ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Husband's passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

LaLeLu85
Newly Registered

Husband's passport

Post by LaLeLu85 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:59 pm

Hi,

I'm nearly ready to apply for citizenship; have passed my LIUK test and filled out my application form, just waiting for the Home Office to send me my Permanent Residency card - already received this a month ago (after 4.5 months wait) but they got my name wrong so had to return it again and not heard anything since :-(

Anyway... I've been married to a British citizen for just over eight years (and have been living in the UK for longer). Even though I'd qualify based on my length of residence I assume the Home Office will consider my application based on marriage and I need to send a copy of my husband's passport. Which would be OK - if it hadn't expired in early November!

Q: Can I take my husband's expired passport or alternative proof such as his birth certificate? I'm planning to use the NCS.

Thank you!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Husband's passport

Post by CR001 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:19 pm

A passport is only a travel document. Find to submit it even if expired and take birth cert just in case (assuming hubby is British born).

Make sure that on the date of your NCS application, that you were physically present in the UK on exactly the same date 3 years previously.

Besides the LIUK, have you got proof of meeting the English requirement (B1 test, UK degree or Naric ELA for foreign degree)?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

LaLeLu85
Newly Registered

Post by LaLeLu85 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:55 pm

CR001 wrote:A passport is only a travel document. Find to submit it even if expired and take birth cert just in case (assuming hubby is British born).

Make sure that on the date of your NCS application, that you were physically present in the UK on exactly the same date 3 years previously.

Besides the LIUK, have you got proof of meeting the English requirement (B1 test, UK degree or Naric ELA for foreign degree)?
Thank you!

Yes, I hold a degree from a UK university so am fine re the English language requirement.

Hoping to get the PR card soon, otherwise I'll have to wait until next year as I was out of the country Christmas 2013 (typical - the only time I was abroad in the last six years).

Was hoping to have it all submitted by now but despite all the paperwork the home office made my maiden name my married name and my married name my second first name so need to wait for them to sort this out :-(

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:55 pm

If you wish you can apply under auspices of section 6(2) of BNA - based on 5 years in UK and not based on marriage. In that case, no passport required from hubby.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:01 am

noajthan wrote:If you wish you can apply under auspices of section 6(2) of BNA - based on 5 years in UK and not based on marriage. In that case, no passport required from hubby.
Do you mean 6(1) of the BNA noajthan? :wink:
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:48 am

CR001 wrote:
noajthan wrote:If you wish you can apply under auspices of section 6(2) of BNA - based on 5 years in UK and not based on marriage. In that case, no passport required from hubby.
Do you mean 6(1) of the BNA noajthan? :wink:
Oops, my mistake - I do indeed. Section 6(1): apply in own right.

Thanks CR001.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

LaLeLu85
Newly Registered

Post by LaLeLu85 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:41 pm

Thanks both - how would I indicate this on the application?

This would actually be beneficial as I could then apply for citizenship before Christmas (assuming the Royal Mail card today is for my PR card!)