ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Days of absence from the UK for EEA citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Nutmeg
Newly Registered

Days of absence from the UK for EEA citizen

Post by Nutmeg » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:07 pm

Hi all,

I have a question regarding absences from the UK.

I am an Italian citizen, and I have lived in the UK since 2010. Last January I successfully applied for a PR card, and this January I am planning to apply for naturalisation.

Since I am an EEA citizen, my passport doesn't get stamped when I leave the country. When I applied for the PR card, I guessed the days of certain absences, since I didn't remember them, although overall they were far below the limit.

Now I don't remember what exact days I put in the PR application, could it be a problem if certain dates are slightly different? For example last year I stated I left the country on the 14th of December 2014 and this year I say I left it on the 16th.

Thanks in advance for the answers!

MrsGreenside

Re: Days of absence from the UK for EEA citizen

Post by MrsGreenside » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:31 pm

Add the one you remember and add a note stating that you do not remember exactly. You could also request your personal data from the UK Visas and Immigration with regards to absences. However, be advised that they cost money, take time and may also be incomplete.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... mmigration

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:53 pm

Always keep copies of all forms submitted to HO. For ever!
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:28 pm

noajthan wrote:Always keep copies of all forms submitted to HO. For ever!
Good advice. Always keep scanned copies of all your applications so that you can maintain consistency between the applications. Remember that the Home Office can interpret inconsistencies as an attempt at deception.

Also remember that naturalisation is a grant, not automatic like PR and can be refused for deception. You also stand to lose a higher amount of money.
MrsGreenside wrote:You could also request your personal data from the UK Visas and Immigration with regards to absences. However, be advised that they cost money, take time and may also be incomplete.
The SAR request linked to costs only £10 for all the information that the Home Office holds on you and is unlikely to break the bank. That should also give you a copy of the PR application form you had submitted, so that you can maintain consistency.

On a separate point, remember that the absence requirements for PR and naturalisation are separate and differently calculated. Keep an eye out for the requirement that you must have been physically present in the UK at the start of the five years period immediately preceding the date of application for naturalisation.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:27 pm

Bear in mind that an SAR may not reveal much (if any) of your travel as you are an EEA citizen.

I did one last year and the Home Office had NO record of my travel despite having been out of the country on numerous occasions. Also remember that the UK did not routinely conduct exit checks until last year either.