ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship for my wife

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tripas33
India

British Citizenship for my wife

Post by tripas33 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:46 pm

Dear Friends,

Me and my wife are now married for more than a year. I was on ILR when I got married in 2015. She was granted a dependent visa for 3 year (till 2018) and she is with me in UK from November 2015. I got naturalised as a British citizen in October 2016.
I want to know what will be the best path to follow for my wife to become a British citizen also ??
I am trying to find if she can become a British citizen before 2018 so there is no need to renew her visa.
We have a baby who is also a British Citizen by birth.

It would be of great help if you share your experience and guide in the right direction.

Thanks
Tripas
Reg,
Tripas

vinny

Re: British Citizenship for my wife

Post by vinny » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:12 am

Unfortunately, she requires ILR prior to her citizenship application. Didn't they grant her a 33-month spouse visa?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

tripas33
India

Post by tripas33 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:58 am

Yes she has a 33 months spouse visa.
Since I am British citizen now isn't there any way she becomes a British citizen without applying for ILR ?

thanks
Reg,
Tripas

KatieWills
Wales

Post by KatieWills » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:34 am

No, wife will need 5 years on spouse visa before she can apply for ILR. Once she has ILR she can apply for citizenship. The only advantage she has by being married to a British citizen is that she doesn't need to hold ILR for 12 months before being eligible to apply for citizenship.
Be humble for you are made of earth, be noble for you are made of stars.

tripas33
India

Post by tripas33 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:37 pm

Hmm..That's disappointing :(
So basically she would need a 2 year extension visa and then a ILR visa.

Can you tell me if we decide to return back to India for couple of years and if her 33 months visa expires in India , what she needs to do if she wants to come back to UK and settle here ?

Thanks,
Reg,
Tripas

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:56 pm

tripas33 wrote:Hmm..That's disappointing :(
So basically she would need a 2 year extension visa and then a ILR visa.

Can you tell me if we decide to return back to India for couple of years and if her 33 months visa expires in India , what she needs to do if she wants to come back to UK and settle here ?

Thanks,
Her FLR(M) extension will be for 2.5 years.

If you are absent from the UK for a considerable amount of time and her FLR(M) visa expires, your wife's immigration clock will be reset to zero and she will have to apply for a new spouse settlement visa.

Even ILR is lost if the absence is more than 2 years.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:57 pm

tripas33 wrote:Hmm..That's disappointing :(
So basically she would need a 2 year extension visa and then a ILR visa. It is a 2.5 year visa extension. You have to pay whatever the visa fee is at that time PLUS the £500 immigration health surcharge.

Can you tell me if we decide to return back to India for couple of years and if her 33 months visa expires in India , what she needs to do if she wants to come back to UK and settle here ? Apply for a spouse visa again and start again from scratch with a new 5 year residence period before qualifying for ILR.

Thanks,
Edit : Beaten by @ Casa :wink:
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

tripas33
India

Post by tripas33 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:06 pm

Thanks Guys for replying to my queries :)

Regards,
Reg,
Tripas