ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Betting Married to British Citizen - naturalisation Question

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

szakir_786
Newly Registered

Betting Married to British Citizen - naturalisation Question

Post by szakir_786 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:00 pm

Hi, I came to UK with my family on a dependent visa where my mum was the main applicant and had been granted student visa before coming to UK. Now I have lived in UK for more than 5 years and I am above 18 too. Currently I am now about to get married to a British Citizen. All I wanted to know is that can I apply for naturalisation after three years or do I need to wait for another five years to apply for it ?

vinny

Re: ILR to naturalisation

Post by vinny » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:45 pm

Before your leave expires, after marriage, you should switch to leave as the spouse of a British/settled person, etc.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

szakir_786
Newly Registered

Post by szakir_786 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:51 am

Hi Vinny,

Thanks for replying back but I am still confused by your answer. I really didn't get what did you meant by , "after marriage, you should switch to leave as the spouse of a British/settled person, etc". what does switch to leave as the spouse mean ? secondly can I get naturalisation after three years or not ?

Thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:56 am

Once you marry, you will have to apply for a FLR(M) spouse visa. This will set you on new 5 year path to permanent settlement (ILR).

As soon as you are granted ILR at the end of the 5 year period you will be able to apply immediately for British citizenship, assuming you meet the standard requirements.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -form-flrm

How long have you been living in the UK as all valid leave can be accumulated for ILR under 10 year long residence? ILR is required before you can apply for BC even if you have a British spouse.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

noajthan

Re: Betting Married to British Citizen - naturalisation Ques

Post by noajthan » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:59 am

There is no 3 year route to ILR or to the privilege of citizenship.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:04 am

szakir_786 wrote:Hi Vinny,

Thanks for replying back but I am still confused by your answer. I really didn't get what did you meant by , "after marriage, you should switch to leave as the spouse of a British/settled person, etc". what does switch to leave as the spouse mean ? secondly can I get naturalisation after three years or not ?

Thanks
There are virtually no paths to citizenship in 3 years (other than accelerated ILR through Tier 1) as settlement takes a minimum of 5 years.