ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Deed Poll & Joint Citizenship and Passport Service

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jjm07

Deed Poll & Joint Citizenship and Passport Service

Post by jjm07 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:51 pm

I changed my name via Deed Poll almost 5 years ago in the UK.

My country of origin does not allow name changes, unless very specific cases. I won't be able to get a document from the embassy here, they're not good at all.

I am going to apply to naturalisation and first passport at the same time (Joint Citizenship & Passport Service).

If I understand correctly:
A) I have to apply for naturalisation using my 'country of origin' name
B) I can apply to my first UK passport using my 'UK' name, if I provide the following documents:
  • 1. I will provide the deed poll signed 5 years ago
  • 2. I will provide other evidence that I have been using my UK name in the last 5 years such as bank statements, employment letters, proof of address
Is A) and B) the right way to do this?
Are documents 1. and 2. enough for my passport to be issued in my 'UK' name?

I am very confused, your advice would be very welcome.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Deed Poll & Joint Citizenship and Passport Service

Post by CR001 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:15 pm

If I understand correctly:
A) I have to apply for naturalisation using my 'country of origin' name Correct
B) I can apply to my first UK passport using my 'UK' name, if I provide the following documents: You might struggle with this. HO and HMPO unlikely to issue documents in different names to your foreign passport due to their stance on multiple identities.

1. I will provide the deed poll signed 5 years ago

2. I will provide other evidence that I have been using my UK name in the last 5 years such as bank statements, employment letters, proof of address

Is A) and B) the right way to do this?
Are documents 1. and 2. enough for my passport to be issued in my 'UK' name?

You should apply for the whole process in your original name. Once you have BC passport, then apply for a new passport in your new name.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jjm07

Post by jjm07 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:42 pm

CR001 wrote: You should apply for the whole process in your original name. Once you have BC passport, then apply for a new passport in your new name.
Would that definitely work? Surely they will have a record of my foreign passport name somewhere?

Raff113
Poland

Post by Raff113 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:06 am

HMPO will almost certainly not issue you new passport with name that is different from the name on your current passport. Deed poll certificate and your bills will not be enoungh, they want to see your current passport with your new name on it.

jjm07

Post by jjm07 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:20 am

Are you aware of the new policy from August 2016 though? http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 16754.html

Raff113
Poland

Post by Raff113 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:28 am

Jujumar87 wrote:Are you aware of the new policy from August 2016 though? http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 16754.html
No I did not know that, please excuse my ignorance!

jjm07

Post by jjm07 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:30 am

Just wondering whether CR001 solution would definitely work? Would applying for my 1st passport in my old name and then sending a deed poll an reapply for a passport in my new name be 100% possible?

If that is the case it would be less complicated than providing additional evidence as per the new regulations, hence my question.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:00 am

A very long thread below about passport and name changes if you want to have a read.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 83170.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.