ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation Process Times Based on Nationality?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

fafs
Newly Registered

Naturalisation Process Times Based on Nationality?

Post by fafs » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:08 pm

HI All,
Just registered today and it's my first post! So was hoping if you can shed light on my question...

When applying for BC, does the home nationality affect the British Naturalisation process?

Also, more particularly, does anyone have any experience with an American applying for British Citizenship? I've read many threads, but could not find any...

Cheers,

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Naturalisation Process Times Based on Nationality?

Post by Casa » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:24 pm

fafs wrote:HI All,
Just registered today and it's my first post! So was hoping if you can shed light on my question...

When applying for BC, does the home nationality affect the British Naturalisation process?

Also, more particularly, does anyone have any experience with an American applying for British Citizenship? I've read many threads, but could not find any...

Cheers,
No reflection on the naturalisation process according to the home nationality.

Why would you think that American nationals will be treated any differently?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

fafs
Newly Registered

Post by fafs » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:59 pm

That's good to know it has no bearing, officially anyway.

I have heard there are more checks leading to longer processing time for nationals of certain countries.

Finally, perhaps of the "special relationship" the UK and USA share :)

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:10 pm

fafs wrote:That's good to know it has no bearing, officially anyway.

I have heard there are more checks leading to longer processing time for nationals of certain countries.
Finally, perhaps of the "special relationship" the UK and USA share :)

Thanks for your prompt reply.
If the rules are met, British citizenship is granted. No r_acial or religious discrimination and no 'special' favours. Simples :!:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

fafs
Newly Registered

Post by fafs » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:15 pm

I've observed through the processing times threads that the recent average process time is about 2 months.

That's pretty good considering the 6 months they advise.

Is anyone aware of any cyclical/seasonal delays?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:54 pm

fafs wrote:I've observed through the processing times threads that the recent average process time is about 2 months.

That's pretty good considering the 6 months they advise.

Is anyone aware of any cyclical/seasonal delays?
Some members have been waiting since mid 2014 and mid 2015 for a result of their applications.

December seems to slow down due to the holiday season.

June to August tends to slow down due to the summer holiday season.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:13 pm

I'd take an educated guess that there will have been an influx of BC applications from EU citizens resident in the UK, concerned about Brexit :idea:

And thanks to CR001 for the slight adjustment made to my post to compensate for the Board's word censor. :wink:
(Casa, not CR001)

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:56 am

Unfortunately HO do not provide a detailed breakdown of processing time per nationality in their statistics, however you are welcome to look through the timeline threads.

If you are interested, in 2015 there were approximately 85,000 grants of British citizenship by naturalisation and only 2,908 of them were to Americans.

fafs
Newly Registered

Post by fafs » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:49 am

[quote][/quote]

Thanks, ohara!

Nearly 3000 Americans getting their UK Citizenship in 2015! I wouldn't have imagined a number anywhere close to that ! I would have guessed somewhere in the 100's.

I also wonder how many of those kept dual nationality??

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:06 am

fafs wrote:I also wonder how many of those kept dual nationality??
Considering the benefits of having both American and British citizenship, I would estimate it to be at least 95%.

fafs
Newly Registered

Post by fafs » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:02 pm

Hello again,

Wasn't sure where to post this question and didn't want to start a new topic - has anyone else received their acknowledgement letter (post) and biometric letter in the same envelope?

Reading numerous timelines, it seemed quite clear that they were sent separately....

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:22 pm

fafs wrote:Hello again,

Wasn't sure where to post this question and didn't want to start a new topic - has anyone else received their acknowledgement letter (post) and biometric letter in the same envelope?

Reading numerous timelines, it seemed quite clear that they were sent separately....
I only got the biometrics letter which started "thank you for your application" - no separate letter or email. That was early September, approval 31.10.2016.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

fafs
Newly Registered

Post by fafs » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:27 pm

Hmmm.... I received a separate email acknowledgment :)

Email acknowledgement received Monday. Post received (acknowledgement + Biometrics) on Thursday, dated from Monday.

I think it's a good time to put this information on timelines!!!