ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

After EEA 5yrs Family permit, next?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Nicola UK
Newly Registered

Post by Nicola UK » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:53 pm

Hi
Need some advices here. thanks

I have been in the UK since 2008, studied first and got post student visa for 2 years and currently I have EEA family permit, from Jan 2013 to Jan 2018,and thinking what next after my visa expired.

I am thinking to apply British Citizenship but some people said I need to apply Permanent residence card (PR) first. In addition, there is another form called EEA (FM). I am really confused which one I can apply and when I should start to apply to?

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: After EEA 5yrs Family permit, next?

Post by ohara » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:00 pm

EEA family permit is an entry clearance and only lasts 6 months.

Are you sure you don't actually have an EEA residence card (as a non-EEA family member of an EEA national)?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:03 pm

You need formal confirmation that you have acquired PR before you can apply for British citizenship

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... orm-eea-pr

Edit: Beaten by ohara
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:34 pm

Nicola UK wrote:Hi
Need some advices here. thanks

I have been in the UK since 2008, studied first and got post student visa for 2 years and currently I have EEA family permit, from Jan 2013 to Jan 2018,and thinking what next after my visa expired.

I am thinking to apply British Citizenship but some people said I need to apply Permanent residence card (PR) first. In addition, there is another form called EEA (FM). I am really confused which one I can apply and when I should start to apply to?
Welcome.

A FP is a 6 month card for entry into UK.
You are likely to have a RC, dated for 5 years. It is not a visa, as yoiu are on EU migration route you need to drop the 'visa' mindset.

To shoot for naturalisation you need to tackle confirmation of PR status first.
Form EEA(PR).

Good luck.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Nicola UK
Newly Registered

Post by Nicola UK » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:21 pm

Hi guys

Thank you for all the response.

My mistake for the visa. Sorry.
The correct document I have is: RESIDENCE CARD OF A FAMILY MEMBER OF AN EEA NATIONAL.
From 29/Jan/2013 - to 29/Jan/2018
Worth mentioning that I am non-EEA.

So my next step is EEA (PR) first but when I can start to apply? Thanks again!
Last edited by Nicola UK on Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:26 pm

Nicola UK wrote:Hi guys

Thank you for all the response.

My mistake for the visa. Sorry.
The correct document I have is: RESIDENCE CARD OF A FAMILY MEMBER OF AN EEA NATIONAL.
From 29/Jan/2013 - to 29/Jan/2018

So my next step is EEA (PR) first but when I can start to apply? Thanks again!
When did you become dependent on your sponsor?
Count 5 years from that date.

Nicola UK
Newly Registered

Post by Nicola UK » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:52 pm

Hello there,

Thanks for response.
I married my sponsor on July 2012, got my EEA FP (from Aug/2012 - Feb/2013) and entered to the UK on Sep/2012. After I have my EEA 5yrs family permit (from Jan/2013 - Jan/2018).

So if count from 5 yrs period of time, the earliest time I can apply EEA(PR) is Aug/2017? Advice?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:33 pm

Nicola UK wrote:Hello there,

Thanks for response.
I married my sponsor on July 2012, got my EEA FP (from Aug/2012 - Feb/2013) and entered to the UK on Sep/2012. After I have my EEA 5yrs family permit (from Jan/2013 - Jan/2018).

So if count from 5 yrs period of time, the earliest time I can apply EEA(PR) is Aug/2017? Advice?
Not quite.
Count 5 years from date you entered UK (as a dependent of your sponsor).
So you may acquire PR by September 2017.

Nicola UK
Newly Registered

Post by Nicola UK » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:37 pm

Thanks, now I am much clear!
Just another question, I also found 'indefinite leave to remain' in the UKBA website.
Is it something related to my case too? What's the difference between indefinite leave to remain and EEA (PR)?
Thanks again!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:51 pm

Nicola UK wrote:Thanks, now I am much clear!
Just another question, I also found 'indefinite leave to remain' in the UKBA website.
Is it something related to my case too? What's the difference between indefinite leave to remain and EEA (PR)?
Thanks again!
Indefinite Leave to Remain is issued under the UK Immigration Rules and doesn't apply to your situation. You are resident in the UK under EEA Regulations and will qualify for Permanent Residence (PR).

Two distinctly different routes to settlement.

By the way the UKBA was disbanded in March 2013 due to being unfit for purpose and superseded by the UKVI.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:31 am

The difference between PR and ILR is about £1875. Thankfully you're on the EEA migration route so you acquire automatically the much easier and cheaper (free) PR after 5 years. ILR is reserved for those on the much more expensive UK immigration route, and in some cases takes 10 (or more years) to qualify for.

Highly unlikely you found anything on the UKBA website unless you've been browsing through the government archives, as it hasn't existed for years :wink:

By the way, get the word visa out of your head. On the EEA migration route you do not have or need one :)

Nicola UK
Newly Registered

Post by Nicola UK » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:03 pm

Hi guys

Much appreciate all the response and I am much much clear what I can do next.
Cannot believe that my knowledge about UKBA / UKVI is so out of date!...Sorry!

