ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Certificate question for naturalisation

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Emma84

Certificate question for naturalisation

Post by Emma84 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:10 pm

I have just been granted ILR as an unmarried partner of a British citizen, and I was going through the documents I got back from the Birmingham PEO. I noticed that they did not give me back the Life in the UK test certificate. Were they supposed to keep it or give it back to me? I know I can apply for naturalisation in a year and that they need confirmation of UK knowledge.

I know this might be a bit early to be asking this, but I didn't want to leave it too long. Btw I do have a copy of my certificate, but I know the HO don't like copies.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:23 pm

The HO keeps the certificate. They probably have not thought it through when they extended the Life in the UK test to ILR.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:58 pm

There's no need to have the certificate. Not only do they have an electronic record of your test pass, but it will be obvious from the date of your ILR that you would have had to pass the Life in the UK test before being granted ILR.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:08 pm

Dawie wrote:There's no need to have the certificate. Not only do they have an electronic record of your test pass, but it will be obvious from the date of your ILR that you would have had to pass the Life in the UK test before being granted ILR.
The NCS asked me for the certificate when I applied..

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:24 pm

thirdwave wrote:
Dawie wrote:There's no need to have the certificate. Not only do they have an electronic record of your test pass, but it will be obvious from the date of your ILR that you would have had to pass the Life in the UK test before being granted ILR.
Well, it's impossible to supply it because the certificate is taken when you make your ILR application.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:40 pm

Dawie wrote:
thirdwave wrote:
Well, it's impossible to supply it because the certificate is taken when you make your ILR application.
Dawie, I dunno if it was a mistake on the HO's part but in my case they did not.I can`t remember whether the lady at the NCS specifically asked for the Life in UK certificate but I had taken it along just in case and she included a copy of it as well.She also demanded the ID which I had used at the time of taking the test.The thing is she did not say 'hey, you don`t need this' so I am assuming if you have one then there is nothing wrong in submitting it.