ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling After Citizenship Ceremony

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Indianlonly

Re: Travelling After Citizenship Ceremony

Post by Indianlonly » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:55 pm

I'm same situation but I got permanent residence card and I booked my flight before the cermony , is there problem when I come back ?

ubiquitous

Post by ubiquitous » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:37 pm

Indianlonly wrote:I'm same situation but I got permanent residence card and I booked my flight before the cermony , is there problem when I come back ?
You're not officially British until you attend the ceremony, so if you travel BEFORE the ceremony, you will be treated in the same way as you were previously, so I assume this would be fine, but I guess it depends on your individual circumstance. This thread was about travelling AFTER the ceremony, but before receiving the British passport.

juniorcares
Newly Registered

Post by juniorcares » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:57 pm

Hi Guys,

I am In the same position but I have a permanent residence on my passport. I have attended my ceremony just before Christmas and I want to travel asap. Is this going to be a problem? I know I do not have to send my passport because I got a permanent residence but will it get cancelled automatically?

ubiquitous

Post by ubiquitous » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:15 pm

juniorcares wrote:Hi Guys,

I am In the same position but I have a permanent residence on my passport. I have attended my ceremony just before Christmas and I want to travel asap. Is this going to be a problem? I know I do not have to send my passport because I got a permanent residence but will it get cancelled automatically?
Not exactly sure what you mean there. To apply for a British passport, you DO need to send your foreign passport(s) to the Passport Office, and that's what the issue is for many people. If they want to apply for a British passport, they are unable to travel for the many weeks until their British passport arrives because they don't have their foreign passport during this time.

You are not supposed to enter the UK with a foreign passport once you have a British passport, but actually I did it 3 times this year as I had unavoidable travel plans and there was no period of time where I could be sure that I would get my passport in time for the travel, so I waited to apply for my British passport and instead traveled on my Australian passport. It actually wasn't a big problem and when I explained my situation, the Border Control staff asked a few questions, saw my Certificate of Naturalisation and waived me through with my Australian passport. They said I should apply for my British passport ASAP though, so I'm sure if I kept doing it for too long they would start to have a different attitude about it.

So I can't say for sure that you will have no problems entering the UK on a foreign passport once you get your Certificate of Naturalisation, but it was fine for me. Perhaps they look at each nationality differently and Australians are lower risk.

Indianlonly

Post by Indianlonly » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:53 pm

I know I'm not British yet but I'm asking if I travel to India with my permanent card as I usually do , or my PR is cancelled now ?

ubiquitous

Post by ubiquitous » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:13 am

Indianlonly wrote:I know I'm not British yet but I'm asking if I travel to India with my permanent card as I usually do , or my PR is cancelled now ?
I still don't understand your question. When you say "permanent card", do you mean your biometric residence permit? If you're not yet British, you can continue to enter the UK with it, but you need your Indian passport too obviously. Nothing changes with your travel status while you're waiting for naturalisation approval. It's only once you get the approval and attend the citizenship ceremony that your biometric residence permit becomes void.

You seem to be posting in the wrong thread, this is about travelling AFTER gaining citizenship, not before.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:07 pm

Indianlonly wrote:I know I'm not British yet but I'm asking if I travel to India with my permanent card as I usually do , or my PR is cancelled now ?
You have PR card under the EU/EEA route. It does not get 'cancelled'. It the BRP ILR card under the UK immigration rules that becomes void and the card has to be returned to HO.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.