ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship For Children

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mairahsmp
Newly Registered

British Citizenship For Children

Post by mairahsmp » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:21 am

I hope that some of the forum members would be able to share their experiences on below dillemma.

Background:
- I am Indian national and we (self + wife + 2 children) have been granted ILR in Dec. 2007. Both my children are born in UK and as per the HO gudelines I can register them for British Citizenship.
- I understand from Indian government rules that british children can't apply for Overseas Indian Citizenship (OIC) Card unless at least one of their parents is a British citizen. So only choice is to apply for PIO card.
- At the moment, I and my wife don't have plans for applying for British Citizenship.
- We are planning to retrun to India in mid-2009.

Query:
Q1) Should I apply for British Citizenship for both children?
Q2) Would they face any issue while seeking admission to primary school in India?
Q3) If at a later date, we decide to take Indian citizenship for children, will it be possible to gain Indian citizenship for children?
Q4) Can a child renounce British citizenship before the age of 18?
Q5) If any member (in similar situation) has returned back to India, can he/she share their experience?

Thanking you,

Regards
R

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:00 pm

1. They're your children so your choice, but I would think British citizenship + PIO would give them more options than Indian citizenship. Bear in mind that if they are not registered as British before age 18, the opportunity is lost.

2. Don't know.

3. As long as India accepts that the children are British.

4. Absolutely not.