ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Ask the education study years calculation

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

immigrationboards
Newly Registered

Ask the education study years calculation

Post by immigrationboards » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:48 am

1) If I finish my secondary school education in UK,
and I studied from Secondary 1 to Secondary 7,
how many years I studied in Secondary school in the definition of CIC? 6 years or 7 years?

2) If my bachelor degrees with honours included one year full-time
placement in private sector, and it mentioned into my bachelor degrees
certificates, so that my total years of study is 4 years, how many years
I studied in University in the definition of CIC? 3 years or 4 years?

3) If my master degree is part-time distance learning mode but I need to
come back to university several times in one subject, and I studied
2.5 years mode, and my university's full-time master course usally
spend 1 year, how many years I studied in the definition of CIC?

Thank you

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:24 pm

It's a bit of a judgment call. I might be wrong, but this is my best guess:

1) 7 years of studying (assuming you attended the full year for each grade level)

2) 4 years of studying (the Bachelors degree is a 4-year degree)

3) 1 year (the Masters is usually a 1 year program, from the info you posted)

However, an on-line course may not be recognized, so you might not be able to claim 3). The institution that issued the Masters needs to be credible and properly registered.

For example, I "studied" for "nine" years to get my Bachelors'. I changed school and majors several times, I dropped out and worked several times, sometimes I worked part-time and studied simultaneously.

In the end I graduated with 148 credit hours, even though the core of my degree only required 122 credit hours. The extra 26 credit hours would equate to almost a full extra year, but they really ended up counting as electives because they were not required for my final degree. Many had been required under different degrees I had been in previously.

I think it is obvious that I could not claim 9 years and reasonably expect them to swallow that.

But, it was a 4-year degree program, so that's what I would claim and be able to credibly defend. Even if I tried to claim five years of studying, it was not "officially" part of the degree I obtained.

Maybe I could defend five years, but I'd hate to put it down and be rejected for falsifying the application. The application could be rejected without me ever getting a chance to defend myself, and my defense might still be rejected even if I did get a chance.

Technically, I might even claim 6 years of university studies, based upon my credit hours. I have taken an additional 30 credit hours of undergraduate and graduate courses since obtaining my degree.

Further, when I changed schools, about 20 credit hours were not transferred, so if I parse out the years by credit hours taken (198 total, about 20 of which were graduate level courses), I could divide by 16 (a rather full semester course load) and get 12 semesters minimum and therefore 6 years minimum.

If I really wanted to play the numbers game, I could try to stretch it out (divide by 14 credit hours) and count the graduate courses at 12 credit hours per semester and try to claim 7 or even 8 years.

I have not even tried to list the two to three years of graduate-level research I performed in Universities, which could conceivably be listed as internships. Rather, I would list those positions specifically as work experience.

However, I only have one 4-year degree to show for it.

This is my attempt to logically figure it out, and I always estimate conservatively to put me into a position of strength should I be challenged.

the Admin

kg1983

Post by kg1983 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:08 pm

Similar question:

I did my primary/secondary education in Pakistan but I dont have any report/assessment cards etc. I did A-level in UK and then a degree in UK. So how do I prove I studied x number of years?