag before EU sponsor naturalises.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:51 pm

noajthan wrote:Pro tip: If one partner becomes a BC the other may naturalise as soon as they have PRC (& meet all other requirements for privilege of citizenship) by making a section 6(2) application to naturalise.
That is, instead of waiting a further 12 months for a section 6(1) application.

:!: But make sure everyone who needs EU documentation has it in the bag before EU sponsor naturalises.
The couple are not married. Section 6(2) only applies to spouses.

oct84
Newly Registered

Post by oct84 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:10 am

Thank you very much for the advise!

We both wish to get BC as we are worried about the changes Brexit might bring.

Can we apply for DCPR at the same time in one application?

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:10 am

oct84 wrote:Can we apply for DCPR at the same time in one application?
Yes, you are able to apply together on the same form EEA(PR). It should be completed from the perspective of the EEA national as they are the main applicant.