ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Long term Visitor visa for parents

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

chiku1980

Long term Visitor visa for parents

Post by chiku1980 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:33 pm

Hi
I am not sure if this is the right section to post this question but I did not find any better.

I am looking for guidance on visitor visa that I am planning to apply for my parents so that they can visit me in the UK. We want them in the UK so that they can help us with our 4 month old daughter.

I know that once they come to the UK on a visitor visa, the maximum that they can stay is 6 months.
i.e. cannot stay for more than 6 months for a visit.

However, the question I have is what happens in case they have a multiple entry visa valid for 2 year.

Can they come once, stay for say 5 months and go back to India. Then after a month or so come back again and stay for 5 more months?

The guidance notes for visitor visa has the following section F"requent or successive visits: how to assess if an applicant is making the UK their main home or place of work - UK and how frequently are they returning? You must assess if they are, in effect, making the UK their main home." In that it says "There is no specified maximum period which an individual can spend in the UK in any period such as ‘6 months in 12 months’. However, if it is clear from an individual’s travel history that they are making the UK their home you should refuse their application."

The website also has this

"Long-term visit visas

If you can prove you need to visit the UK regularly over a longer period, you can apply for a visa that lasts 2, 5 or 10 years. You can stay for a maximum of 6 months on each visit."

If they do get a 2 year visa can they come any number of times to the UK and at any frequency as long as each stay does not exceed 6 months?

Also, is help taking care of our daughter (their grand daugther) good enough reason to apply for a long term visa??

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Long term Visitor visa for parents

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:03 pm

chiku1980 wrote:Hi
I am not sure if this is the right section to post this question but I did not find any better.

I am looking for guidance on visitor visa that I am planning to apply for my parents so that they can visit me in the UK. We want them in the UK so that they can help us with our 4 month old daughter.

I know that once they come to the UK on a visitor visa, the maximum that they can stay is 6 months.
i.e. cannot stay for more than 6 months for a visit. 6 months is residing not visiting.

However, the question I have is what happens in case they have a multiple entry visa valid for 2 year.

Can they come once, stay for say 5 months and go back to India. Then after a month or so come back again and stay for 5 more months? No, they cannot be spending more time in the UK than in their home country, this would be residing in the UK.

The guidance notes for visitor visa has the following section F"requent or successive visits: how to assess if an applicant is making the UK their main home or place of work - UK and how frequently are they returning? You must assess if they are, in effect, making the UK their main home." In that it says "There is no specified maximum period which an individual can spend in the UK in any period such as ‘6 months in 12 months’. However, if it is clear from an individual’s travel history that they are making the UK their home you should refuse their application."

The website also has this

"Long-term visit visas

If you can prove you need to visit the UK regularly over a longer period, you can apply for a visa that lasts 2, 5 or 10 years. You can stay for a maximum of 6 months on each visit."

If they do get a 2 year visa can they come any number of times to the UK and at any frequency as long as each stay does not exceed 6 months? It is still generally no more than 6 months in a 12 month cycle.

Also, is help taking care of our daughter (their grand daugther) good enough reason to apply for a long term visa?? So you basically want to admit that they are applying for a visitor visa to come and 'work' as a childminder :?:
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:11 pm

chiku1980 wrote:...

Also, is help taking care of our daughter (their grand daugther) good enough reason to apply for a long term visa??
It is in fact a very poor reason.
It is acceptable for visitors to act as a temporary child minder for relatives where:
  • the applicant is a close relative of one of the child’s parents, for example, parent, brother, sister, in-law;
    neither parent is able to supervise the daytime care of the child;
    it is not simply an arrangement to enable both parents to take gainful employment (that is, the arrangement should be to help in a temporary situation only);
    neither parent is in a category leading to settlement;
    the applicant will not receive a salary (except provision of board, accommodation and pocket money);
    the applicant intends to remain in the UK for not more than 6 months.
But if it is suspected that the arrangement amounts to employment, paid or unpaid, the application should be refused on those grounds.
Ref https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ives-vat24
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

BClassBritish

Post by BClassBritish » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:30 pm

chiku1980,

If I were you I would search Surinder Singh route and by pass this UKBA mess where they treat you like criminals just because you want to visit your loved ones.

All the best :)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:09 pm

BClassBritish wrote:chiku1980,

If I were you I would search Surinder Singh route and by pass this UKBA mess where they treat you like criminals just because you want to visit your loved ones.

All the best :)
Can you kindly refrain from posting all over the place. Just because you are having difficulties with HO, does not mean you should start spamming the forum and other members topics completely unrelated to the EEA/EU rules route.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

chiku1980

Post by chiku1980 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:13 am

Thanks for the advice guys - makes things clear to me!