ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question: time frame between approval & ceremony arrangement

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

MrsT
Mood:
United Kingdom

Question: time frame between approval & ceremony arrangement

Post by MrsT » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:47 pm

Hello all,

I am asking for my sister as I have already arranged my citizenship ceremony.
My sister is waiting for her approval letter, and obviously we hope that it will arrive very soon.

Current events of postal delays due to Christmas and potential strikes made me wonder though: you have 21 days from the date on your invitation letter to arrange your ceremony - my letter for example was dated 30/11 and arrived on 09/12. What happens if you exceed those 21 days assuming it is not your fault (e.g. due to postal delays etc.) ?

Once more, thanks for your help!

Kind regards,

MrsT
UK residence: 2006 - PR: 2011 - PRC: 2016 - Approval: 2016 - Ceremony: 2017 - UK Spouse

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Question: time frame between approval & ceremony arrange

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:53 pm

MrsT wrote:Hello all,

I am asking for my sister as I have already arranged my citizenship ceremony.
My sister is waiting for her approval letter, and obviously we hope that it will arrive very soon.

Current events of postal delays due to Christmas and potential strikes made me wonder though: you have 21 days from the date on your invitation letter to arrange your ceremony - my letter for example was dated 30/11 and arrived on 09/12. What happens if you exceed those 21 days assuming it is not your fault (e.g. due to postal delays etc.) ?

Once more, thanks for your help!

Kind regards,

MrsT
Assuming these are work days?
I think the main thing to bear in mind, per AN Guide:
"You must make immediate contact with the local authority, as you only have 90 days
in which to attend the ceremony. The date by which you must attend your ceremony
will be given in your Home Office citizenship ceremony invitation letter. If you do not
attend the ceremony within 90 days without good reason, your application for
citizenship will be refused and you will need to re-apply"
[EDIT] the 21 days are part of your 90 days so there should be plenty of time, I think.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:53 pm

alterhase58 wrote:Assuming these are work days?
No, it is 21 days or 90 days, ALL days and not 'work days'.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

MrsT
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MrsT » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:00 am

Hi, thanks for your replies. Surely there must be some kind of exception in place to avoid penalisation of the applicant if the delay is not their fault?
UK residence: 2006 - PR: 2011 - PRC: 2016 - Approval: 2016 - Ceremony: 2017 - UK Spouse

pentaya
India

Post by pentaya » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:52 pm

MrsT wrote:Hi, thanks for your replies. Surely there must be some kind of exception in place to avoid penalisation of the applicant if the delay is not their fault?
There is no penalisation. Call the HO and ask if they can help. Generally, It is a second class delivery and HO is very pathetic in spending monies on postal :(

sergeyp
Newly Registered

Post by sergeyp » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:26 pm

So how long does it usually take to get an invitation to the ceremony after receiving the approval letter?
it's been a week and still no letter from the council. their website allows to book it but it says my reference number is not found.
Sent an email them - no reply, probably they all gone for Christmas already :(

MrsT
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MrsT » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:37 pm

sergeyp wrote:So how long does it usually take to get an invitation to the ceremony after receiving the approval letter?
it's been a week and still no letter from the council. their website allows to book it but it says my reference number is not found.
Hello,

unfortunately I can't give you information on this, because my approval letter from the HO instructed me to get in touch with the Council myself, rather than wait for an invitation.

pentaya
India

Post by pentaya » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:53 pm

sergeyp wrote:So how long does it usually take to get an invitation to the ceremony after receiving the approval letter?
I recommend you to call the ceremony team and find out about the next ceremony.