ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizenship for EU kids born abroad

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

CityKat
Newly Registered

British citizenship for EU kids born abroad

Post by CityKat » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:29 pm

Hi, I'm an EU citizen living in the uk for the last 16 years. I have a 2 year old and will give birth in March to my 2nd child. For both children have chosen to give birth in my original country (Belgium) which means my kids are not automatically British. What is the best/easiest way for them to become British?

I was thinking of applying for the certified document of permanent resident for myself, then applying for British citizenship via naturalization... can my kids be registered as British citizen then while I'm applying for naturalization? even if born abroad?

The form MN1 the home office told me to fill for my kids (at the same time as my naturalization application) asks "Please say which parent is the one who is a British citizen by descent and on whom this
application is based." which is not my case since I'm being naturalized (?) (Father is NA as its a donor)

I hope my question is not too confusing. Thanks for your help

pentaya
India

Re: British citizenship for EU kids born abroad

Post by pentaya » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:40 pm

If you get PR, Your kids get BC automatically as for as I am aware of. I would also wait for expert moderators advice

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:14 pm

pentaya wrote:If you get PR, Your kids get BC automatically as for as I am aware of. I would also wait for expert moderators advice
Only if they were born in the UK after you had acquired PR.

Your current children may register, subject to discretion under 3(1). Read the Caseworker's guidance to see their expectations.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:24 pm

pentaya wrote:If you get PR, Your kids get BC automatically as for as I am aware of. I would also wait for expert moderators advice
OP already recognises that children born abroad (to non-BC) are not automatically British.
This is a section 3(1) case sure as eggs is eggs.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:58 pm

noajthan wrote:eggs is eggs.
Sorry to be off-topic. I'm still wondering, which came before: the chicken or the egg?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:40 am

vinny wrote:
noajthan wrote:eggs is eggs.
Sorry to be off-topic. I'm still wondering, which came before: the chicken or the egg?
Most of us wonder about this one vinny :lol:
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.