ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA2 RC / Questions for CSI and Economic Sufficiency

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

VicenteRM
Newly Registered

EEA2 RC / Questions for CSI and Economic Sufficiency

Post by VicenteRM » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:43 pm

Hello there!
I will need to apply in January for the Residency Card as a Non-EU Family member of an EU National Student. I have some questions regarding the CSI and the economic sufficiency we will need to demonstrate.
I am a Chilean national married to a Spanish national. I successfully applied for the EEA Family Permit and moved together with my husband in London in September. He is exercising his treaty rights as a full-time Student till December 2017 (then he's planning to work here). Since my Family Permit ends at the end of February, I will need to apply for the Residence Card in January. On the meantime, I have been looking for a job for the past few months, and I think that I'm very close to getting one starting in January (I am going to the last interview now in two different places, and because of their enthusiasm, it all indicates that I'll get at least one offer :shock: ).

In terms of health insurance, since he is a student, I know we both need a CSI. For the past few months, we have been covered with the Spanish EHIC, and we will start a comprehensive plan with Freedom Health Insurance next week.
In terms of economic sufficiency, we have been living from savings and with the help of his parents. As a wedding gift, they offered to pay for our apartment for a year (I know, best inlaws ever).

My main doubts about my application are that if I get hired in January, will I still need to be covered by the CSI?
And secondly, how could we demonstrate our economic sufficiency?

I was planning to show our savings (they are not much now, around 5k), plus a letter from his parents explaining their gift, plus the initial contract (if I get a Job). Would that be enough? I guess that if it isn't enough I could probably wait for my application to be denied (6 months after I apply) and then appeal once I have enough payslips to prove my income. I can't seem to find any concrete number on how much money they are asking for.

In terms of proving our relationship, we got all the evidence we used for the Family Permit + our joint account here and all of our bills directed to ourselves at the same address here in London. So I'm sure we at least have that covered.

I would appreciate any help or guidance with this! I've been reading the forum all over but can't seem to find a specific answer for this. Thanks in advance! :D

noajthan

Re: EEA2 RC / Questions for CSI and Economic Sufficiency

Post by noajthan » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:48 pm

Welcome.

:!: Note that a Spanish EHIC will only cover Spanish hubby - not you too.
And as an EHIC is deemed to be temporary cover, a 'letter of intent' declaring your 'short-term plan' to remain in UK will be required to accompany the submission of EHIC.

Get up to speed on qp here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _clean.pdf

and direct FMs here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _clean.pdf

Incidentally the merely confirmatory RC is optional (although indubitably useful).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:52 pm

VicenteRM wrote:My main doubts about my application are that if I get hired in January, will I still need to be covered by the CSI?
Yes.

The EEA Regulations is all about the EEA citizen exercising treaty rights, not their family members.

If the EEA citizen is not working or seeking work, s/he (being a student or a self-sufficient person) and his non-EEA family members resident with him must be covered by CSI (see Regulation 4(3)(b)).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

VicenteRM
Newly Registered

Post by VicenteRM » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:11 pm

noajthan wrote: :!: Note that a Spanish EHIC will only cover Spanish hubby - not you too.
And as an EHIC is deemed to be temporary cover, a 'letter of intent' declaring your 'short-term plan' to remain in UK will be required to accompany the submission of EHIC.

Incidentally the merely confirmatory RC is optional (although indubitably useful).
Thanks! But I have an EHIC issued under my name since I became a Spanish resident before coming to the UK. Now, of course, I will lose my residency in Spain after living six months here. Plus the fact that we hope to settle for at least 5 years, we are getting the CSI as well.

Now I know the RC is optional, but without it, I fear that if a want to switch to another job, or if I travel abroad I could get into trouble by not having any document that proofs my right to be here. Could I apply for a RC after my Family Permit ends? If that's the case, I could wait for a couple of months till I have my first payslips...

Thank you again!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:35 pm

VicenteRM wrote:
noajthan wrote: :!: Note that a Spanish EHIC will only cover Spanish hubby - not you too.

Thanks! But I have an EHIC issued under my name since I became a Spanish resident before coming to the UK. Now, of course, I will lose my residency in Spain after living six months here. Plus the fact that we hope to settle for at least 5 years, we are getting the CSI as well.

Now I know the RC is optional, but without it, I fear that if a want to switch to another job, or if I travel abroad I could get into trouble by not having any document that proofs my right to be here. Could I apply for a RC after my Family Permit ends? If that's the case, I could wait for a couple of months till I have my first payslips...

Thank you again!
In that case you just need to dig into the 'letter of intent' as EHICs are to be used by persons with no long term plan to settle. You have to show a plan to return 'home' and what ties you have there.

Yes, you will need to wait until you have adequate supporting evidence before applying for RC.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.