ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for PR - number and origin of passports

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Hristina_Iv
Newly Registered

Applying for PR - number and origin of passports

Post by Hristina_Iv » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:12 pm

Hi,

I hope I am writing in the correct section as I am new to the forum!
I am planning to soon apply for a PR (and subsequently a british passport) as I am meeting the requirements now, but I have a couple things I find not clear.
I have a Bulgarian passport (so, EEA route) since I've lived there most of my life before coming to England. But I also have a second passport, Russian, since I was born there. So, I also have a non-EEA passport. The Russian passport has expired and now I am trying to decide whether to invest in renewing it, so I add the info on the new, now valid passport in my application, or do I give up my Russian citizenship if it would compromise my application in any way.
So, my questions are:
1. Can I have Bulgarian (any EEA), Russian and UK citizenship?
2. Which route do I need to take to apply?
3. Would it make it less likely that I will be approved?
4. Due to Brexit etc., do you think it's a better idea to get things going now with the PR, or I can wait a few months and renew my Russian passport first?
5. Has anyone applied for PR via the EEA route with a European Identity Card? I know it is possible, but could it compromise the application in some way? I want to be free to travel in and out of the Europe during my application. Will I also have to send both passports in my application?

Thanks you so much in advance!

Confused Hristina

noajthan

Re: Applying for PR - number and origin of passports

Post by noajthan » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:43 pm

Welcome.

PR is not ILR. Moved to correct forum.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:44 pm

This is in the wrong section but hopefully a mod will move it soon.

First things first, you cannot apply for a British passport until you are a British citizen.

UK permits multiple citizenship almost unconditionally. Bulgaria appears to accept this also. I'm not sure about Russian nationality law; you will need to check that.

Assuming you are on EEA migration route and have acquired PR, simply apply for DCPR and then citizenship (once eligible).

Would what make it less likely? The Home Office does not discriminate between which route anyone has taken to settlement. The only difference is the cost (to you).

4. Due to Brexit etc., do you think it's a better idea to get things going now with the PR, or I can wait a few months and renew my Russian passport first?

No need to wait if you have acquired PR.

5. Has anyone applied for PR via the EEA route with a European Identity Card? I know it is possible, but could it compromise the application in some way? I want to be free to travel in and out of the Europe during my application. Will I also have to send both passports in my application?

I'm sure plenty of people have. There's no need to send Russian passport with DCPR application.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:48 pm

Hristina_Iv wrote:Hi,

I hope I am writing in the correct section as I am new to the forum!
I am planning to soon apply for a PR (and subsequently a british passport) as I am meeting the requirements now, but I have a couple things I find not clear.
I have a Bulgarian passport (so, EEA route) since I've lived there most of my life before coming to England. But I also have a second passport, Russian, since I was born there. So, I also have a non-EEA passport. The Russian passport has expired and now I am trying to decide whether to invest in renewing it, so I add the info on the new, now valid passport in my application, or do I give up my Russian citizenship if it would compromise my application in any way.
So, my questions are:

Thanks you so much in advance!

Confused Hristina
1) UK permits 'dual' (ie multi-)nationality. I have no idea if your other countries do.

2) In UK: DCPR then naturalisation then finally the holy grail of British passport.

3) No impact

4) Russian passport has no connection with confirmation of PR or life in UK or naturalisation in UK.

5) Many good people.
No compromise - why would it? after all its a valid option under EU law.

Or use the UK's passport checking service for EEA nationals and keep your passport. How cool is that.

Really, there is no reason to be confused at all.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.