ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British national second wife?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

OmarAshraf
Newly Registered

British national second wife?

Post by OmarAshraf » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:47 pm

Hi

I am from Saudi Arabia. I am married to my wife for five years in Saudi Arabia. Recently I have got into very good relationship with a British national Saudi Arabian lady and we are planning to get married.
I would like to know what if that lady comes to Saudi Arabia and we get married here, will she be able to apply for family visa for me from the UK?
I would also like to know in future, would that be possible to have both wives in the UK under any circumstances?

I would like to inform you that my wife fully supports this marriage.

Thank you and waiting for your guidance

Best Regards

cosak
United Kingdom

Re: British national second wife?

Post by cosak » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:00 am

polygamy is not permitted in the UK, it's in fact an offence and can lead to prison sentence if found.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:15 am

There are two separate questions here.

Can a British citizen marrying you in Saudi Arabia sponsor you as a spouse in the UK?
Can you in turn sponsor your first wife to the UK?

My understanding is that neither situation is possible.

For a foreign polygamous marriage to be recognised in English law, neither party must be domiciled in England and Wales. As the British citizen would most likely be domiciled in England or Wales, her participation in a polygamous marriage would not be recognised in UK immigration law. Therefore, she can not sponsor you to come and live with her in the UK.

Assuming that she is not domiciled in England and Wales, the marriage will be recognised, but only one spouse (typically the first wife to enter the UK, not the first one to marry) of such marriage is allowed into the UK. As your British wife will be the first spouse to enter the UK, your other wife will not be allowed to come to the UK.

Casa is our resident expert on matters touching on such matter. I would wait to hear from Casa before progressing this query further.

Further reading
Marriage; specifically see Sections 2 & 8
Polygamy
IMMIGRATION DIRECTORATES' INSTRUCTIONS: POLYGAMOUS AND POTENTIALLY POLYGAMOUS MARRIAGES
Domicile
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:53 am

Unfortunately UK doesn't allow more than one wives in contrary to Arab and Asian countries where it is acceptable. Your second wedding will be considered invalid in the eyes of HO which usually one of the biggest requirement to positively fulfill along with other requirements (financial, maintenance, subsisting relationship, accomodation etc).
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:40 am

I agree with the advice given. It's immaterial whether the first wife agrees to you marrying another woman.

Any marriage that takes place while you are still married will not be considered as valid for UK immigration purposes.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

OmarAshraf
Newly Registered

Post by OmarAshraf » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:53 am

Thank you so much for the replies.
Really appreciated.