Good luck to all the applications!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:20 pm

Nicola UK wrote:Hi guys

Much appreciate all the response and I am much much clear what I can do next.
Cannot believe that my knowledge about UKBA / UKVI is so out of date!...Sorry!

Good luck to all the applications!
Don't worry...after more than 3 years the Home Office are still sending out letters with the unchanged template as UKBA. :!:
(Casa, not CR001)

Nicola UK
Newly Registered

EEA PR online application copies or originals

Post by Nicola UK » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:28 am

Hello guys,
I have just finished to complete the EEA PR form from their new online service.
Now is asking me for the relevant documentation before paying the 65 £ fee.
It's asking for the 2 photos signed, the passport or national card which of course needs to be original.
For all other documents like employment contracts in some cases the employer only sent me a digital copy which I digitally signed so does this count as "original".
I basically have a mix of "original" and non original documents for each year to proof my employment and residence.
Will this be a problem?

Also will I receive all my documents back once approved?

The scariest part is that at the end of the form is suggesting that the application will take 6 months to be processed......

noajthan

Re: EEA PR online application copies or originals

Post by noajthan » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:31 pm

Nicola UK wrote:Hello guys,
I have just finished to complete the EEA PR form from their new online service.
Now is asking me for the relevant documentation before paying the 65 £ fee.
It's asking for the 2 photos signed, the passport or national card which of course needs to be original.
For all other documents like employment contracts in some cases the employer only sent me a digital copy which I digitally signed so does this count as "original".
I basically have a mix of "original" and non original documents for each year to proof my employment and residence.
Will this be a problem?

Also will I receive all my documents back once approved?

The scariest part is that at the end of the form is suggesting that the application will take 6 months to be processed......
As per PR guidance:
Unless otherwise stated, please send original documents only. Photocopies are not acceptable. If you’re unable to send the original, please explain why. We’re unlikely to be able to approve your application without sight of the original document.

If you receive bank statements in online/electronic format only, ask your bank to stamp each page with their official stamp.

If you wish to send any documents that are not in English or Welsh, you must get the document translated by a qualified professional translator. Ask the translator or translation company to confirm in writing on the translation
Turnaround times are mandated by EU law.
HO sometimes struggles to meet them. No doubt there's currently a double whammy of Brexit rush and Christmas slowdown.

If an EEA applicant you could enjoy the council checking service and keep hold of your originals. Check it out.
Otherwise you do get your docs back, eventually.

:idea: Pro tip: keep scans/copies of all documents and forms submitted to HO. For ever.

Nicola UK
Newly Registered

Post by Nicola UK » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:45 pm

Hi Need help here.
There is no clear way to know what I am going to apply after my EEA 5yrs family permit?

My husband is EEA and currently also hold UK PR. I have RESIDENCE CARD OF A FAMILY MEMBER OF AN EEA NATIONAL. From 29/Jan/2013 - to 29/Jan/2018 Worth mentioning that I am non-EEA.

What should I apply now and when I can start to apply? Thank you in advance

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:42 am

Nicola UK wrote:Hi Need help here.
There is no clear way to know what I am going to apply after my EEA 5yrs family permit?

My husband is EEA and currently also hold UK PR. I have RESIDENCE CARD OF A FAMILY MEMBER OF AN EEA NATIONAL. From 29/Jan/2013 - to 29/Jan/2018 Worth mentioning that I am non-EEA.

What should I apply now and when I can start to apply? Thank you in advance
Permanent residency under EU rules (not ILR), just like your husband.

Nicola UK
Newly Registered

Post by Nicola UK » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:39 pm

Hello
Thank you for the response.
is this the form I need to use: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... orm-eea-pr

When I can start to apply? Thank you

Also I noticed there is another form called: 'apply to settle in the UK" https://www.gov.uk/settle-in-the-uk is it something I can apply too?

thank you

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:07 am

Nicola UK wrote:Hello
Thank you for the response.
is this the form I need to use: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... orm-eea-pr

When I can start to apply? Thank you
When you complete 5 years in the UK.
Nicola UK wrote:Also I noticed there is another form called: 'apply to settle in the UK" https://www.gov.uk/settle-in-the-uk is it something I can apply too?

thank you
No. They would refuse and it would be a waste of money and time.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:10 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

azdjani2012
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by azdjani2012 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:16 pm

Hey every one can u plz help i asked this question on other post but no clear answer.

i am married to EU National Marriage date 19/07/2012.

Issued 5 year RC issued Dec/2012 Expire Dec/2017

both are working and living together since and have got proof of work, bill, etc.

i am living in the UK since 2010 b4 student till i got RC.

my question is she moved here in uk in June 2012, and since then she is full time working, her 5 years complete end of June/2017, and my 5 years marriage period will complete 19 July 2017, we are both thinking to apply together online, is it possible she can put me as member in her application end of June, or i have to wait till 19 July 2017. i heard u can apply 28 days b4 but now sure.

Thanks