ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

husband of uk wife in process of uk settlement visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mackenrob
Newly Registered

husband of uk wife in process of uk settlement visa

Post by mackenrob » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:51 am

I am the husband of a uk wife. We are currently living in Canada. I am in the process of completing my uk settlement visa. Biometrics in two days.

I would like any information on the following.
1. How long will this application last. When will i be able to travel.
2. How much money is sufficient funds.
3. Should our children travel on visas, or should we get them UK passports.

Thanks for any suggestions.

JAJ
Australia

Re: husband of uk wife in process of uk settlement visa

Post by JAJ » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:10 am

mackenrob wrote:I am the husband of a uk wife. We are currently living in Canada. I am in the process of completing my uk settlement visa. Biometrics in two days.

I would like any information on the following.
1. How long will this application last. When will i be able to travel.
2. How much money is sufficient funds.
3. Should our children travel on visas, or should we get them UK passports.

Thanks for any suggestions.

1. When do you want to travel?

2. Suggest you look at the Entry Clearance Manual at http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk

3. British passports. Was your wife born in the U.K.?

Has your wife got her Canadian citizenship?

mackenrob
Newly Registered

Post by mackenrob » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:22 am

We would like to travel as soon as possible. We were aiming for March.

My wife was born in the UK. Lived there all her life until she went travelling and then moved to Canada with me. She only has her permanent resident status.

vinny

Re: husband of uk wife in process of uk settlement visa

Post by vinny » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:31 pm

mackenrob wrote:Just another question on funds available.

Should I show both my own and my wife's bank statements. We are both living in Canada right now.

I have a job offer in UK, but she does not. We have a new born so she will be staying home while I work in UK. Does this have any effect on my visa application.

Again, she is British, I am Canadian, and we are hoping to move there very quickly, as long as it takes to get visa back.
1. Show both sets of bank statements, as they may help with the general maintenance requirements.
What supporting documents should I include with my application? wrote:If you are not sure whether or not you should include a particular document, include it. It is better that we have too many than not enough. But please do not include an excessive number - the entry clearance officer only has a limited amount of time to read the documents.
2. Normally, you should not enter the UK before her.
13.5 - Spouses/civil partners and how they qualify wrote:the sponsor is present and settled in the United Kingdom, or is to be admitted for settlement at the same time as the applicant arrives in the UK;
See also 1.3 - Validity of entry clearance and leave to enter
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

mackenrob
Newly Registered

Post by mackenrob » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:38 pm

Thank you Vinny for your response.

Do you think her not having job offer will be a problem, since I have one?

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:44 pm

mackenrob wrote:Hi,

I have a question regarding maintenance in the UK. We are showing in our application savings which we will take with us in excess of 5000 pounds. Will this be enough?

I have also been given letters for a job offer on my arrival in England. Should I have the employer state hours of work and expected wage?

My wife(UK citizen) does not have a job offer as she will be minding our children on our arrival. Will this have a bad effect on our application?

Please offer any advice or past shared experiences.

Thank you
Please use the same thread as scattering information is not helpful.

It's important for you, as a couple/family, to have sufficient funds. It shouldn't matter who has a job.

Also
9.7 - Assessing adequate means of maintenance for fiancé(e)s and spouses or civil partners wrote:You should be satisfied that job offers are genuine and the work likely to last for the foreseeable future.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

mackenrob
Newly Registered

Post by mackenrob » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:44 am

This last response with your link to the 9.7 has been very useful. This is probably the best link that I have seen in all of my searching, as it pertains to maintenance.

If I take it correctly, I should send my CV with my application, showing skills for working.

mackenrob
Newly Registered

sent off

Post by mackenrob » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:14 pm

My application has been sent off on February 7, 2008. On February 11, 2008 I received an e-mail from BHC in Canada stating the application has arrived. They added that settlement visas will take "several weeks" to process. I will keep you informed on all that happens with my application.

Roibn

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:55 pm

mackenrob wrote:We would like to travel as soon as possible. We were aiming for March.

My wife was born in the UK. Lived there all her life until she went travelling and then moved to Canada with me. She only has her permanent resident status.
She will be able to keep her permanent resident status while accompanying you (at least unless the law changes) but she will not be able to become a Canadian citizen from overseas.

How long has she been in Canada and has she thought about getting her Canadian citizenship first?

mackenrob
Newly Registered

success

Post by mackenrob » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:51 am

In last message, i wrote that on February 11, 2008, I received a message from BHC in Ottawa stating that my application has arrived. Now on February 14, I received another message stating that my application for settlement had been successful.

Thought I would add this. Your site was a huge help to my application. It gave me many ideas and included information that I needed to add. Thanks.

mackenrob
Newly Registered

Post by mackenrob » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:31 am

I was granted ILR as a spouse. My ILR Visa was granted on February 15, 2008, as is written on the visa. Can you tell me how much time I have to enter the UK.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:18 am

mackenrob wrote:I was granted ILR as a spouse. My ILR Visa was granted on February 15, 2008, as is written on the visa. Can you tell me how much time I have to enter the UK.
What exactly does it say on the visa?